Christmas pressies for fisherman?

Old November 14th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Derek.Moody

Default Christmas pressies for fisherman?

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
carrying it to trim his finger nails!

Though it gets complicated when a young chef carrying his knife-roll home
after serving a dinner-dance at the Town Hall drops into his local for a
well deserved pint before they close...

I suppose John Major's initiative banning articles that had no-other use
than as weapons but not those which have any legitimate use is about as far
as you can safely go with black and white lawmaking.

Cheerio,

Old November 14th, 2004, 08:05 PM
suspicious minds

"GasMan" wrote in message
ali-p wrote:
"Derek" wrote in message

if I was to carry a pocket knife in Ayr I would be arrested for carrying
an offensive weapon.... No Knives - Zero Tolerence...

shame about the world we live in today !!!

I find this rather worrying as I intend to visit Scotland next year
fishing and will have a knife (or two) in my possession. Does this mean
that I will be at risk of arrest as soon as I cross the Scottish border or
only when I reach the Ayr region?

Needless to say I have searched on Google and can find no specific change
in the law relating to Scotland. I will be pleased if you will supply a
reference.

Regards

GasMan

No you would not be arrested see Section1(3),(4) below

Carrying of Knives etc. (Scotland) Act 1993 (c. 13)
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1993...30013_en_1.htm
Offence of having in public place article with blade or point.

1.-(1) Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person
who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place
shall be guilty of an offence and liable-
(a) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding
six months or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or both; and
(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not
exceeding two years or a fine or both.
(2) Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any
article which has a blade or is sharply pointed.

(3) This section does not apply to a folding pocketknife if the
cutting edge of its blade does not exceed three inches.

(4) It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence
under subsection (1) above to prove that he had good reason or lawful
authority for having the article with him in the public place.

(5) Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above,
it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection
(1) above to prove that he had the article with him-
(a) for use at work;
(b) for religious reasons; or
(c) as part of any national costume.
(6) Where a person is convicted of an offence under subsection (1)
above the court may make an order for the forfeiture of any article to which
the offence relates, and any article forfeited under this subsection shall
(subject to section 443A of the [1975 c. 21.] Criminal Procedure (Scotland)
Act 1975 (suspension of forfeiture etc, pending appeal)) be disposed of as
the court may direct.

(7) In this section "public place" includes any place to which at
the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on
payment or otherwise

Old November 15th, 2004, 02:06 AM
ali-p

not too long ago in Ayr a Childrens Magician had his 'Magic Wand'
confiscated because it was deemed an offensive weapon.... this made headline
news so some of you may have heard about it .

maybe they (the powers that be) thought they shouldn't underestimate the
powers of the magician and he would turn the kids into frogs or mice or....

ali-p
"suspicious minds" wrote in message

"GasMan" wrote in message
ali-p wrote:
"Derek" wrote in message

[...]

subsection (1) above to prove that he had the article with him-

Old November 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
W. D. Grey

In article , GasMan
writes
We regularly here about zero-tolerance for this, that and thee other
but rarely does it seem to be based on the law.

My understanding of the carrying of an offensive weapon eg a knife
is that there are two classes of offensive weapon ie a sword stick
or some other type of 'weapon' are an offensive weapon per se.
However a kitchen knife, lino knife or chefs knife etc (what the man
on the Clapham Omnibus would describe as tools) and hence have to be
proven to be intended to be used as an offensive weapon IYSWIM.

A youngster going to a disco carrying a 10 inch chef's knife isn't
carrying it to trim his finger nails!

N.B. VERY selective snipping.

And your point is? Did you not read the example given?

Not making a point, just amplifying the one already made.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

Old November 16th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Derek

Magicians Wand? Well Ali you have to admit theres always one in every bunch,
but I still stand by my recommendation a swiss army knife is pretty well THE
present any sportsman can find a use for (excepting the thing for getting
boyscouts out of horsehooves or similar) lets pose a question what extra
tool would you want including on your S.A.K.
Derek

---

Old November 17th, 2004, 02:15 AM
ali-p

"Derek" wrote in message

lets pose a question what extra
tool would you want including on your S.A.K.
Derek

I would like on mine a petrol lighter (Zippo type thingy)
(That would give the Polis something to rant about -stabbing ,slashing and
setting fire to them!!!!!)
ali-p

Old November 17th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Gordon Entwistle

Whats wrong with a large bottle or two of Jack Daniels
Cheers
Gordon
"Derek" wrote in message

"Rachael Reynolds" wrote in message
Any thoughts on what a fisherman who probably has everything already

might
like for Christmas? Up to about £100 would be good!
Thanks
Rachael

How about a really stonking swiss army knife I never leave home without

one
(eat your heart out Alan Whicker) seriously once you have owned one its
difficult to remember why you hadn't bought one before, Vicky bought me a
deluxe one last christmas and we both carry the small keyring models
Derek

---