Sage advice for Fred

Old December 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Rodger

Default Sage advice for Fred

Sorry group. I not real skilled at this yet. I'll get better.
Here's what I meant to send to the group.

First off, the pleasant ride, about 3 or 4 hrs. puts us on the south
fork
of the Sun river. Great place to camp and fish. Last time I was there
I don't think we saw two people...at a distance...in a weeks time.

Over the divide is another matter. Takes a long days ride up and over
and when you get there all you can think of is getting your butt off the
saddle and a stiff drink. My one, and only trip there was great but
rigorous. First day out I was dropped off on the side of a mountain
and told the river was "down below". Turns out it was way down below.
Had to slide, stumble and climb over the worst deadfall and
brush I ever had seen. I was kind of scared as it looked real spooky
and, to my unpracticed eye, very much like bear country. I finally
found
the river to my great relief, even though it looke even more like bear
country. You could not see much around each bend in the river because
of
the brush, which I considered to be the best bear cover in the world.
In
spite of that I unsheathed my mighty Sage rod and commenced whipping the
water. I absolutley had the time of my life.
Totally alone, catching native cuts, and, suddenly, found that I had no
fear of bears or anything else in the universe. Stopping to rest on a
sand
bar I stripped off naked and cooled off in the ice cold water of the
stream,
and then, thanks to my forthought, uncapped my flask and
had a nice 'drink'. I slept very well indeed! This was one of the
best
days of my life.

I have been out there 5 or 6 times and have never seen a bear, or even a
bear track. I guess it would have been fun to see one, but only at a
great
distance, and, no doubt, would have caused me a great deal more walking
and
probably no fishing.

By the way, the stream is called the Dannaher (sp?) and is in the White
River drainage.

Buff