What the hell has happened to this place?

Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Chad

Default What the hell has happened to this place?

So I have been a little busy. Life, well... it's a kick in the ass at
times. As for fishing and tying, not like I use to. But I still get
out from time to time. I have not been here on ROFF in years. I return
and what the hell? Where did everybody go? I faded away due to just
not being able to keep up. Now, no fear of that. Did you all move to a
forum or something?
I use to post under the name Goat. Nothing lasts forever but I am a
little shocked. ROFF was a flurry of activity at one time.
Really guys, did everybody jump to a forum or is this ember just
hardly glowing?

Chad

Old December 2nd, 2011, 04:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Chad wrote:
snip
Really guys, did everybody jump to a forum or is this ember just
hardly glowing?

Both. There is a ROFF group on Facebook which has slightly more
traffic than Usenet roff. It's better for pictures and videos but
not as good for "conversation". And there are a few folks who have
a distrust of Facebook who keep the faint pulse of Usenet roff
beating.

roff is dead, long live roff

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Church[_13_]

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:jbasdq$esa$1
@dont-email.me:

Chad wrote:
snip
Really guys, did everybody jump to a forum or is this ember just
hardly glowing?

Both. There is a ROFF group on Facebook which has slightly more
traffic than Usenet roff. It's better for pictures and videos but
not as good for "conversation". And there are a few folks who have
a distrust of Facebook who keep the faint pulse of Usenet roff
beating.

roff is dead, long live roff

Oh yeah? Yer mother wears GI shorts and combat boots, so there.

Frank Sr. (just wanted to let you know I'm still kickin' Kenny)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Church wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
roff is dead, long live roff

Oh yeah? Yer mother wears GI shorts and combat boots, so there.

Frank Sr. (just wanted to let you know I'm still kickin' Kenny)

Well, one thing I know about roff's own masseuse magnet, if you're
still breathin', you're still kickin'. Are you still living in
Indiana ?

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Church[_13_]

Ken Fortenberry wrote in news:jbbkk3$io5$1
@dont-email.me:

Frank Church wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
roff is dead, long live roff

Oh yeah? Yer mother wears GI shorts and combat boots, so there.

Frank Sr. (just wanted to let you know I'm still kickin' Kenny)

Well, one thing I know about roff's own masseuse magnet, if you're
still breathin', you're still kickin'. Are you still living in
Indiana ?

Yep, still in Fremont. Love this small town living, screw big citys.
You'll be pleased to know that I have acquired 2 new Chinese POS Bamboo
Rods, thereby spreading the wealth from Korean made POS'S to China, who
God knows needs more of our business. /s/ Actually, very well made rods
in my humble estimation, fit and finish as good as I've seen on any rod.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

Chad typed:
did everybody jump to a forum or is this ember just
hardly glowing?

There are just no more fish, plain and simple. We've all taken up knitting
and kite flying, so check those groups.

Geez, I hope yarn and kite string don't go the way of the fishes. . .
--
TL,
Tim

Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

Heck, I never have been able to find the facebook page...

I guess that makes me a geezer?

john

Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
john b

hey goat!

We never did get to together to fish the stillwater! What say you swing by
my house tomorrow for some coffee and we will go fishing?

john

(formally asadi)

Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Chad

"Chad" *wrote in message

So I have been a little busy. Life, well... it's a kick in the ass at
times. As for fishing and tying, not like I use to. But I still get
out from time to time. I have not been here on ROFF in years. I return
and what the hell? Where did everybody go? I faded away due to just
not being able to keep up. Now, no fear of that. Did you all move to a
forum or something?
I use to post under the name Goat. Nothing lasts forever but I am a
little shocked. ROFF was a flurry of activity at one time.
Really guys, did everybody jump to a forum or is this ember just
hardly glowing?

Chad

Well hot damn. How do John?
I will say that when seeking out ROFF once agian that I was just a
little disheartened to see the decline. The internet is everwhere. In
everbody's pocket. So easy. I figured this place would be a mad house.
(notice I didn't say "nut house" I belive it is still probably a nut
house) But I am seeing that several of the good folks are still
around. This is fine news. Maybe I had the wrong idea altogether.
Maybe there is just less bull**** to wade through?
Wetting a line on the Stillwater needs to get done. This weekend sadly
is a little booked for me. I have had some electrical issues come up
with the house and will be spending my weekend off playing
electrician. I have already thrown a spark or two but have yet, and I
say yet, to shock myself. Kind of funny actually.
"POP!"
Insert wife
"are you ok?"
me
"I am fine"
wife
"be careful, don't kill yourself"
me
"its just 110.. and beside... I am immortal... no worries"
wife
"not funny"
And so it goes....
So John, I would really like to get together and fish a little. My
schedule is pretty much a disaster. I am however off every other
weekend but I work 3rd shift now so my sleep pattern is, well, a mess
to understate it. And my boys are all in the teens now and very active
and keep me busy. After losing my job as a park ranger life has gotten
foggy at best. Feels like that movie Groundhogs Day somethimes. But
lets get this done. Sooner than later. Have you been on the mad
lately? I haven't fished it in a couple of years. I still say that the
upper section is just ugly but it is where I always ended up. Trout
waters are hard to come by here as you know. I was raised on the
Stillwater River and it is by far my favorite local waters. So if its
Bass or Rockies I'm after thats where I end up. I still have never
made it over to the Brookville tailwaters. I have no good excuse for
this. Just busy I guess. I had my own photography business for a while
and that kept me pretty busy but when the economy tanked I had to give
it up. I still do some side jobs here and there (I have a lady waiting
on her pictures as I type this and should probably be working on that,
but...)
So you still retired? Last I heard you bought a bike and a travel rod
was to be mounted. Sounds good to me. Sounds damn good. All my rods
are 2 piece and I have yet to figure a good way to strap that to my
bike. I will need to get a 4 piece rod one of these days. I have joked
about mounting it straight up off the back and putiing an orange flag
on the rod case like one of those bicycle flags. But I just can't do
that. However funny, it just seems wrong.
By the way, do you know if the Rusty Drake still around?
I am absolutely game for getting together a doing a little fishing.
The weather is quickly going to crap and the holidays are hectic but I
am game. Last time I fished the Mad it was January, Snowing like
crazy, I spent more time deicing my rod than fishing and I didn't
catch a damn thing. It was still a great day.
-Chad