Fishing Bait Terms - stick bait, plug, shiner, minnow?

Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
geoi310

Default Fishing Bait Terms - stick bait, plug, shiner, minnow?

Hello,
I run an online bass fishing lure store and am trying to consolidate
the names of fishing lure categories. I noticed that different lures
and baits are called different things in different parts of the
country. Are there certain terms that are freshwater only that don't
apply to sal****er baits?

Can you help me clarify all the terms for certain baits and try to
categorize what's similar?

Here's what I've got so far:

Swimbait or Swim Bait - , a realistic soft plastic lure that has a
realistic swimming motion when retrieved.

Jig or Jigs - weighted lure that is bounced in the water.

Crankbait or Crank Bait, hard lure with a lip that allows the bait to
dive when retrieved. Usually has a wobbling motion when retieved.

Jerk Baits - hard lure shaped like a minnow. A jerk retrieve is used
to simulate sudden motion of a scared, fleeing or injured bait fish.
Can be a suspending or floating bait.

Twitch Baits - hard lure shaped like a minnow. A twitching retrieve
is used to simulate sudden motion of scared, fleeing or insured bait
fish. What's the difference between a Jerk Bait and Twitch Bait?

Topwater Baits - floating hard lures or buzzbaits that create
commotion on the surface of the water attracting the attention of
fish. They create splashes, bubbles, or wakes on the surface of the
water.

Trolling baits, plugs - hard baits, usually with a lip, used for
trolling behind boats, kayaks, float tubes, etc. What does the term
"Plug" refer to? A hard bait?

What category would stick baits, pencil baits, surface darters,
swisshers, teasers, go into?

Are there other popular terms for artificual lures I'm missing?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you,

http://www.extremelures.com
Award Winning Bass Lures, Baits & Tackle
Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Illinois Fisherman

Your in the "business" and you don't know? Nice try at concealing Spam bud.
But then again your in California.

om...

Old September 27th, 2004, 03:20 PM
alwaysfishking

California spammer wrote:
Twitch Baits - hard lure shaped like a minnow. A twitching retrieve
is used to simulate sudden motion of scared, fleeing or insured bait
fish. What's the difference between a Jerk Bait and Twitch Bait?

Obviously the Jerk Bait is insured :-)

Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Guy F. Anderson Sr.

On 22 Sep 2004 01:18:19 -0700, (geoi310) wrote:

Hello,
I run an online bass fishing lure store and am trying to consolidate
the names of fishing lure categories.

plonk.........
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
RGarri7470

Don't see spinnerbaits. And where do you put buzzbaits - in the topwater
category?
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:16 PM
alwaysfishking

California spammer wrote: Twitch Baits - hard lure shaped like a minnow. A
twitching retrieve
is used to simulate sudden motion of scared, fleeing or insured bait
fish. What's the difference between a Jerk Bait and Twitch Bait?

The jerkbait couldn't get coverage? :-)