Crackleback vs. Griffith's Gnat (another newbie question)

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

Default Crackleback vs. Griffith's Gnat (another newbie question)

I'm beginning the process of tying my flies for next season, which
will be my 2nd season of fly fishing. One place I'm planning on
fishing for Rainbow & Brown trout next season has two flies on the
"recommended list" that look kind of similar to my newbie eyes:

Cracklebacks: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...80502fotw.html

Griffith's Gnats: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Are these different enough to make it worth my while to tie both? My
gut feeling is that this is probably a real stupid question, but hey,
how do you learn if you don't ask...

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wolfgang

"mdk77" wrote in message
I'm beginning the process of tying my flies for next season, which
will be my 2nd season of fly fishing. One place I'm planning on
fishing for Rainbow & Brown trout next season has two flies on the
"recommended list" that look kind of similar to my newbie eyes:

Cracklebacks:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...80502fotw.html

Griffith's Gnats: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Are these different enough to make it worth my while to tie both? My
gut feeling is that this is probably a real stupid question, but hey,
how do you learn if you don't ask...

Not a stupid question, but asked in the wrong place. Only the fish can give
you a definitive answer.

Wolfgang
who, forced to divulge a personal opinion, would probably opt for
both.......else how can the question be put to the test?

Old December 6th, 2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

mdk77 wrote:
I'm beginning the process of tying my flies for next season, which
will be my 2nd season of fly fishing. One place I'm planning on
fishing for Rainbow & Brown trout next season has two flies on the
"recommended list" that look kind of similar to my newbie eyes:

Cracklebacks: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...80502fotw.html

Griffith's Gnats: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Are these different enough to make it worth my while to tie both?

I'm guessing you must be planning to fish in Missouri somewhere
because that's the only place I know of where a Crackleback would
be on the recommended list. It is definitely a "regional fly".

My advice would be to buy the pattern sheet and the dyed turkey
rounds plus an actual Crackleback to copy directly from Feathercraft.

http://www.feather-craft.com/2007mas...ge.asp?page=94

A Crackleback resembles a Griffith's Gnat like a poodle resembles
a fox terrier, I mean they're both dogs, but ...

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Cracklebacks: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...0502fotw..html

Griffith's Gnats: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Are these different enough to make it worth my while to tie both? My
gut feeling is that this is probably a real stupid question, but hey,
how do you learn if you don't ask...

No idea, but if you want an easy way to dress the Griffith´s Gnat;

http://thomaszuellich.de/Fliegendose/griffiths_e.html

TL
MC
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

On Dec 6, 3:02 pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
mdk77 wrote:
[...]

Thanks Ken. That's good advice. It's pretty humbling to be a newbie
and have to ask so many questions like this. But I figure that if I
never ask, I'll never learn.

Old December 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

wrote:

mdk77 wrote:
[...]

p.s. Ken, you're correct in that I'm heading to fish the Taneycomo,
(Missouri) tailwaters, about a mile down from the dam.

Old December 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

More info;

http://www.danica.com/flytier/tzuell...fiths_gnat.htm
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
mdk77[_2_]

On Dec 6, 3:22 pm, Mike wrote:
On 6 Dec, 21:44, mdk77 wrote:

I'm beginning the process of tying my flies for next season, which
will be my 2nd season of fly fishing. One place I'm planning on
fishing for Rainbow & Brown trout next season has two flies on the
"recommended list" that look kind of similar to my newbie eyes:

Cracklebacks: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...80502fotw.html

Griffith's Gnats: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Are these different enough to make it worth my while to tie both? My
gut feeling is that this is probably a real stupid question, but hey,
how do you learn if you don't ask...

No idea, but if you want an easy way to dress the Griffith´s Gnat;

http://thomaszuellich.de/Fliegendose/griffiths_e.html

TL
MC

Thanks Mike. That's a neat site. I liked this link from that site (a
page of fly patterns):
http://www.danica.com/flytier/hweile...weilenmann.htm

Old December 6th, 2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
fly.flinger[_2_]

"mdk77" wrote in message
I'm beginning the process of tying my flies for next season, which
will be my 2nd season of fly fishing. One place I'm planning on
fishing for Rainbow & Brown trout next season has two flies on the
"recommended list" that look kind of similar to my newbie eyes:

Cracklebacks:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...80502fotw.html

Griffith's Gnats: http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-griffiths-gnat-pattern

Are these different enough to make it worth my while to tie both? My
gut feeling is that this is probably a real stupid question, but hey,
how do you learn if you don't ask...

the biggest difference, IMO, is size; the basic form being similar.

cracklebacks are larger
griffins gnats are typcially smaller