Carp on the Fly

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:26 PM
brians

Default Carp on the Fly

Greg Pavlov wrote:

On Sun, 02 May 2004 07:22:14 -0400, Jeff Miller
wrote:

once in an evergreen impoundment at lake mattamuskeet, jim and i watched
huge carp leaping out of the water like mullet... interesting to see
such fat butt-ugly fish doing lovely air ballet...

I've seen them do that in reservoirs
and always wondered about the reasons
for it.

Odd isn't it. Seems like a low light(early AM, late PM)activity. Besides
seeing them airborne, i've seen them rubbing up against a metal pole in
the water. This can get to the point of the pole moving back and forth,
or almost vibrating. Probably getting rid of some sort of parasite, but
I like to think they're just scratching an itch.

brians

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:19 PM
Willi and Sue

Jeff Miller wrote:
interesting to see
such fat butt-ugly fish doing lovely air ballet...

What's interesting to me are the cultural differences in the perception
of beauty. Judging by the frequent inclusion of carp in artwork by the
Chinese and the work they did to "enhance" the species, I'd hazard a
guess that they find the fish beautiful.

Willi

Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:28 PM
Doug Kanter

"Willi and Sue" wrote in message
Jeff Miller wrote:
interesting to see
such fat butt-ugly fish doing lovely air ballet...

What's interesting to me are the cultural differences in the perception
of beauty. Judging by the frequent inclusion of carp in artwork by the
Chinese and the work they did to "enhance" the species, I'd hazard a
guess that they find the fish beautiful.

My grandmother used to swoon when handed a fresh carp, but she had gefilte
fish in mind when this happened. Priceless.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
Jeff Miller

there's just no accounting for taste, or mythologies...:

"The Koi Carp is regularly featured in Chinese paintings since the Carp
is particularly symbolic in the Chinese culture. Buyers of this art are
often seeking the good fortune associated with its meaning.

"Carp" is similar sounding to the word "business" in Chinese. It is also
homophonic with "profit" or "advantage" whilst "fish" is homophonic to
"surplus" or "wealth". Paintings featuring Koi Carp are therefore
considered symbolic of good fortune in business or academic life. The
Carp is also considered a symbol of endurance and perseverance, and is
said to be able to progress along the mighty rapids of the Yellow River
leaving all other fish behind. Comparisons are drawn with businessmen
seeking advantage over their competitors.

Carp, according to ancient belief could transform themselves into
dragons when they reached 100 years old. ..."

and another quote:

"Fish symbolise of water, regeneration and fertility and are sometimes
used as a charm to prevent evil events. As fish are happy in their own
environment they signify marital bliss and harmony. Fish are said to
swim in pairs as an emblem of the joys of union this is generally
undrstood to be sexual union. Because of this, at a Chinese wedding, the
bride's family will often give gifts that display designs or paintings
of Carp.

In the past the Carp was usually known as a symbol of perseverance,
endurance and fortitude. It was also associated with the god of
literature. It was believed that the Carp could jump over the rapids of
the Yellow River and leav all the other fish behind. This has
traditionally been associated with scholars gaining higher examination
scores than their peers or businessmen getting ahead of their
competition. This is the reason Chinese carp paintings are often
displayed in the study or office.

In Chinese Buddhism fish symbolise freedom from all restraints. As in
the water a fish moves easily in any direction, so in the Buddha-state
the enlightened knows no obstruction or restraint."

-from googled sources...

my exposure to the chinese waters is limited to those shown on teevee,
mainly yangtze and yellow rivers...they looked like good carp
habitat...nasty muddy. the chinese art, otoh, is magnificent stuff.

Old May 5th, 2004, 01:30 AM
Wayne Harrison

"Willi and Sue" wrote What's interesting to me are the
cultural differences in the perception
of beauty. Judging by the frequent inclusion of carp in artwork by the
Chinese and the work they did to "enhance" the species, I'd hazard a
guess that they find the fish beautiful.

is it only me, or have others noted the *significant* ...change... in
your usenet address...

yfitons
wayno

Old May 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Chas Wade

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Greyhound? What kind of drag would a reel need in order to deal with
the
reel spinning at that speed, without overheating?

Sorry to inject a bit of serious response in this fun, but Wahoo, also
called Ono, have been clocked at 72 mph, way faster than a greyhound.
Northern Pike are the fastest freshwater fish, and I can't remember for
sure, but I think it's near 30 mph for them. The better disc drag
systems can handle heat way beyond what the line wrapped around the
arbor can handle.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old May 5th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Chas Wade

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Of course carp physiology is different. That's why carp are found
in warm, muddy backwaters and trout are not. If you're trying to
say that carp recover from stress, or not, in the same way that
trout and bass do, I would question that assumption as well.

My experience with carp indicates that they are very hard to kill, quit
unlike trout. We caught one long ago in Wisconsin that my father left
lying in the bottom of the boat to dry for over an hour. The fish was
dry all over, and didn't move it's gills or anything else for most of
that time. We dumped it over the side in 4 feet of water and I watched
it on the bottom. After a while I looked again, and it was gone.

Should it be abused? Of course not, but a 12 lb carp on 6lb leader can
easily take 10 to 15 minutes to tire enough to land, and I'm sure he'll
be none the worse for wear when released.

Old May 5th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Willi and Sue

Wayne Harrison wrote:
"Willi and Sue" wrote What's interesting to me

are the
cultural differences in the perception

of beauty. Judging by the frequent inclusion of carp in artwork by the
Chinese and the work they did to "enhance" the species, I'd hazard a
guess that they find the fish beautiful.

is it only me, or have others noted the *significant*

....change... in
your usenet address...

yfitons
wayno