Electric motors and battery combinations...>>>

Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:29 AM
Steve Erwin

Default Electric motors and battery combinations...>>>

That is the only way I have ever seen anyone run a 36V.

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Marty S." wrote in message
I'm looking for information about electric motors and the most efficient
battery combinations in terms of weight of adding a battery vs. the

power
that going to 24volt might give me. I live in an area that doesn't

allow
gas motors on its reservoirs; only electric motors, so I could only

power
my
12' jon boat with electric. I'd like to match up the most efficient
combination of motor size, battery, and weight. I would like to know if

get longer run time and/or more power with a 50lb 12volt motor or a

similar
sized 24volt motor? Or, would I get a better weight-power-endurance
combination getting a 36volt, 100+ lb motor??

Also, would I get more run time from 2 batteries (1 to run, and one as a
spare, i.e., "refuel") with a 12volt motor, or 2 batteries running
simultaneously on a 24volt motor?

questions, questions, questions...

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

One of the local guides I know uses a 36 volt system, Running full power
against the current all day he has battery to spare for another day if he
can't get it recharged. On top of that, guess what.. He only has three
batteries in his boat. Yup the battery for the big motor is wired in

series
with the other two for his 36 volts.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old December 22nd, 2003, 02:02 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Steve Erwin" wrote in message ...
That is the only way I have ever seen anyone run a 36V.

My Cobra Coosa 216 came with a 36 volt system. It has 3 deep cycle batteries and a starting
battery.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old December 31st, 2003, 06:38 PM
Capt. Frank Hopkins

Perhaps you could use a "Honda" EX1000 generator to recharge the
batteries on the fly. The unit is lightweight, whisper quiet and puts
out 7 amps ac and 8 amps dc. Add in a decent battery charger and it
would be like having an alternator. I keep larger (EX2000) unit on my
boat (26' Formula PC) just to maintain the house batteries when
anchored. The gene sips fuel with an eyedropper, and I can carry on a
normal conversation with the wife standing next to it.

Just a thought,

CF

Marty S. wrote:

I'm looking for information about electric motors and the most efficient
battery combinations in terms of weight of adding a battery vs. the power
that going to 24volt might give me. I live in an area that doesn't allow
gas motors on its reservoirs; only electric motors, so I could only power my
12' jon boat with electric. I'd like to match up the most efficient
combination of motor size, battery, and weight. I would like to know if I

Old January 3rd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Marty S.

I'd like to thank everyone who responded for their advice on the topic of
electric motors and battery life. (I can only use electric motors on the
reservoirs near me).

I will probably be buying a 65lb thrust 24volt motor this spring to go with
my 12' jon boat. Given what y'all said and that I'd probably have two
batteries in the boat with me anyway (either in series for a 12volt system
or in parallel for a 24volt system (I think that's right??)), I think that
this combination should be a reasonable balance of power, motor efficiency,
and battery life. Now I have to wait for my Bass Pro and Cabela's catalogs
to arrive!!!

Thanks again.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

link.net...

Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:40 PM
Calif Bill

Check the Cabelas Bargain Barn. They get refurbed Minn Kotas there. For a
12' boat, I would recommend a power drive. Seems safer than trying to use a
cable foot control in that small of boat.
Bill

Old January 3rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
lhile

You have it backwards, parallel for 12V and series for 24V. But you
certainly won't be sorry you went with the 24V.

Old January 3rd, 2004, 10:39 PM
Chris S

Might want to also check E-bay as Ive sold my Minn Kota there and also have
seen some good deals there as well

Chris S

Old January 4th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Marty S.

scribble, scribble I have to edit my notes... hopefully when I hook the
thing up I won't fry the circuits right away!!

Thanks!!!!!

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Old January 4th, 2004, 03:52 AM
Marty S.

I bought the boat and trailer on ebay. It came with a Honda 2hp 4 stroke
that I don't need, which I'm going to be selling when Spring gets closer.

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA