Should Stren Super Braid work with Daiwa Goldcast spincaster?

Old November 18th, 2003, 12:17 AM
QUAKEnSHAKE

Default Should Stren Super Braid work with Daiwa Goldcast spincaster?

Well my old Zebco 33 stripped a gear tooth so I went and got what I
though would be a good replacement daiwa goldcast 80 a spincaster. After
trying to use it this past week-end Im not so sure I made the right
purchase. I think I should have saved some money and bought another 33.
Here is why.

First, To go with this new reel I bought some 8/2 Stren Super Braid. I
use PowerPro on my baitcaster (works great) had heard of the stren stuff
so figured Id try Strens braid. This combo didnt work good at all. Tried
all day Saturday to get it to keep line fron "sticking" while casting
but no luck Unspooled it tried reeling it in again and again and again
with no tension to heavy tension. Reel just seems to not like braid.
Plus the line left a green residue on the rotor assembly I had to clean
off.

Second, the next day I took the braid off and reeled on Trilene XL 8lb.
Its off the same spool as whats on my 33 and a spinning reel that I
have. It did better than the braid but the reel didnt impress me at all
as to the distance it would cast.
I can still cast the 33 so I put on the same size splitshot on each
reels' line and low and behold the damn 10 year old 33 casts just as far
as the $50 Goldcast! So Im now thinking WTH is up with this.

My questions:

1. Is braid ok to use on spincasters? any of you use such set-up?

2. Goldcast owners, if any, tell me how you like the reel & your set-up?

3. Should I just take the reel back get another 33 save $35?

4. Zebco Omega anybody have comment on this reel?

I guess Ill try the braid out on the old 33 just to find out what
happens.

Thanks, Ray

Old November 18th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Gone Angling

I found that fireline won't work on a spincast. I think it has something to do
with it's profile. I would be interested to know if powerpro will work on a
spincast. Powerpro has a round profile. I have a daiwa silvercast.

Old November 18th, 2003, 04:14 AM
RR

Tried superline on a spincast once with similar results that you had. If you
are wanting a decent quality spincast for the money, try the AbuMatic
series. Bought one for my old man and he seems to like it well. I had an
underspin Diawa spincast for about half a season. Broke me from Diawa
spincast. Only use a spincast now for a 'dock rod'.

Old November 18th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Grokwatersharing

The new Zebco Omega is hands down the absolute best of the current
spincast offerings. Read the review at www.tackletour.com .......the
reel is every bit as good, maybe even better than the review touts.
Spool it with Berkley Trilene "Sensation" and prepare to be impressed!
First day out with this reel I nailed & boated a 34" 12# Northern
using 6# test "Sensation". The drag on the Omega performed flawlessly
and playing that Northern was as much fun as ya can have with your
clothes on CARPE DIEM !

Old November 18th, 2003, 02:26 PM
alwaysfishking

I have used braided line on spinning reels with little to no problem. I
usually spool up about twice as much mono for backing as compared to a
baitcaster. Maybe that has something to do with it. Two reels, stradic 4000
and a south bend phase two reel, neither gave me a problem using the braid.
I have used both fireline and powerpro, I have not tried the stren pon the
spinning reel yet.

Randy-

Old November 18th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Bob La Londe

"QUAKEnSHAKE" wrote in message

Well my old Zebco 33 stripped a gear tooth so I went and got what I
though would be a good replacement daiwa goldcast 80 a spincaster. After
trying to use it this past week-end Im not so sure I made the right
purchase. I think I should have saved some money and bought another 33.
Here is why.

Saved your money to buy a Zebco 33? You lost me right there. I own several
Zebco 33s, and I think they are great reels. For their price they are
fantastic reels. They are certainly not expensive. In fact if you bought a
reel that was cheaper I can understand why you might have problems.

I have 33s rigged up with 17lb Super Mono XX that just go all day long.
They don't cast as far as a spinning reel with the same line, but they have
every bit of precision that you get with a baitcaster.

If you use and like 33s I can't imagine why you bought anything else.

I personally prefer spinning tackle, and I have learned to live most of its
draw backs, but for ease of use nothing beats a Zebco 33 Classic.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old November 18th, 2003, 04:58 PM
QUAKEnSHAKE

Thanks for the input guys.

-quote-(Bob=A0La=A0Londe)
Saved your money to buy a Zebco 33? You lost me right there. In fact if
you bought a reel that was cheaper I can understand why you might have
problems.
-quote-

Clarification-
The Daiwa Goldcast cost me $50 a 33 would have cost only like $15 so I
would have saved $35 :-) .

I called for the Omega they are out at the store I go to. They do have
some ABUmatics so ill check them out but most likely will get a new 33.

This Super Braid does have a round profile

I did string up my old 33 with that Super Braid. Have to pull on the
handle to get it to reel but it reeled none-the-less. Went out to the
front yard Guess what YEP the old 33 casts the stuff just fine no
problems at all.

The Goldcast is going back.

Old November 19th, 2003, 02:06 AM
RR

Spinning or Spincast? braided lines on spinning reels are great, but no luck
with it on a spincast.....

Old November 19th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Huck Palmatier

....I've found "used" braid....from another reel after the coating has worn
off ......works OK on Mom's Zebco 33....it's got Spiderwire 6/30 on it right
now....I guess the new stuff may gunk up the pick up pin until it gets
broken in. said Huck