advice on weights

Old January 5th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Ian Kay

Default advice on weights

"malcolm" wrote in message
news:1E7Ib.693362$Tr4.1735113@attbi_s03...
hello folks
anybody have any advice on what size and type of weights to use,
for casting through 10 inches of Ice on our local lakes!
regards malcolm

--
¸.·´¯`·.¸((((º.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸((((º.·´¯`·.¸
LED Headlamps and Sea Fishing UK

Well Malcom this is actually a very difficuly one to answer as so much
depends on the quality of the ice and its composition: is it salt or fresh
water ice ?, is it solid water ice or frozen snow ice or a combination
thereof ?, does it contain dissolved impurities?, is it over still or
running water?, is it in the process of thaw or still freezing?, was it
formed as one continuous sheet or laid down as strata in several freezing
events?, etc etc etc, you can imagine the problems and combinations of
variables involved.

There have as you can imagine been many surveys and studies conducted on the
load bearing and in this instance impact resistance qualities of ice. An
interesting article is to be found at
http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...icefishing.pdf. In this article
it gives rough minimum thicknesses of ice for various load conditions. In
your circumstance it would appear that the ball park figure you should be
working around lays somewhere between the weight of an automobile and that
of a large truck, maybe 5 or 6 tons !!, probably a problem.

Maybe you should consider some sort of explosive device, this would have the
added benefit of both making the fish more accesible, rendering them
insensible and therefore easier to catch, maybe even delivering some of them
direct to your fishing station, making you instantly popular with all your
fellow anglers, discouraging skaters and scaring away cormorants and other
fish eating birds. All things considered there is much to recommend such a
tactic, please keep us posted with your results

Regards Ian

Old January 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Alec Powell

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Ian Kay, gave forth these words of wisdom:
There have as you can imagine been many surveys and studies conducted
on the load bearing and in this instance impact resistance qualities of
ice. An interesting article is to be found at
http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...icefishing.pdf.

Thanks for this Ian. A very interesting website :-)
I especially liked this bit:
" ICE AUGER hand - auger or gas-driven power
auger for drilling holes in the ice. This tool is essential
for ice over 12 inches thick or when there are many holes
to cut. Extensions are often needed to get through thick
(36 - 48 inches) late winter ice. Protect the blades and
keep them sharpened at the correct angle because a dull
ice auger won't cut into the ice. Don't drill into the bottom, and
remember to take spare blades along."
Wonder if they do one at Screwfix?

The idea of using some sort of explosive device brings back memories of
fishing in Malaysia using Thunderflashes tied to rocks and then thrown
into the locals fishing ponds. Wonderful results with the locals
appreciating? 90% of their stocks being brought to the surface thereby
doing away with the need to use rod and line. (They don't fish for fun
out there - just for the pot!)
Somehow, though, I don't think I would like the idea of exploding
something under the ice if I were standing on top of it :-(
I am interested however as to where Malcolm's lakes with 10 inches if
ice are. We're in the middle of one of the mildest winters I've known
down here at the moment and I had very little success down at Lulworth
Cove over Christmas which was a bit disappointing. Maybe I should ask
Derek Moody for some advice :-)
Cheers,
Alec (I want to live by the sea!) Powell
--
Alec and Valerie Powell Watlington Oxon. UK

http://www.prole.demon.co.uk

Old January 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:

Somehow, though, I don't think I would like the idea of exploding
something under the ice if I were standing on top of it :-(

Everyone else who has already drilled their hole gets a free shower - a
great way to make friends and influence people.

down here at the moment and I had very little success down at Lulworth
Cove over Christmas which was a bit disappointing. Maybe I should ask
Derek Moody for some advice :-)

OK, here it comes:
Don't fish Lulworth Cove at Christmas.

The that about covers it I reckon.

Most of that coast will be poor fishing now 'til the pollock return in a
couple of months.

Cheerio,

Old January 5th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Alec Powell

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
down here at the moment and I had very little success down at Lulworth
Cove over Christmas which was a bit disappointing. Maybe I should ask
Derek Moody for some advice :-)

OK, here it comes:
Don't fish Lulworth Cove at Christmas.

The that about covers it I reckon.

Wonderful Derek, I knew I could rely on you for some good advice :-)

Most of that coast will be poor fishing now 'til the pollock return in a
couple of months.

In that case I shall have to return, ( maybe for good one day I hope).
Cheers,
Alec

Old January 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Derek.Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:

Most of that coast will be poor fishing now 'til the pollock return in a
couple of months.

In that case I shall have to return, ( maybe for good one day I hope).

If you're going to stay I'm not sure we should show you how to deplete the
stocks ;-)

OTOH if you promise not to catch 'em all let me know when you're coming down
and we might be able to find a few fish - leave it til spring if you want
sal****er flyfishing though.

Cheerio,