Buzz Baits for Big Bass ... Harumph!

Old May 23rd, 2006, 06:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Default Buzz Baits for Big Bass ... Harumph!

Matt Yates and I decided to do a little fun fishing for a couple hours this
evening. We took the Wacko out to a spot I had showed him the other day and
pushed the boat off the trailer. Literally. The water wasn't deep enough
to get all the bunk boards wet.

We tried one area of rip rap and I caught a little bass on a Natural Shad
Senko right after I said something like, "If I was cocky I'ld try to make
you a bet about catching the first fish."

We got a couple really tentative bumps in that area, and ten we decided to
try and find some natrual cover.

I got 5 or 6 strikes on a white buzz bait, and put a couple in the boat.
The biggest was about 2 pounds. As the light level dropped the buzz bait
bite died. All those buzz bait strikes were in about a foot of water.

Matt tossed a Baby Bass Senko over to an area where an over hang of brush
met a lay down of tulies and nailed a good solid 4.5 pounder. Woo hoo. I
tossed to the other end of the overhand where it met some other tulies that
were leaning over into the water and nailed one close to 5.5 on a green
pumpkin with chartreuse tail Tiki stick.

I picked up two more bass on the Tiki Stick in another littel overhang area
and then we decided to head in.

The water dropped about 5 inches while we were fishing so I had to get out
and drag the boat over a few really shallow spots to get back to where we
launched. The bunk boards on the trailer were 3 inches out of the water
when we back the trailer in to the deepest spot. Oops.

Nah, I just lined up the Whacko and pushed it half way up on the trailer,
then we cranked it on the rest of the way.

I forgot my camera guys. I actually took it out of the big boat and then I
left it sitting on the deck. Oh, well. Next time.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Bob, you said: "I got 5 or 6 strikes on a white buzz bait, and put a couple
in the boat.
The biggest was about 2 pounds. As the light level dropped the buzz bait
bite died."

Next time out, go to a black buzzbait. As long as a fish is underwater,
everything it sees above it is contrasted against the sky, which means a
lighter colored lure is basically invisible silhoutted against a lighter
colored sky. Slow moving black buzzbaits are deadly at night!

--
Bob Rickard

Founder and Director
www.secretweaponlures.com
Better Designs = Better Performance = Better Results
First real spinnerbait change since the fifties!
---------------------- ~ 0')))

.. .

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"Bob Rickard" wrote in message
. com...
Bob, you said: "I got 5 or 6 strikes on a white buzz bait, and put a

couple
in the boat.
The biggest was about 2 pounds. As the light level dropped the buzz bait
bite died."

Next time out, go to a black buzzbait. As long as a fish is underwater,
everything it sees above it is contrasted against the sky, which means a
lighter colored lure is basically invisible silhoutted against a lighter
colored sky. Slow moving black buzzbaits are deadly at night!

I switched to a black buzzbait as the light level started to drop. I was
throwing a black with gold blade, and my partner was throwing a black and
purple with black and purple blade. Neither of us scored a single hit on
those baits, and we threw them for a long time before swithing back to the
stick baits.

Your advice was exactly what we figured too, but the buzz bait just died as
the light level dropped. I know how to work a buzz bait really slow too. I
know in low light you need a slow steady retrieve so the bass can zero in on
the bait. That is why so many people throw a jitterbug as the light level
starts getting towards twilight levels.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

A couple other cool things from our evening outing I forgot to mention.

First one was when we were checking things out deciding if we could launch
or not I walked over to a little side area to look at all the trash left
behind by others and found a twenty dollar bill laying on the ground. That
covered our fuel costs for the day.

After we had caught our two big fish we got to see a big male bobcat up
close and personal. He was picking his way along a bank where we were
fishing. We got to see him from less than two boat lengths away. He didn't
seem the least bit bothered by us.

Old May 23rd, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

You mentioned that the water level was dropping too Bob, perhaps that's why
your shallow buzzbait bite stopped?

From my experience when a waterway is dropping the fish seek out sharp drops
& exit shallow water.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com
http://www.tri-statebassmasters.com

Old May 23rd, 2006, 09:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

"WARREN WOLK" wrote in message
You mentioned that the water level was dropping too Bob, perhaps that's

why
your shallow buzzbait bite stopped?

From my experience when a waterway is dropping the fish seek out sharp

drops
& exit shallow water.

That is a good observation and is probably correct. The too big fish we
caught after the buzz bait bite died were in or near 4-5 foot water. The
buzz bait fish were all in about 1 foot to maybe 18".

Old May 24th, 2006, 05:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass

Some very nice fish Bob. But "harumph" to buzzbaits? A week and one-half
ago, my partner caught a 3.9 on a buzzbait and five minutes later I got a
4.7, also on a buzzbait, very good fish by our modest standards in western
NY. But we were on a natural lake without the changes in water levels that
you experienced.

Buzzbaits definitely catch big bass, as do soft plastics, crankbaits,
spinnerbaits, jigs, and other topwaters, as long as they're presented where
those big bass are. Buzzbaits also catch dinks, as do all other lures. In my
experience, and, remember, I'm a rank amateur, but I haven't seen any
particular lure that stands out as a big-bass lure.