binding seat posts?

Old February 20th, 2004, 11:20 PM
bill allemann

Default binding seat posts?

I have the same thing with some plates/bushings from BPS. They got tight
half thru the first season.
No suggestions on fix since I haven't addressed it myself, as yet.
bill

"Rich Pierro" wrote in message
I have a Ranger boat and like most bass boats it has interchangeable
seating with posts that fit in holes in the floor. Anyway, mine seem to

be
binding up to the point where I need a monkey wrench to move them at all

and
it takes 2 people to get one out. I called the dealer and he said he

never
heard of this (usually the posts get loose and he sells a new sleeve to

fill
in the slack). I know I'm going to have to ream the holes a bit, I did it
one with the first post it started with. But now 2 more are doing the

same
thing, what might be the cause? I'd like to straighten this out once and
for all, any suggestions?
Also, what kind of lubricant would work well on the plastic lining of
the hole? I'm afraid to use anything that might soften up the plastic.

Rich P

Old February 20th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

Clean them out well (I had a friend that used a gun cleaning rod with a brush for a 12ga shot gun attatched to a varial speed
drill). Then I'd try PAM spray (the same as you use for cooking.). Doc

Old February 20th, 2004, 11:46 PM
RichZ

Ditto.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old February 21st, 2004, 12:16 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

[...]

WD-40 won't soften the plastic and is easy enough to just keep a small can
in your tool box. There's a product called Never-Seize that is awesome,
that stuff is slicker than deer guts on a door knob, but I don't know how it
will react with the plastic. My gut reaction is that it will be fine, but
it's not my boat....
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Rich P

Old February 21st, 2004, 01:25 AM
Carlos

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

There's a product called Never-Seize that is awesome,
that stuff is slicker than deer guts on a door knob, but I don't know how

it
will react with the plastic. My gut reaction is that it will be fine, but
it's not my boat....
--

"Slicker than deer guts on a doorknob"

LOL!

Carlos

Old February 21st, 2004, 03:19 AM
Acee

I use WD40 and/or White Silicone spray (whichever one is handy) on my Ranger
seat posts. I think those posts are aluminum (mine are) and it is the
galling of the aluminum. I suspect the sockets are aluminum also, aluminum
on aluminum does not run well together. I have a galling problem with
aluminum on wood so if the sockets are plastic it may be a galling
problem.Visit the "goop" counter in your local hardware store. As mentioned
in another message, "Never-Seize" would be a good one to look at. There are
several products along that order. I recently bought a small plastic box of
Silicone grease for such occasions. It has been too long ago that I was
into assigning the specs for these materials so can not think of the
specifics. Graphite is good but is staining and messy. As far as
"straighten this out once and for all", I think you will see a lasting
effect with the silicone, I do. WD40 will not last very long but is a quick
fix. I have also, in my work days, specified Teflon coatings on bushing
type bearings and I know there is a lasting effect after the Teflon is
apparently long gone. I was assured of that by the material supplier and he
was correct. If you have a source and/or applicator for Teflon it would be
great, but it does have to be mechanically locked to the surface, i.e.. sand
blasting before application. Bushing type bearings for turning shafts are
aluminum also but they are alloyed and are fed oil by one method or the
other to maintain a film and the oil film keeps them from touching.

I have had considerable operation problems with the seat elevation release
not holding and/or releasing. Even, had to have one post replaced. Again,
WD40.

Al Crumrine

"Rich Pierro" wrote in message
I have a Ranger boat and like most bass boats it has interchangeable
seating with posts that fit in holes in the floor. Anyway, mine seem to

be
binding Snipped

Old February 21st, 2004, 04:11 AM
RichZ

Sounds like you have the wide sockets. The ones that bind up are the 3/4"
pins. Especially the screw in ones. The pin is stainless and the bushing in
the socket is delrin. Most any penetrating lube does penetrate the delrin
to a certain extent, and swell it, which ends up locking it to the pin even
harder.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old February 21st, 2004, 04:15 AM
J Buck

I remember a product called TriFlon or TriFlow...good stuff. Probably
teflon based. It was a bit more pricey than WD-40 but worked great.
Havn't seen it for awhile, but then again, I havn't looked for it.

Old February 21st, 2004, 05:01 AM
Jerry Barton

LORD, remember STP ??

Old February 21st, 2004, 06:57 AM
J Buck

LORD, remember STP??

I remember a product called TriFlon or TriFlow...good stuff. Probably
teflon based. It was a bit more pricey than WD-40 but worked great.
Havn't seen it for awhile, but then again, I havn't looked for it

Remember it? I still USE it! Whatever happened to Andy Granatelli,
anyway?