What length rod for what purpose

Old December 30th, 2003, 02:40 AM
luv2bafield

Default What length rod for what purpose

Can anybody shed some light on what different lengths and actions are
designed for? For example, fill in the blanks with all that apply (e.g.,
crankbaits, worm, spinnerbaits, topwater, etc):

6' med = __________
6'6" med hvy = _________
6'6" med = __________
7' med = ___________
7'6" med hvy = ___________

That seems like a reasonable sampling. What do you say? I am just trying
to figure out what to do with all those rods I bought on sale at BPS.
Mostly trigger style rods with baitcasters.

Thanks.

Old December 30th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"luv2bafield" wrote in message
.net...
Can anybody shed some light on what different lengths and actions are
designed for? For example, fill in the blanks with all that apply (e.g.,
crankbaits, worm, spinnerbaits, topwater, etc):

6' med = ___________
6'6" med hvy = _________
6'6" med = __________
7' med = ___________
7'6" med hvy = ___________

That seems like a reasonable sampling. What do you say? I am just trying
to figure out what to do with all those rods I bought on sale at BPS.
Mostly trigger style rods with baitcasters.

I think that much of rod selection is based on personal preference, the type of water you're
fishing, the cover, the type/weight of lures that you're using, sensitivity of the rod, etc.

Personally? I rarely use anything less than 7 foot long, even when it comes to ultralights. I use
a 7'10" med/heavy for heavy spinnerbaits, jigs and large cranks, a 7' medium for rest of my bass
fishing, unless I'm using lightweight lures, then I use a spinning rod. Even when I'm fishing Zara
Spooks or skipping lures under docks, I'm using a 7 foot rod.

I usually figure out what type of fishing I want to do, then design/build a rod to meet my demands,
not buy a rod and then figure out what I'm going to do with it.
--
Steve
OutdoorFrontiers

Old December 30th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Bob La Londe

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in message

[...]

I use mostly 7' + rods as well, but I found one application where I prefer a
6'6" rod. There are time when I can get a better action on certian
topwaters by pointing the rod down instead of up. A seven' rod is just a
hari long to work this way, and I find myself sticking it in the water when
using this technique from the deck of my boat.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

www.DiyComponents.com
Buy professional quality components for
DIY Projects

Old December 30th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Gone Angling

Flippin' rod 7.5 feet
Pitchin' rod 6,5 feet
Crankin' rod 6.5 to 7 feet
Trollin' rod 5.5 to 6 feet

Old December 30th, 2003, 11:17 PM
John Kerr

All my rods are 7', that just feels very comfortable to me. I use that
length for all types of bait presentaion. I think it is a personal
prefference thing, and I don't get too caught up in the "technical" end
of it all. I did design a 14' surf rod when I was fishing in the Gulf
though...and I could throw that sucker over the moon! g