text abuse

Old January 25th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default text abuse

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/011..._suit_ctv.html

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

Old January 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
et...
http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/011..._suit_ctv.html

--
Bill Kiene

Interesting case, Bill. What's your position on this?

Wolfgang

Old January 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang typed:
"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
et...
http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/011..._suit_ctv.html

--
Bill Kiene

Interesting case, Bill. What's your position on this?

I'll bet he doesn't reply "FY, Wolfgang." Not with $25,000 at stake.
--
TL,
Tim

Old January 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wolfgang" wrote in

Interesting case, Bill. What's your position on this?

I've, of course, no clue about Bill's view .... but mine

is that anyone that would say things on the Internet he wouldn't have the
balls to say face to face deserves punishment. Now I mean that more in a
social sense than a legal one, as free speach is something we need to
defend.

But, the various forms of Internet cummunication are taking an increasingly
important role in all our human to human encounters and I think it will
become necessary to provide limits on what can be said without the offended
person having legal means to stop it and/or be compensated for it. If
someone wrote material that was untrue, and harmful to me in my local
newspaper .... I'd sue and expect to win .... what's the difference, if the
media changes?

Now, clearly the Net has a "tradition" of tolerating true assholes and
deviates but I believe that as the media matures so will the behavior
required to use it, free from financial retaliation. At least I hope so,
since much of what now happens is at the lowest level of human interaction
and the media has much potential to improve man's interaction with man, not
lower it to Jr High posturing gone mad behind a "screen name."

Old January 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
et...

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/011..._suit_ctv.html

Interesting case, Bill. What's your position on this?

Beautiful cast, Wolfgang. I swear I didn't see the slightest hint
of a ripple when the fly landed. Now let's follow the drift ...

Chuck Vance (who loves watching a real angler at work)
Old January 25th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Larry L" wrote in message

"Wolfgang" wrote in

Interesting case, Bill. What's your position on this?

I've, of course, no clue about Bill's view .... but mine

is that anyone that would say things on the Internet he wouldn't have the
balls to say face to face deserves punishment. Now I mean that more in a
social sense than a legal one, as free speach is something we need to
defend.

So, what you're saying is that free speech can only be defended by beating
someone up.....or being beaten up.....in a face to face confrontation? But
then, it isn't really punishment, is it? I guess I probably wouldn't tell
you to your face that the logic you display above is twisted. Personally, I
think that isn't necessarily a matter of balls. At any rate, it looks as if
you'll have to sue me.

But, the various forms of Internet cummunication are taking an
increasingly important role in all our human to human encounters and I
think it will become necessary to provide limits on what can be said
without the offended person having legal means to stop it and/or be
compensated for it.

No legal expert myself, but I believe there are already such limitations in
place. The trouble is that the courts in this country are still run (by and
large) by adults......adults who DO know the law.

If someone wrote material that was untrue, and harmful to me in my local
newspaper .... I'd sue and expect to win ....

Well, you might indeed expect to win but I'd bet a shiny new nickel that
"untrue and harmful" are not in and of themselves sufficient to guarantee
it.

what's the difference, if the media changes?

There is none that I'm aware of (bearing in mind, once again, that I'm no
expert). I believe that the plaintiff would be subject to the same burdens
of proof (whatever they might be) and other legal constraints as in any
other case.

Now, clearly the Net has a "tradition" of tolerating true assholes and
deviates but I believe that as the media matures so will the behavior
required to use it, free from financial retaliation.

I certainly hope not. As highly vaunted as free speech is, I think it's
time we give it a try. We are now, for the first time in the history of the
species, in a position experiment with something very much like it. It
would be a shame to let such an opportunity pass untried.

At least I hope so, since much of what now happens is at the lowest level
of human interaction and the media has much potential to improve man's
interaction with man, not lower it to Jr High posturing gone mad behind a
"screen name."

Interaction is still like the tango......no one can do it alone. As for the
medium, its potential lies precisely in its freedom from interference.
Consider the development of the internet.......the most complex construct in
human history.....and it was done with exactly NOBODY in charge. That's a
lot more important than you think.

Wolfgang

Old January 25th, 2006, 07:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Wolfgang wrote:

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
et...

http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/011..._suit_ctv.html

Interesting case, Bill. What's your position on this?

