Asian carp again. Wow.

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Asian carp again. Wow.

These things are actually good eating, but man, LOOK at how many there
are in the Illinois river!! Specifically, wait for 2:46

http://www.youtube.com/v/2ChwJiKKBdA&hl=en&fs=1

--riverman
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Fred

On 8-Sep-2008, riverman wrote:

These things are actually good eating, but man, LOOK at how many there
are in the Illinois river!! Specifically, wait for 2:46

http://www.youtube.com/v/2ChwJiKKBdA&hl=en&fs=1

--riverman

The revenge of the fish!

Fred
Old September 9th, 2008, 04:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-09-08, riverman wrote:
These things are actually good eating.....

If this is true, they are doomed. The real problem is how to market them.
Carp are almost universally... in the US... considered trash fish. Rename
them and make them appealing to the consumer and so many ppl will gear up to
harvest them, they will become near extinct within a few years. I find it
amazing that with most fish, even cat and talapia, going for up to $6lb,
no one has figured out how to harvest and market this amazing resource.

nb
Old September 12th, 2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek[_2_]

On 2008-09-08, riverman wrote:
These things are actually good eating.....

If this is true, they are doomed. The real problem is how to market them.
Carp are almost universally... in the US... considered trash fish. Rename
them and make them appealing to the consumer and so many ppl will gear up
harvest them, they will become near extinct within a few years. I find it
amazing that with most fish, even cat and talapia, going for up to $6lb,
no one has figured out how to harvest and market this amazing resource.

nb

Carp really a trash fish? ain't the world an odd place here in europe a
great many ethnic groups believe them to be a delicacy so much so that
specimen carp waters ( yes I know we seem quaint ) in the UK have taken to
checking the tackle bags of eastern european anglers before they leave the
waters to prevent stocks ending up in the pan. I wonder is the asian strain
is different from a culinary point of view?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ains-carp.html
http://www.kosher.com/store/kosher-f...-4-steaks.html
Derek

Old September 13th, 2008, 12:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

On 2008-09-12, Derek wrote:

Carp really a trash fish? ain't the world an odd place here in europe a
great many ethnic groups believe them to be a delicacy so much so that
specimen carp waters ( yes I know we seem quaint ) in the UK have taken to
checking the tackle bags of eastern european anglers before they leave the
waters to prevent stocks ending up in the pan. I wonder is the asian strain
is different from a culinary point of view?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ains-carp.html
http://www.kosher.com/store/kosher-f...-4-steaks.html
Derek

as soon as it gets bad enough that poor people have no alternative, those
flying fish will be flying into the nearest skillet and/or processing plant
and we will discover just how tasty they can be fixed.

nb
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Sep 12, 4:13*pm, notbob wrote:

At the slightest mention of carp I recommend this little novel by the
Czech, Ota Pavel, "How I met the Fish" in English translation. Its was
first recommended to me by a friend as the best book written from a
non-religious Jewish perspective on fishing, and carp raising. Pavel
died in 1973, after struggling with mental illness and the communist
regime, but this book was in my opinion his master work. His other
sports writing is supposed to be very good but not much available in
English, and my Czech is limited to what it takes to order a beer.

Dave
Zva pivu prosim.
Dobre den
Old September 13th, 2008, 02:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

as soon as it gets bad enough that poor people have no alternative, those
flying fish will be flying into the nearest skillet and/or processing plant
and we will discover just how tasty they can be fixed. *

One of the coolest eateries in Omaha ... (a town that has more
restraunts per person than any other city in the US).
http://www.joetessplace.com/
Frank Reid

Old September 13th, 2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
notbob

Old September 14th, 2008, 03:24 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

On 2008-09-08, riverman wrote:
These things are actually good eating.....

If this is true, they are doomed. The real problem is how to market them.
Carp are almost universally... in the US... considered trash fish.

Fortunately, some consumers are neither put off by reputation nor
allured by clever marketing.

http://tinyurl.com/5g2s2c

- JR