Top Water - Still ???

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:07 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Top Water - Still ???

My last two outings I still got a hit or two on topwater. No. Nothing
spectacular, but a hit or two. I can't seem to hook up though.

Saturday I went out and explored a little. Didn't really fish. Just
checked out some water I hadn't been on before. About 11:30 I ran back to
the dock at Squaw Lake were I picked up my wife and kids, and another kid
who had spent the night at the house. I ran them up the river to Fisher's
Landing and we had lunch.

While I was waiting at the dock on Squaw Lake I saw schools of shad right up
against my boat two or three times, and some scattered top water minnow
action around the area.

I switched back and forth between throwing a topwater, a jerk bait, and a
spinner bait. I didn't catch anything, but I got two solid hits on the
topwater by one decent fish. Maybe 15 inches or so.

The first school of shad I saw went right under my boat, and I could see two
stripers slashing through the school below me.

With that much minnow action and obvious feeding fish what would you have
thrown?

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:18 PM
Bob La Londe

I thought about a Kastmaster spoon. I used to use them for stripers on Lake
Powell when jumping boils. I didn't have any in the boat. I will by the
next time I go out. I also need to get some small and medium size swivels
for throwing them. I did have some Mepps Timber Doodles now that I think
about it. I could have thrown those.

Old December 1st, 2003, 03:33 PM
Mike Keown

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I thought about a Kastmaster spoon. I used to use them for stripers on

Lake
Powell when jumping boils. I didn't have any in the boat. I will by the
next time I go out. I also need to get some small and medium size swivels
for throwing them. I did have some Mepps Timber Doodles now that I think
about it. I could have thrown those.

I was just learning to work a lure called a 'Weed

Walker' wasn't even expecting a strike, but it happened.
Unfortunately I was so surprised when I went to set
the hook, the fish was off. It looked to be at least a
couple of pounds. This was last week at Lum's Pond
in northern Delaware. The weather here has been
phenomenal for this time of year with the water temperature still in the
upper forties.
Mike

Old December 1st, 2003, 05:16 PM
Chris Rennert

Bob,

Here in Wisconsin we get a flurry like that all the time with the White
Bass, not largemouth (at least in the Winnebago chain). I will throw
anything from a blade bait (also white twister tail 3" to a 1", white hair
jig under a float, soft jerk bait, hard jerkbait, 1" to 4" tube jig, or #5
to #13 floating rapala) to a buzzbait, point being, I think any shad
imitation would work in a feeding frenzy.. I usually let the size of the
shad dictate the bait I throw. Also water clarity , will determine the
color I throw.
I wish I had more experience with schooling largemouth, but I have never
been fortunate enough to run into a school. I think your bait selection was
right on, maybe the feeding school was not that large and you got hits from
the few fish that were there. Here on Winnebago there could be a thousand
or more white bass just going nuts, but you catch 20 of them and you are
happy. So figure there are only 20 largemouth there and you took 2 shots
from 2 of those fish. Not to bad if you think about it. In the fall it
doesn't take a whole lot to get the shad nervous, they are constantly being
ambushed and hammered by multiple species. So one fish zooming towards them
can make several schools scatter.
Just a few thoughts from me.

good luck,

Chris Rennert

Old December 1st, 2003, 05:43 PM
Doc \(The Tin Boat King\)

A cast net for shad bait? Doc

Old December 1st, 2003, 10:21 PM
Bob La Londe

"Doc (The Tin Boat King)" wrote in message
A cast net for shad bait? Doc

I was on the California side. Throw nets not allowed. Now if I had been on
the Arizona side I would have been all over those bait fish.

Nothing like throwing a wounded shad into a school of shad to entice an
almost instant bite.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Speaking of Cast Nets

"Doc (The Tin Boat King)" wrote in message
A cast net for shad bait? Doc

Speaking of cast nets... did you see this pic from taking my son canal
banking last on November 23rd..

http://www.yumabassman.com/pictures/Pict0029a.jpg

Old December 2nd, 2003, 04:06 AM
Henry Hefner

It's a magic trick, right? That fish was hooked on the rod in the
background, and POOF!, it appeared in the net!

Old December 2nd, 2003, 02:44 PM
Bob La Londe

"Henry Hefner" wrote in message
It's a magic trick, right? That fish was hooked on the rod in the
background, and POOF!, it appeared in the net!

Lol. That picture doesn't show everything either. There a dozen tilapia
from 8 to 10" in the net behind that big old grass carp.

We were trying to catch some small tilapia or fathead minnows for bait.
When I started to lift that net I thought I had a picked up a log.