Seam tape

Old October 17th, 2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Seam tape

Anybody know where to get the heat-applied seam tape used in waders?
Sometimes you get a foot or two with the waders, but I'd like to find it in
bigger lengths

TIA

Old October 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Daniel-San

"Larry L" wrote ...
Anybody know where to get the heat-applied seam tape used in waders?
Sometimes you get a foot or two with the waders, but I'd like to find it
in bigger lengths

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Seam%20Sealers.html

Scroll down a bit.

I ordered from these folks once a few years ago when making a large tarp.

But... have you considered using a glue like McNett's Seam Grip instead?
Works wonderfully well and there's no ironing.

-Dan

Old October 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

On Oct 17, 5:30*pm, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:
"Larry L" wrote ...

Anybody know where to get the heat-applied seam tape used in waders?
Sometimes you get a foot or two with the waders, but I'd like to find it
in bigger lengths

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Seam%20Sealers.html

Scroll down a bit.

I ordered from these folks once a few years ago when making a large tarp.

But... have you considered using a glue like McNett's Seam Grip instead?
Works wonderfully well and there's no ironing.

-Dan

Seam Grip is great. Similar to Aqua Seal, but remains much more
flexible after drying, and comes with a neat applicator. I had a pair
of waders repaired by Orvis recently, and they used Seam Grip instead
of retaping.
Old October 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:51:28 -0700 (PDT), george9219
wrote:

On Oct 17, 5:30*pm, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:
"Larry L" wrote ...

Anybody know where to get the heat-applied seam tape used in waders?
Sometimes you get a foot or two with the waders, but I'd like to find it
in bigger lengths

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Seam%20Sealers.html

Scroll down a bit.

I ordered from these folks once a few years ago when making a large tarp.

But... have you considered using a glue like McNett's Seam Grip instead?
Works wonderfully well and there's no ironing.

-Dan

Seam Grip is great. Similar to Aqua Seal, but remains much more
flexible after drying, and comes with a neat applicator. I had a pair
of waders repaired by Orvis recently, and they used Seam Grip instead
of retaping.

Two words...well, maybe it's one word...Shoe Goo, or as the case may
officially be, ShoeGoo...

If you must have the tape, and you're talking about what I think you
are, you might try a banner/billboard company. They use it to seam the
edges of banners, billboard covers, etc.

TC,

Old October 18th, 2008, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Oct 18, 2:32*am, wrote:
On Oct 17, 11:19*pm, "Larry L" wrote:

Anybody know where to get the heat-applied seam tape used in waders?
Sometimes you get a foot or two with the waders, but I'd like to find it in
bigger lengths

TIA

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Seam%20Sealers.html

Ooops, see you already got that. This may be of interest;

http://www.kappler.com/pdf/seamsmart_pdf/Seam_Seal.pdf

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/thre...seam_tape.html
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

wrote:
On Oct 17, 5:30*pm, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:
"Larry L" wrote ...

[...]

Not Shoe Goo.....Seam Grip is much more flexible than Shoo Goo after
it dries.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:
On Oct 17, 5:30*pm, "Daniel-San" (Rot13)
wrote:
"Larry L" wrote ...

[...]

Next time I need such, I'l try it. I've not found Shoe Goo to be
inflexible, but I lay it on in thin layers, so ??? IAC, if Seam Grip is
quicker, I'd be all for that.

TC,
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

Next time I need such, I'l try it. I've not found Shoe Goo to be
inflexible, but I lay it on in thin layers, so ??? IAC, if Seam Grip is
quicker, I'd be all for that.

As a great fan of "Goop" aka ShoeGoo for many uses, I must say it isn't good
for wader repair ( breathable ) and the various AquaSeal/ SeamGrip products
do much better, being far more flexible .... AquaSeal has quick cure
formulas now

I want to find the tape, because I always have a 'rough usage' pair of
waders around that I use for, ah, rough usage where the seams bear a lot of
stress. Rough usage includes riding my bike wearing waders, and float tube
wading. Float tube wading is using a tube as water wings while trying to
reach places too deep to wade, but still trying to touch bottom to avoid
floating away (Silver Creek tube sections) ... the between the legs strap
of the tube rides up hard into ... private areas ... and greatly stresses
the crotch seam. Rowing ( butt sliding around on seat ), biking, and the
tube wading all CLEARLY decrease life span of waders for ME ... double
bottom waders address the rowing but none I've found, regardless of price,
have seams that will last nearly as long as the rest of the wader ( the
fabric/membrane itself ) ... in these high stress uses. I've never
"worn out" seams with standard wading, the membrane loses it's abilty to
keep water out first usually after several years .... but I've ruined seams
in a single day tube wading.

Why do I want tape instead of reinforcing seams with a glue? Because the
glues conduct heat better and always feel cold, been there tried that.
Double taped seams are far stronger, than single taped, but don't have this
"cold line" feeling.