Small duck wings

Old October 25th, 2008, 11:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Small duck wings

The tying newsgroup seems to be even deader than this one, so I'll ask here

anyone know of commercial source of teal wings for tying ? I've become
a great fan of Lawson style no-hackles and would like to try smaller
feathers than mallard wings

I could get some off hunters I know but I'm leary of vermin on such things
if I'm to store them with my other stuff

TIA

Old October 26th, 2008, 02:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
daytripper

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:55:39 GMT, "Larry L"
wrote:
The tying newsgroup seems to be even deader than this one, so I'll ask here

anyone know of commercial source of teal wings for tying ? I've become
a great fan of Lawson style no-hackles and would like to try smaller
feathers than mallard wings

I could get some off hunters I know but I'm leary of vermin on such things
if I'm to store them with my other stuff

TIA

Well, heck, if you have a deep freezer (ie: it'll keep things at 0°) handy,
you shouldn't be worried about critters invading your tying stash. Whenever I
add any natural plumage - whether bought or gifted - to my collection, I just
put it in a baggy and stick it in the freezer for a month. In over
thirty-something years I've never had anything get munched.

As for buying complete teal wings: I've never seen them for sale anywhere
locally, but Googling "complete teal wings" did turn up a hit Stateside...

http://www.zuckerfeather.com

/daytripper
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
[...]

Wild ducks (and the parts thereof), like all migratory birds, are a
State _AND_ Federal thing, so there's gonna be more regs than, say, a
farmed cock/hen.

IAC, as to "wild, gifted materials," like 'tripper says, freeze 'em (or
microwave 'em lightly first and then freeze 'em, to be sure) and you
should have no problems.

Larry - if the link from 'tripper doesn't fill the bill (pardon the
ducking around...), email me.

TC,
Old October 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"daytripper" wrote

Well, heck, if you have a deep freezer (ie: it'll keep things at 0°)

That's a good idea ... only chemical things occurred to me

Old October 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

In article ,
Larry L wrote:

The tying newsgroup seems to be even deader than this one, so I'll ask here

anyone know of commercial source of teal wings for tying ? I've become
a great fan of Lawson style no-hackles and would like to try smaller
feathers than mallard wings

Teal feathers are very, very common in the British Isles. Here is one
supplier.

http://tinyurl.com/57ke4r

The wings cost two pounds, which is less than four dollars. I don't
imagine postage to the US would be much.

Lazarus
Old October 27th, 2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek[_2_]

"Larry L" wrote in message

"daytripper" wrote

Well, heck, if you have a deep freezer (ie: it'll keep things at 0°)

That's a good idea ... only chemical things occurred to me

I use the traditional method scatter salt on dry them thoroughly in a brown
manilla envelope then crush moth balls (napthalene) and put the powder in
never had problems with vermin.
Derek

Old October 28th, 2008, 02:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Oct 28, 7:57*am, "Derek"
wrote:
"Larry L" wrote in message

"daytripper" wrote

Well, heck, if you have a deep freezer (ie: it'll keep things at 0°)

That's a good idea ... only chemical things occurred to me

I use the traditional method scatter salt on *dry them thoroughly in a brown
manilla envelope then crush moth balls (napthalene) *and put the powder in
never had problems with vermin.
Derek

Yeah, but is there any residual smell to scare off the fish?

--riverman
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default ON TOPIC: Small duck wings

On Oct 28, 7:34*am, riverman wrote:

The only studies I have ever seen were for Atlantic salmon and the
point seemed to be to try and explain why women fishers were more
successful than English men in catching the big ones. There must be
some for the trouts.

Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Lazarus Cooke

Don't know if I posted this

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/3...gs_(Pair).html

Lazarus