July night tournament

Old July 26th, 2010, 03:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default July night tournament

Saturday - July 24, 2010 - Day 177 - 29 days missed

Spalding County Sportsman Club tournament
Lake Sinclair - 6 PM to 2 AM
Water 96 degrees, air in 90s, no breeze, sunny until sundown and HOT

Started on hump where I hooked two in last tournament but nothing
there - even on depthfinder. After an hour started fishing docks in
shady coves - sun was still hot even at 7 PM.

At 8 while fishing a dock I saw brush on my depthfinder and threw a
Texas rigged Mag 2 worm in Redbug to it and got a peck, and landed a
bare 12 inch keeper. One in the livewell at 8:15.

I noticed a green and blue glow under the dock and a guy came walking
out - figured he was going to turn his lights off. Instead we started
talking - he makes and markets Hydro Glow Fishing Lights. He said
there would be lots of bass around the dock in about two hours and he
had caught a 7 pounder there two nights ago. He told me to fish it
wish worms and crankbaits. Shad were already circling the light as
soon as the sun went down.

He walked off and a few mintues later I caught my second keeper on a
jig head worm. Two at 9:00 PM. At about 9:30 he came back and we
could see a couple of bass in the light - I threw a #5 Shadrap and
caught a solid keeper. It had swallowed the crankbait. Three at
9:40. He left and I called my wife - while talking I got a hit on a
jig head, put the phone down and landed my fourth keeper at 10:00 PM

Picked the phone up and told her I was going to stay there the rest of
the night. At 11 I was wondering if I chose right. Then, at 11:20 I
got another small keeper on the jig head - a limit but two were small.

At midnight I got a hit on the jig head worm and landed one that
culled the first one I caught.

I tried two more docks - about 100 yards on either side of the one
with the Hydro Glow light. One had a bright street light hanging over
the water and I caught a bluegill on the Shadrap. There were no shad
around it. The other light had brush under it and it was very dim and
right on the water. No hits there and no shad, either.

At 1:30 I left and threw a spinnerbait on some riprap on the way to
the weigh-in but no hits.

At weigh-in Kwong had three fish - but one was a 7.17 pounder. His
9,91 pounds won. My five weighed 7.28 and was second. Third went to
Brent - the only other limit - with 6.37.. Fourth was two bass
weighing 2.29. Very tough night 7 out of 15 fishermen zeroed.

If I had a dock or tied up and fished at night, I would have one of
those lights!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old July 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Ronnie" wrote in message
[...]

I'm surprised that there were no bait fish under the "other" light. I have
canoe drifted at night with a Coleman Propane lantern and had shiners just
swarming the boat. Ask the guy with a the light to sink a plastic fish
cover of some kind at the end of his dock.

Old August 5th, 2010, 04:47 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

July night tournament

At weigh-in Kwong had three fish - but one was a 7.17 pounder. His 9,91
pounds won. My five weighed 7.28 and was second. Third went to Brent -
the only other limit - with 6.37.. Fourth was two bass weighing 2.29.
Very tough night 7 out of 15 fishermen zeroed.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

======

Nice finish Ronnie....in a tough tournament!

John

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

I'm surprised that there were no bait fish under the "other" light. *I have
canoe drifted at night with a Coleman Propane lantern and had shiners just
swarming the boat. *Ask the guy with a the light to sink a plastic fish
cover of some kind at the end of his dock.

The guy that invented the light told me blue worked in sal****er but
not in fresh, and the shad seemed to agree, since they were hanging
about eight feet apart. And there was cover out from them. Never seen
a blue coleman lantern.

All three docks were near each other and the baitfish all went to the
hydroglow light, I guess, all three docks had brushpiles - real ones,
not plastic.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Aug 4, 11:47*pm, (John B) wrote:
July night tournament *

At weigh-in Kwong had three fish - but one was a 7.17 pounder. His 9,91
pounds won. My five weighed 7.28 and was second. Third went to Brent -
the only other limit - with 6.37.. Fourth was two bass weighing 2.29.
Very tough night 7 out of 15 fishermen zeroed.

Ronnie

======

Nice finish Ronnie....in a tough tournament!

John *

It was a tough one.

I just got back from Alaska - great halibut and salmon fishing, but
almost my last trip. Did you hear about the airplane hitting an eagle
while taking off from Sitka Sunday? I was sitting just over and in
front of the engine that sucked it in just before we achieved air
speed - we stopped about 100 yards short of the end of the runway and
bay. Did I mention I HATE FLYING????

Ronnie
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
danl

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:29:49 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
wrote:

On Aug 4, 11:47*pm, (John B) wrote:
July night tournament *

At weigh-in Kwong had three fish - but one was a 7.17 pounder. His 9,91
pounds won. My five weighed 7.28 and was second. Third went to Brent -
the only other limit - with 6.37.. Fourth was two bass weighing 2.29.
Very tough night 7 out of 15 fishermen zeroed.

Ronnie

======

Nice finish Ronnie....in a tough tournament!

John *

It was a tough one.

I just got back from Alaska - great halibut and salmon fishing, but
almost my last trip. Did you hear about the airplane hitting an eagle
while taking off from Sitka Sunday? I was sitting just over and in
front of the engine that sucked it in just before we achieved air
speed - we stopped about 100 yards short of the end of the runway and
bay. Did I mention I HATE FLYING????

Ronnie

Damn, did they serve extra drinks?

Dan
Old August 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

On Aug 10, 4:25*pm, danl wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:29:49 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie

wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:47*pm, (John B) wrote:
July night tournament *

[...]

Four hours later when they brought us another plane the drinks were
free from Sitka to Seattle. I had a few - after a few in the bar
during the wait.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old August 11th, 2010, 02:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

July night tournament

It was a tough one.

**I just got back from Alaska - great halibut and salmon fishing,
but almost my last trip. Did you hear about the airplane hitting an
eagle while taking off from Sitka Sunday? I was sitting just over and in
front of the engine that sucked it in just before we achieved air speed
- we stopped about 100 yards short of the end of the runway and bay. Did
I mention I HATE FLYING????

Ronnie

=======

I'm sure glad that extra 100 yards was there! It's been years since I
fished in Alaska, but would love to make another trip some day. I'm not
fond of flying either, unless I am at the controls!

John

Old August 11th, 2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
geoff

I'm betting that wasn't a jet blue flight :}

"Ronnie" wrote in message
On Aug 10, 4:25 pm, danl wrote:
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:29:49 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie

wrote:
July night tournament