Hooked

Old July 22nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Peter Charles

Default Hooked

On 22 Jul 2004 18:34:44 GMT, Scott Seidman
wrote:

(-- Rob) wrote in
:

(3) learn to backcast so I can switch sides to compensate for bad
cross wind

Also, learn to cast with either hand

Scott

and get a two-handed rod that makes this process a lot easier, plus it
tends to keep the fly higher

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html

Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:46 PM
-- Rob

Also, learn to cast with either hand

Scott

and get a two-handed rod that makes this process a lot easier, plus it
tends to keep the fly higher

Peter

I've seen a very impressive video clip with a 2 handed stick meant for the
surf. But it's not to be this year. I *can* try working on a left hand cast, or
the backcast which seems to be more popular.

-- Rob

Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:49 PM
-- Rob

I usually use a 5-6 ft chunk of stiff mono. I also wear a
Tilly hat with a very wide brim that seems to deflect

5-6 ft was (and is) recommended for night fishing for stripers with a sinking
line. I cut back my leader, but not nearly enough and didn't think it was going
to be that much of a problem (duh!).

Thankfully, I wear glasses all the time, and also always wears a baseball cap,
both of which probably combined to deflect it enough to avoid real serious
injury.
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:30 PM
Jeff Taylor

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

I need glasses for reading only, but I had a pair made
up with plain glass and a low-cut reading bifocal on the
bottom for gray day and night fishing. I did that after the
very first time I tried to cast a 2/0 clouser.

The risk is very real......and obvious. Oddly enough, I've never known

nor
even heard of anyone taking a shot to the eye, as far as I recall.

Anybody
else?

Wolfgang

A couple years ago I was reading a fly fishing magazine and a sunglass
company (not sure which one) had a picture of a guy that had about a #14
Adams stuck right in the middle of his eye... It was nasty lookin' to say
the least. Makes my eyes water thinking about it. Anyway, the caption at the
bottom of the add, said "Sunglasses protect your eyes from more than just
the sun"

JT

Old July 24th, 2004, 12:36 AM
-- Rob

The risk is very real......and obvious. Oddly enough, I've never known nor
even heard of anyone taking a shot to the eye, as far as I recall. Anybody
else?

Wolfgang

Not direct in the eye, but my friend's dad took one right in his
eyebrow...close enough to ensure wearing eye protection from then on.