r.o.f.f.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw56

Default r.o.f.f.

On Sep 1, 9:59*am, "Wayne Harrison" wrote:

but, hell, thanks for the memories.

Thanks for the memory
Of things I can’t forget
Journeys on a jet
Our wond’rous week in martinique
And vegas and roulette
How lucky I was

And thanks for the memory
Of summers by the sea
Dawn in waikiki
We had a pad in london
But we didn’t stop for tea
How cozy it was

Now since our breakup I wake up
Alone on a gray morning-after
I long for the sound of your laughter
And then I see the laugh’s on me

But thanks for the memory
Of every touch a thrill
I’ve been through the mill
I’ve lived a lot and learned a lot
You loved me not and still
I miss you so much

Thanks for the memory
Of how we used to jog
Even in a fog
That barbecue in malibu
Away from all the smog
How rainy it was

Thanks for the memory
Of letters I destroyed
Books that we enjoyed
Tonight the way things look
I need a book by sigmund freud
How brainy he was

Gone are those evenings on broadway
Together we’d go to a great show
But now I begin with the late show
And wish that you
Were watching, too

I know it’s a fallacy
That grown men never cry
Baby, that’s a lie
We had our bed of roses
But forgot that roses die
And thank you so much

Writer(s): leo robin/ralph rainger

This was Frank Sinatra's lyric.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message ...

rw56 wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Russell D. wrote:
R.I.P.

Usenet has been critically ill for quite awhile now. We should
regard its passing as a blessing and remember it fondly.

There's a roff on Facebook and if Google+ ever reaches critical
mass there will be a roff there as well.

roff is dead, long live roff.

Poor Wolfgang. He'll have to find somewhere else to be an asshat.

Wolfgang wasn't the problem. Wolfgang is a five-foot-nothing nothing
who is considered a friendly, fellow fly fisherman by those who have
met him, including myself. Giles is the problem, Wolfgang's pseudo-
anonymous alter ego with the throw away address and the poisonous
Usenet persona.

True, In the end, his hubris was/is the downfall.

JT
Old September 2nd, 2011, 04:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

rw56 wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Russell D. wrote:
R.I.P.

Usenet has been critically ill for quite awhile now. We should
regard its passing as a blessing and remember it fondly.

There's a roff on Facebook and if Google+ ever reaches critical
mass there will be a roff there as well.

roff is dead, long live roff.

Poor Wolfgang. He'll have to find somewhere else to be an asshat.

Wolfgang wasn't the problem. Wolfgang is a five-foot-nothing nothing
who is considered a friendly, fellow fly fisherman by those who have
met him, including myself. Giles is the problem, Wolfgang's pseudo-
anonymous alter ego with the throw away address and the poisonous
Usenet persona.

True, In the end, his hubris was/is the downfall.

JT

Nah! It's all George W. Bush's fault.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

hmmmm, why, I have to ask, IS ROFF declared dead by you all, when
clearly all can still post, etc? Does having a Facebook site render
the Usenet thing passe? I mean, I steadfastly refuse to have anything
to do with Facebook, for what I consider sound reasons, and for all
anyone knows that will simply go the way of so many others(remember
MySpace?).

puzzled, in Reading, PA
Tom
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

On 8/31/2011 6:39 PM, john b wrote:

To me, the term 'social network' implies schedules, uniforms, rules of
conduct, a caste system...the haves and have nots....scary.

You care if I just hang out here around the fire and drink a few more beers?

John B ....

only if you share.....perhaps, we can start a movement or something!

Tom
Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-09-02 16:50:04 -0400, Tom Littleton said:

hmmmm, why, I have to ask, IS ROFF declared dead by you all, when
clearly all can still post, etc? Does having a Facebook site render
the Usenet thing passe? I mean, I steadfastly refuse to have anything
to do with Facebook, for what I consider sound reasons, and for all
anyone knows that will simply go the way of so many others(remember
MySpace?).

puzzled, in Reading, PA
Tom

Roff isn't dead, Tom. I'm on FB, but roff is far better. FB is great
for pix, but I don't see it as a replacement for roff. Roff IS
Darwinian - it is *still* evolving.

Dave
Soon to be puzzled in GA.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Littleton wrote:
hmmmm, why, I have to ask, IS ROFF declared dead by you all, when
clearly all can still post, etc?

I can't speak for "you all" but for me Usenet roff is dead
when folks quit posting to it. And clearly folks have quit
posting to it.

Does having a Facebook site render
the Usenet thing passe? I mean, I steadfastly refuse to have anything
to do with Facebook, for what I consider sound reasons, and for all
anyone knows that will simply go the way of so many others(remember
MySpace?).

Well, Facebook roff has more traffic than Usenet roff and
as far as Facebook going away you sound like a horse and
buggy guy dismissing the Model T.

puzzled, in Reading, PA
Tom

Honk Honk !! Comin' through, get that old nag off the road ! ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

ok...so for those of us just digging out from irene's ****kicking,
what's happened to usenet and roff?

jeff

Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw56

On Aug 31, 4:18*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

One of the reasons I don't bemoan the demise of Usenet is because
Usenet was accepting of anonymity.

I agree that anonymity is a problem, but it's not the cause of the
decline of ROFF.

Take of look at The Drake forums (http://www.drakemag.com/). They're
absolutely tolerant of anonymity, but they're also active and vibrant,
full of interesting trip reports of some outstanding photography.
That's where Willi and Bruiser went when they left ROFF, and I know
that they've met many great people there.

One reason The Drake works is that it's a far more sophisticated
medium than Usenet. In addition to text, you can post photos and
videos. In that respect, it's like Facebook, but with anonymity and
being specialized for fly fishing.

That said, I don't like The Drake forums for the same reason I
sometimes disliked ROFF: the bad behavior that anonymity leads to. The
newbie bashing, for example, is brutal -- worse than anything I've
ever seen on ROFF.