Flippin' Stick Wanted

Old June 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Flippin' Stick Wanted

Ok...

I had an 8' flippin stick I really really really really really really liked.
It disappeared out of my boat. I hate to say it was stolen because I was
running up some overgrown brush choked back channels that day, and it is
possible it was dragged out of my boat by a branch. It was in its rod sock,
and it was strapped down, but all kinds of things can happen.

Anyway... here is what I want.

7' 11 3/4" long

Xtra Heavy Power
Mod Fast Speed (That's right)

Blank open to finger under the reel.

Lamiglas makes one, but it has a real dead feel to it.
St Croix's new blue blank Tournament series is not bad, but it is awfully
tip heavy.

Here is a feature I would like, but is not an absolute must.

Slightly shorter base handle than the average flipping stick (2-3 inches
shorter), and weight added inside the base of the blank to counter the
shorter handle. This will give a functionally longer rod for flipping
without breaking the 8' max rule.

Don't even suggest a tip heavy rod. We are known to start flipping out here
and never stop all day long.

Am I willing to pay for custom? Maybe. Depends on how much.

The company (Tica) who made the one I lost is still in business, but I can't
find anybody who stocks these rods in this part of the country.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old June 16th, 2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Bob, have you considered contacting Tica directly? Or, if they do have one
you like, take the model number to your local dealer and see if they can get
one for you.

I wonder too, would the St. Croix Tournament series rod still feel tip heavy
if weight was added to the butt as you wish?

I do agree with you about the shorter butt grip. I find most flippin sticks
have too long of a butt grip and it just gets in the way when I'm
flippin/pitchin. I know that a longer section would have more leverage when
fighting a fish, but I guess I have to ask myself, "what am I doing more,
flippin/pitchin or leaning on fish?"

I wish it was the latter, but I have to be realistic and know it's the
former.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 16th, 2006, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

The flippin stick Steve made for the firsty NWC is fantastic - I
flipped and pitched to logs at Lake Weiss for 7 hours last Sat and six
more last Sunday with it, caught a few bass on it too. It is well
balanced, not too heavy and I can use it both ways. I have caught
bass up to 7.25 pounds on it - so far.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old June 16th, 2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I have. I didn't really understand their reply.

Or, if they do have one
you like, take the model number to your local dealer and see if they can
get one for you.

Nobody in Arizona as near as I can tell sells Tica. The one I had (two
actually, but I broke the first one) came from Big 5 as a closeout.

I wonder too, would the St. Croix Tournament series rod still feel tip
heavy if weight was added to the butt as you wish?

I thought about that. Cutting the cork, weighting the butt, and then
glueing it back sure seems like an awfully lot of work for a rod that sells
for nearly 3 bills, but it might wind up being my only solution.

I have contacted a few Tica dealers, but have gotten no response except from
a guy name Blaine back east somewhere. Blaine's response was that I should
"stop in" and look through the catalog with him. LOL.

Ah, well the hunt goes on eh?

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old June 16th, 2006, 05:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Ronnie" wrote in message
oups.com...
The flippin stick Steve made for the firsty NWC is fantastic - I
flipped and pitched to logs at Lake Weiss for 7 hours last Sat and six
more last Sunday with it, caught a few bass on it too. It is well
balanced, not too heavy and I can use it both ways. I have caught
bass up to 7.25 pounds on it - so far.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Ronnie, I seriously considered asking Steve what he would charge to make me
one. Not sure I could afford it, but... There is a local rod builder I like
that I have considered asking also.

Old June 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Why not have our man Huber build you a custom stick right to your specs Bob?
I can vouch for his expert craftsmanship, he built the flippin stick I've
been using for 5 years...

Warren

Old June 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
Why not have our man Huber build you a custom stick right to your specs
Bob? I can vouch for his expert craftsmanship, he built the flippin stick
I've been using for 5 years...

I certainly considered it. Don't know if I can afford it...

What about it Steve? Can I afford your skills?

Old June 17th, 2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Might as well pony up for it Bob, Steve builds a very functional rod!

--
______________________________
Dave Norton
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Bob La Londe wrote:
"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message

Why not have our man Huber build you a custom stick right to your specs
Bob? I can vouch for his expert craftsmanship, he built the flippin stick
I've been using for 5 years...

I certainly considered it. Don't know if I can afford it...

What about it Steve? Can I afford your skills?

I can't vouch for his flippin's sticks, since the one Steve Huber rod I
own is a dropshot rod. But it is by far the best drop shot rod I've ever
held in my hand, and the guys who've fished with me and fallen in love
with it enough to order one like it all have nothing but praise for it.
Old June 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
Why not have our man Huber build you a custom stick right to your specs
Bob? I can vouch for his expert craftsmanship, he built the flippin stick
I've been using for 5 years...

I certainly considered it. Don't know if I can afford it...

What about it Steve? Can I afford your skills?

Shucks, there's always bank loans....

LOL, just kidding. Contact me via private email and we can discuss this
further.