Beautiful cast, Wolfgang. I swear I didn't see the slightest hint of a
ripple when the fly landed. Now let's follow the drift ...

Chuck Vance (who loves watching a real angler at work)

A pretty metaphor, but misplaced. This is yet another of Bill's periodic
trolls......I just took the bait.

Wolfgang

Old January 25th, 2006, 07:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message

Beautiful cast, Wolfgang. I swear I didn't see the slightest hint of a
ripple when the fly landed. Now let's follow the drift ...

Chuck Vance (who loves watching a real angler at work)

A pretty metaphor, but misplaced. This is yet another of Bill's periodic
trolls......I just took the bait.

Well, OK, but you took it and flung it back in the boat. :-)

Chuck Vance (and the troller became the trollee)
Old January 25th, 2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wolfgang" wrote

So, what you're saying is that free speech can only be defended by beating
someone up.....or being beaten up.....in a face to face confrontation?
But then, it isn't really punishment, is it? I guess I probably wouldn't
tell you to your face that the logic you display above is twisted.
Personally, I think that isn't necessarily a matter of balls. At any
rate, it looks as if you'll have to sue me.

When I reread my post I felt it came close enough to saying what I feel,
with the possible exception of two words .."social" and "punishment"
Maybe replacing the first with " Karma" and ... I'm floundering trying to
replace the second ... "just deserves" maybe.

I believe that those few that need to be abusive on the Internet ( reliably,
continually abusive, not just the rare bad day ) would very likely find
their own lives improving if they stopped. And not just their Internet
lives, since our various parts don't exist independent of each other.
People that have that much hate bottled up get/got it from somewhere and
really need to address the real source not just lash out where they feel
it's safe, imho.

Oh, and, I make no claims to real legal knowledge....

Slightly new topic:

I just got back from my daily bike ride. The country roads around here
limit me to two possible hour long loops on roads remotely safe for a bike,
and both go past dozens of properties with dogs. Each loop goes past only
ONE property with dogs that are consistently, reliably, a pain in the ass
chasing me.

I've checked and double checked with various law enforcement departments,
and this county has a law that says I can kill one of those dogs, if it's on
the road attacking me ( although when I asked the sheriff I was told that a
pistol was a bad idea because it was still illegal to shoot from or on the
road, so I'd have to bludgeon them to death, I guess.) Or, I can
personally issue a citizens arrest to the owner, for each occurrence ( one
dog is an occurrence, two chasing me is two, two dogs two days is 4 etc )
having a fine of $140. Or, I can call animal control with the address and
they will issue the citation, on my word, with the same fines.

Now, that seems like a very stringent set of laws to me, maybe too stringent
and severe. Certainly it would be sad if the one day in years that a dog
normally well controlled by it's owner gets loose and chases a bike, it was
therefore killed or it's actually responsible owner fined. Yet, I have no
sympathy for the consistent problems , and although right now pepper spray
is my weapon, I'm prepared to go further.

But, let's all think about the fact that the 99.9% of the people that have
the human decency and sense of social contract to control their animals and
NOT the ones that made the law necessary.

The few nearly always cause the LEGAL restrictions ( as opposed to social
contract/ moral restrictions) of personal behavior that we are all forced to
live under. In a similar vein, when legislation is passed controlling what
can be said here, it's NOT going to be because of those in the majority,
that have adult levels of self discipline while ONline.

The greatest defense of free speech may very well be to use it responsibly.

Old January 25th, 2006, 09:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Larry L" wrote in news:9JRBf.295551
:

Or, I can call animal control with the address and
they will issue the citation, on my word, with the same fines

And why in the world wouldn't you do this, instead of even considering
shooting the dogs (unless, of course, your safety is in question). Of
course, since you KNOW the dogs are trouble, continuing to ride by them
without attempting to rectify the situation is just asking for trouble.

the RIGHT thing to do first would be to contact the owner and politely let
them know that you're having some trouble with their dogs. If they're
polite, and can figure out a way to end your concern, great. If they're
less than polite, or just give you lip service but don't really do
anything, just tell them that you intend to follow up with animal control,
and then follow up.

When you last contacted animal control (which you surely must have done
already, since you're already considering killing a dog, and that wouldn't
be reasonable unless you've attempted less dramatic remedies), what did
they suggest you do?

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply