California fishin'

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default California fishin'

California fishin' ain't all that great

but

I just got a note from a friend in West Yellowstone .

-8 degrees as he wrote it this morning

expected to get down to -20 over the next couple days

Arnoldland does have it's perks G

Old December 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

California fishin' ain't all that great

but

I just got a note from a friend in West Yellowstone .

-8 degrees as he wrote it this morning

expected to get down to -20 over the next couple days

Arnoldland does have it's perks G

Well, I predict snow as far south as San Diego by very late next week
and a white Christmas (no coke involved) for Los Angeles.
Looking at the long range wx charts, there is going to be some
amazingly cold, snowy wx in So Cal in the 5 days before Xmas.
Enjoy it.
Frank Reid
flytyer37.blogspot.com

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

I enjoyed fishin' the serrias, mammoth lakes, and surrounding
areas......It wasn't bad...esp for being so close to so cali
area......

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

" there is going to be some amazingly cold, snowy wx in So
Cal in the 5 days before Xmas "

yep, must be global warming.........

Old December 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote

I enjoyed fishin' the serrias, mammoth lakes, and surrounding
areas......It wasn't bad...esp for being so close to so cali
area......

You're right, that area has some good fishing ... as do several others
throughout the state. ( Not this time of year, Chuck, sorry )

California has nearly "everything" somewhere in the state, including
Truckee which is often the coldest spot in the lower 48.

I didn't really mean to stress the negative, rather the positive of todays
beautiful weather here ( I'm off to mow the lawn this afternoon in summer
weight nylon Patagonia pants and a Campmor fleece shirt Ken linked to
recently and I'm likely to be a bit too warm, if not simply perfect ;-)

I spent every hour I possibly could in the Sierras when I was young, hiking,
climbing, some fishing .... it IS the most beautiful and 'comfortable' range
in the world .. above timberline, and off the trails. I can see Yosemite
area peaks from my deck .... some days ... I'm a lucky guy to live in the
state

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"Frank Reid © 2008" wrote in message

California fishin' ain't all that great

but

I just got a note from a friend in West Yellowstone .

-8 degrees as he wrote it this morning

expected to get down to -20 over the next couple days

Arnoldland does have it's perks G

Well, I predict snow as far south as San Diego by very late next week
and a white Christmas (no coke involved) for Los Angeles.
Looking at the long range wx charts, there is going to be some
amazingly cold, snowy wx in So Cal in the 5 days before Xmas.
Enjoy it.
Frank Reid
flytyer37.blogspot.com

They are forcasting snow on the hills near San Francisco Bay this weekend.
We do need the water. Probably 1000' snow level. Hills behind Livermore
get white a couple times a winter.

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

On Dec 9, 11:11 am, "Larry L" wrote:
California fishin' ain't all that great

but

I just got a note from a friend in West Yellowstone .

-8 degrees as he wrote it this morning

expected to get down to -20 over the next couple days

Arnoldland does have it's perks G

But this time of year is ski time at Mammoth. So we do the summer trip.
This year, the fishing was off. When I tried to fish the Owens and Hot
Creek, the wind came up and rain caused flash floods south of Mammoth. 40+
mph wind. Figured the flyline was not going to go anywhere near where I
wanted it to land. Normally does that, but not as far off as I figured it
would be from the desired landing point.

Old December 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

Calif Bill...yep, I have done that fly fishin' near the airport, hot
creek, in the
wind, with snow clouds blowing in from the mammoth lakes area...pretty
cold, not
very easy to cast a fly line, thats for sure !! we ended up in tha
car 1/2 the time....

the next am was good though.......there are some nice spots between
mammoth
airport and bishop...if the weather lets you fish.....

cheers

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in ...

Old December 11th, 2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

On Dec 9, 11:11 am, "Larry L" wrote:

California fishin' ain't all that great

but

I just got a note from a friend in West Yellowstone .

-8 degrees as he wrote it this morning

expected to get down to -20 over the next couple days

Arnoldland does have it's perks G

But this time of year is ski time at Mammoth. So we do the summer trip.
This year, the fishing was off. When I tried to fish the Owens and Hot
Creek, the wind came up and rain caused flash floods south of Mammoth. 40+
mph wind. Figured the flyline was not going to go anywhere near where I
wanted it to land. Normally does that, but not as far off as I figured it
would be from the desired landing point.

We normally stay at Pine Cliff Campground. Take the truck camper off and
fish both the lakes and streams. Take the tandem kayak with us. Wife
paddles while I fish. Or float tube some of the small lakes near Devils
Postpile.

Old December 12th, 2008, 04:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
~^ beancounter ~^

" Devils Postpile "

great area.....the camping is great down in reds medow.......
we did a lot of high school "epic trips" down there....lots to
see and do.......

"~^ beancounter ~^" wrote in ...

On Dec 9, 11:11 am, "Larry L" wrote:

[...]

Postpile.- Hide quoted text -