See Joe.... See Joe Fish.... Fish, Joe, Fish.

Old February 26th, 2005, 03:35 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Default See Joe.... See Joe Fish.... Fish, Joe, Fish.

This Sunday on OLN (8:30 EST / 7:30 CST), the question of whether I can
actually catch a fish, or merely hold others' fish up for a camera, may be
settled once and for all. One never knows what will come out of the Fishing
University editing room. Here is one possible outcome:

____Fishing With Charlie____

"See us fish," said Joe.

"See us fish on the nice boat."

"It is a Ranger boat." said Charlie. "It goes fast."

"Yes," said Joe. "It is a fast boat."

"Now catch a fish, Joe," said Charlie.

"Catch a big fish with your bait."

"I will try," said Joe.

Charlie said, "Look, look, look. I have caught one!"

"I caught a fish with the bait. See the fish!"

"Yes," said Joe. "That is a nice fish. It is a nice bass."

"Now it is your turn" Charlie said. "Wait! I have another fish."

"You are good." said Joe. "Now I will catch one."

"Oh, look. There is another fish," said Charlie. "It bit my bait."

"Yes," said Joe, "that is a very nice bass, too."

"It is not as big as the first one," said Charlie.

"No, but it is a nice, big fish," said Joe, "and it has a big mouth."

"Do you not want to catch a fish, Joe?" said Charlie.

"Yes... a very big mouth," said Joe.

"Wait. I have another fish. Will you lip it, Joe?"

"No. It is your dang fish. You lip it," said Joe.

"That is all right, Joe. Wait! Now I have another fish."

"I do not want to hear about it, Charlie," said Joe.

"Do you not want to catch a fish, Joe?" said Charlie.

"I will try," said Joe. "I will try again."

"Oh, my! Now I have a very big fish!" said Charlie.

"Wait. I will help you. I will hold the net for you."

"Watch out!" Charlie said. "Oh, you will hit my fish."

"You knocked the big fish off my bait!"

"Oh.... too bad," said Joe. "Better luck next time."

Charlie said, "That is all right. I have another fish on, now."

"My arm is getting tired, Joe. These fish are heavy."

"Help. Help. Help! Will you help me, Joe?"

"Shut up, Charlie."

*

Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com
First real spinnerbait change in 50 years!
_______________________

Old February 26th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in
message ...
This Sunday on OLN (8:30 EST / 7:30 CST), the question of whether I can
actually catch a fish, or merely hold others' fish up for a camera, may be
settled once and for all. One never knows what will come out of the
Fishing
University editing room. Here is one possible outcome:

I'm sure you held your own and did a fine job. We get OLN and hopefully
I'll be able to watch, but I'll be on duty at the firehouse, so it all
depends on how busy we are.

But fishing on tv is different than in real life, isn't it?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Joe Haubenreich

The fishing was pretty typical for me... lot's of casting to stickups,
laydowns, docks, and vegetation.... few bites.

One big difference was positioning. Not boat positioning, but positioning
myself. I made myself dizzy trying to twist around so the camera would get
my good side. (Charlie claimed that for TV, it would be my back.) Sometimes,
when I saw the camera pointed my way, I attempted to strike the "Old Salt"
pose..... body taut as a steel spring, alert to the slightest twitch of my
line.... eyes sweeping from target to target... seeming to penetrate the
water's surface to discern where the fish lurked in ambush.... squinting
into the sun, tasting the breeze, and scanning the skies to keep in touch
with the currents of nature swirling around us.... straining to hold my
belly in the whole time.

Another thing that was different was trying to come up with something to
say. When I fish, I usually just shut up or ramble on without really saying
anything of note. But with the cameras running, the pressure was on to let
drop an earthy phrase or two. You know... the stuff we've come to expect of
TV fishermen.

Most the colorful expressions were claimed long ago ("Oh, son!" "C'mon in
here, you fat-bellied joker, you." "What a hawg!" "It just don't get any
better 'an this."), but Charlie Ingram is the master of country boy'isms
("I'm having mo' fun than a pig in slop') so I knew there would be pressure
on me to hold up my end of the good ol' boy conversation as a native
Tennessean.

I tried to recall what I'd picked up from Patrick McManus about talking like
Hemingway. I thought that would be a good idea. He was ready with the right
thing to say, but all I could remember was how hard I'd laughed at Pat's
stories. I ended up making up and rehearsing a couple dozen phrases on the
drive down to Alabama.

"Dag-nabbit! This ol' backlash looks like the cat done got in Granny's
knittin' basket agin!" ... "Ah reckon them squirrels ain't much interested
in spinnerbaits. Think I'll aim fo' the lake next time." ... "That ol' fish
hit smacked maw bait like th'express train outta Huntsville! How ever did it
slip that hook!?" ... "Well... so much fo' flipping around pontoon boats.
Mind backing up so I can fetch my bait?" ... "Whoo-wee!.... that fish liked
to jerk me right outta this boat!".

I then sprinkled them in my conversation, as appropriate, throughout the
day. You never know when the camera will be running or something will happen
that will make the edit cuts, so I pretty much kept up a non-stop patter of
earthy sayings. Wore me out!

If I recollect, Charlie's favorite saying for the day was, "More fish...
less talk."

Joe
____________________________
"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:05 PM

go-bassn wrote:
[...]

=

Joe, I think you did a fine job! Very nice fish catching, speaking, and
explaining. You did S.W.L. proud! When these anglers see the show,
they'll be
foaming at the mouth to get a hold of a S.W.L. spinnerbait! And soon
they'll
know what we (friends of S.W.L.) know. "The best spinnerbait bar none"
Hopefully theywon't keep the "Secret Weapon" to themselves, but rather
share the news with their fellow anglers.

Justin Hires
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
www.BateyCustomLures.com
www.USABassin.com

Old February 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Huck Palmatier

"Charlie back up a second so I can get this thing out of the
tree"........thought we'd miss that part didn't you?
asked Huck

Old February 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM
BassAkwards

Joe Haubenreich (at dot) wrote:
This Sunday on OLN (8:30 EST / 7:30 CST), the question of whether I

can
actually catch a fish, or merely hold others' fish up for a camera,

may be
settled once and for all. One never knows what will come out of the

Fishing
University editing room.

snipped by JoeD
_______________________

Joe,
I had the opportunity to watch the show this past Saturday. It was both
informative and educational. As I'm not the most proficient Spinner
Bait angler on the water, I was able to pick up some practical tips.
Thanks for the lesson.

I hope your business benefits from the excellent exposure, as you and
your team really deserve it.

JoeD

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:26 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Thanks, Joe. I learned a lot, that's for sure, and I'm glad others did as
well.

Joe
____________
oups.com...

Old March 1st, 2005, 04:31 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Yes... I left that out. I figured by now everyone knew my fishing and
hanging lures in trees went hand in hand..... goes without saying. I think
Charles posted a photo of me climbing a tree last fall trying to retrieve a
lure. Kind of wish maw hadn't chopped my tail off when I was a young'un
now.... it might have come in useful for hanging on and freeing my hands to
fetch lures.

Aren't you glad they didn't include all the times I was hung up on the
brush, under logs, or wrapped around branches in the show? If they had, the
show could easily have stretched out to an hour or more.

Joe

Old March 1st, 2005, 03:43 PM
Ronnie Garrison

Joe Haubenreich wrote:

Yes... I left that out. I figured by now everyone knew my fishing and
hanging lures in trees went hand in hand..... goes without saying. \

You didn't get hung in any trees when fishing with me in Kentucky - of
course, the nearest tree was a couple hundred yards away most of the day!