Searchin' for Fly stuff and found this...

Old May 25th, 2009, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen

Default Searchin' for Fly stuff and found this...

55576. MARRYAT MADE GEHRKE REEL. 3-1/8". MR 8A FLY
REEL. Barely used, near mint condition example of
the Original George Gehrke Reel made for Gehrke,
U.S.A. by Marryat before they brought out the same
reel completely under their own name. This private
label lasted less than a year in the early 1980's,
so these original Gehrke World Supreme marked
Marryats are really very rare and collectible.
This is the same reel as the later model Marryats.
Reversible. Adjustable drag. Rim control.
Counter-balanced spool with exceptionally large
line capacity for a small reel. Gold finish. Now
set up left hand wind. Comes WITH AN EXTRA SPOOL
in a Double Decker Suede reel case. N/M. $250.00.

http://www.codella.com/usedreel.htm

Op

Old May 25th, 2009, 03:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen

Default Searchin' for Fly stuff and found this too...

Gehrke, George

BF513 Gehrke, George 7'6", 2/2 ******* Bamboo
2754 (2 piece, 7'6", 4 weight) Happy Hooker 0007
of 1000. Western series. Weighing 3.8 oz.
Semi-tempered flamed cane blanks. Cigar cork grip.
Agatine stripping guide. Down-sliding nickel
silver cap and ring over curly maple insert reel
seat. Nickel silver ferrules. Includes aluminum
tube and cloth bag. Excellent condition. $725.

http://www.ricksrods.com/tackle.html

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in
message

Old May 25th, 2009, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark H. Bowen

I was just playin' around lookin' for the selling
prices of the rods I happen to own, though I would
never sell another, since they came to me via dad.
I thought it was neat to see that George had his
own reel line through a major manufacturer. And
then came across the ******* rod. I really never
had any serious dealings with George, so I hold no
ill-will toward him, not that it would matter much
if I did except that it would show how very
strange I *really* am, considerin' he is somewhat
deceased.

Op

"asadi" wrote in
message

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in
message
55576. MARRYAT MADE GEHRKE REEL. 3-1/8". MR 8A
FLY REEL. Barely used, near mint condition
example of the Original George Gehrke Reel made
for Gehrke, U.S.A. by Marryat before they
brought out the same reel completely under
their own name. This private label lasted less
than a year in the early 1980's, so these
original Gehrke World Supreme marked Marryats
are really very rare and collectible. This is
the same reel as the later model Marryats.
Reversible. Adjustable drag. Rim control.
Counter-balanced spool with exceptionally large
line capacity for a small reel. Gold finish.
Now set up left hand wind. Comes WITH AN EXTRA
SPOOL in a Double Decker Suede reel case. N/M.
$250.00.

http://www.codella.com/usedreel.htm

Op

You never cease to amaze me....

John

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message
55576. MARRYAT MADE GEHRKE REEL. 3-1/8". MR 8A FLY REEL. Barely used, near
mint condition example of the Original George Gehrke Reel made for Gehrke,
U.S.A. by Marryat before they brought out the same reel completely under
their own name. This private label lasted less than a year in the early
1980's, so these original Gehrke World Supreme marked Marryats are really
very rare and collectible. This is the same reel as the later model
Marryats. Reversible. Adjustable drag. Rim control. Counter-balanced spool
with exceptionally large line capacity for a small reel. Gold finish. Now
set up left hand wind. Comes WITH AN EXTRA SPOOL in a Double Decker Suede
reel case. N/M. $250.00.

http://www.codella.com/usedreel.htm

Op

I tried to order one of the bamboo rods he was making...it was kinda
sad...you know....watching things fall apart.

later, I guess it was one of his son's (?) asked if I still wanted the
rod.....gosh I feel guilty in that I never did reply.

I've since met a lot of people who knew George and learned a lot more of the
story...I have nothing to say....

....other than I emailed the guy and made an offer on the reel...

Op, we must fish together soon...I went to the doctor and he confirmed the
diagnosis..it's a fact, I AM going to die!

.....just don't know when....

John

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"asadi" wrote in message

"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in message
55576. MARRYAT MADE GEHRKE REEL. 3-1/8". MR 8A FLY REEL. Barely used,
near mint condition example of the Original George Gehrke Reel made for
Gehrke, U.S.A. by Marryat before they brought out the same reel
completely under their own name. This private label lasted less than a
year in the early 1980's, so these original Gehrke World Supreme marked
Marryats are really very rare and collectible. This is the same reel as
the later model Marryats. Reversible. Adjustable drag. Rim control.
Counter-balanced spool with exceptionally large line capacity for a
small reel. Gold finish. Now set up left hand wind. Comes WITH AN EXTRA
SPOOL in a Double Decker Suede reel case. N/M. $250.00.

http://www.codella.com/usedreel.htm

Op

You never cease to amaze me....

John

I put in an offer...just for the sake of dear old George, but the guy was
pretty firm on his price....I kinda thought it might look good wrapped in a
"Reel Men don't Use Gink" hat....

john

Old May 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On May 25, 4:11*am, "asadi" wrote:
"Mark H. Bowen" wrote in ...

I was just playin' around lookin' for the selling prices of the rods I
happen to own, though I would never sell another, since they came to me via
dad. I thought it was neat to see that George had his own reel line through
a major manufacturer. And then came across the ******* rod. I really never
had any serious dealings with George, so I hold no ill-will toward him, not
that it would matter much if I did except that it would show how very
strange I *really* am, considerin' he is somewhat deceased.

Op

"asadi" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

john- Hide quoted text -

How cool and nostalgic. I still wear the 'Reel Men' hat Dave the
Pirate gave me many years ago. Nobody ever reads the back logo (don't
use gink) and even if they did, most wouldn't know what it meant. But
I do, and I'm happy to explain that love/hate history.

--
Stan (lost in a haze)