Texas Alligator Gar As Game Fish - Petition

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:36 PM
DXGame

Default Texas Alligator Gar As Game Fish - Petition

The past few years I have spoken to quite a few anglers, bow
fisherman, who are concerned about the state of the Texas Alligator
Gar.

Folks, Texas is home to the 2nd largest freshwater fish in the USA,
2nd only to the Sturgeon. Other states like Alabama and Arkansas
understand the importance of these prehistoric fish and have daily bag
limits.

The Sturgeon which is the largest freshwater fish is pretty much on a
catch and release only status.

I've organized a petition to have the Alligator Gar in Texas, upgraded
to game fish status. Those that fish for these fish already realize
the thrilling angling experience these fish provide.

Most anglers first time experience with these fish is total disbelief
that in the same water as our Bass, Crappie, Catfish, can be these
huge downright scary looking fish! Well, they don't attack humans, and
their main diet is shad. And their secondary diet is fish such as
smaller carp and buffalo. I won't lie and say they never eat a bass or
other game fish, but keep in mind Catfish eat bass, crappie as well.

Let's don't confuse the Alligator Gar with the heavily populated
Longnose Gar that is in most of our local lakes, rivers in Texas.
Those fish rarely grow over 50lbs or so and they have a very long
mouth. Chances are if you fish for sand bass or stripers you've
probably had a run in with a Longnose Gar.

Anglers from ALL over the world come to Texas to tangle with these
fish every year. Isn't it about time we recognize this truly
prehistoric fish and attempt to preserve the gene pool so we can
continue to enjoy angling for these trophy fish into the future?

If you have some spare time, type in "Texas Alligator Gar" in Google
or Yahoo and enjoy some good reading. And the next time you catch a
bass around 5-8lbs, or a catfish around 20-40lbs, keep in mind there
is a much bigger fish waiting to give you the angling experience of
your life, right here in Texas!

Check out the petition, give it some thought. Thanks!

http://www.petitiononline.com/texasgar/petition.html