Car Keys

Old July 12th, 2004, 12:36 PM
-- Rob

Default Car Keys

So if you've had your car for a while
you may want to carry an extra key with you.

I'm confused (very easy I know). With 5 drivers in the house, I have had a fair
number of cars of various vintages through the years and have never had nor
heard of this problem.

one question: what kind of car was it?
Old July 12th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Tim J.

"Greg Pavlov" wrote...
"riverman" wrote:

More importantly, what type of key. A lot of keys are made of aluminum,
which, when run repeatedly through locks with steel tumblers, will wear down
and stop working. Similarly, some cheaper locks will have aluminum tumblers,
and steel keys will wear those down fast. You need to ensure that the
materials are matched.

The key is soft. The line of reasoning I got from the
dealer who fixed the problem was "what would you
rather have wear out, the key or the switch ?" Neither ? :-)

Then there's always the possibility that you're as hard on car keys as you are
on rods.
--
TL,
Tim

Old July 12th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Particle Salad

I had the same problem with my old CRX. If I moved the key around, I could
get it to work for a while, but not anymore.. though it still works in the
doors!

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.

"Greg Pavlov" wrote in message
Peter and I had an experience I hadn't expected:
we got back to my van after a day's fishing and
found out that the key wouldn't turn in the ignition.
After a tow to a dealer, etc, the diagnosis was
that the key was worn. The van is 3 and a half
years old and the key worked fine righr up to that
point. I've found out that other people have had
that problem and also with no advance warning
of ani kind. So if you've had your car for a while
you may want to carry an extra key with you.

Old July 12th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Scott Seidman

Greg Pavlov wrote in
:

Peter and I had an experience I hadn't expected:
we got back to my van after a day's fishing and
found out that the key wouldn't turn in the ignition.
After a tow to a dealer, etc, the diagnosis was
that the key was worn. The van is 3 and a half
years old and the key worked fine righr up to that
point. I've found out that other people have had
that problem and also with no advance warning
of ani kind. So if you've had your car for a while
you may want to carry an extra key with you.

I'm surprised Peter couldn't just fashion a new key out of a Spey Rod
blank, and put the two of you on your way :-)

Scott
(Spey Rods... Is there anything they can't do??)

Old July 12th, 2004, 09:52 PM
daytripper

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:01:14 -0400, Greg Pavlov
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 10:08:31 -0400, "Tim J."
wrote:

Then there's always the possibility that you're as hard on car keys as you are
on rods.

The person who used it last before it failed was Peter.
SO, according to the Clinton rule, it's *his* fault !

Yes, I'm surprised Slippery Dick hasn't checked in with that bit o' tripe by
now...
Old July 12th, 2004, 09:53 PM
daytripper

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 00:30:44 -0400, Greg Pavlov
wrote:

Peter and I had an experience I hadn't expected:
we got back to my van after a day's fishing and
found out that the key wouldn't turn in the ignition.
After a tow to a dealer, etc, the diagnosis was
that the key was worn. The van is 3 and a half
years old and the key worked fine righr up to that
point. I've found out that other people have had
that problem and also with no advance warning
of ani kind. So if you've had your car for a while
you may want to carry an extra key with you.

That's taking Planned Obsolescence to an extreme, ainnit?
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:00 PM
SteveB

One cause of key wear and failure is when it is twisted too hard in the
lock. When the ignition is shut off, the steering wheel will kick back a
bit sometimes if the tire/wheel is in the turned position and the power
steering pump stops pumping. You know, when you have to twist the steering
wheel to get the key to twist at ALL. Or if you have hambone hands, you can
twist the key real hard. On a soft metal key, this would grind a lot of
metal. On any metal, it really chews the key and tumblers.

I know it is a PITA to get in and fiddle with the steering wheel. But I had
to have an ignition switch replaced, and it cost quite a bit. The guy told
me about how to wiggle or turn the wheel a bit to keep the stress off the
key and ignition, and I believe him. He says he sees a lot of keys twisted
off when they have deep cuts in the pattern, or someone just tries to twist
it with their hambone hands.

Steve