Batteries for trolling motor on a jon boat..>>>

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:33 PM
Marty S.

Default Batteries for trolling motor on a jon boat..>>>

Hi all...

I'm looking for suggestions of deep cycle batteries for my 12' jon boat with
a 65lb, 24volt Minn Kota transom mounted motor. I will be using it in a
local reservoir that only allows electric motors. I'm looking for a good
trade-off between the weight of the battery (I'm going to be needing 2
batteries), the reserve time & amps, and cost. I've ruled out the sealed
gel-type batteries due to their weight and COST! The total capacity of my
boat is about 500lbs (including equipment and people).

Any suggestions? From here I have access to most battery distributors and
outdoor-type stores including Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's.

And -- suggestions for a charger. I'm supposing that I will be taking the
batteries out of the boat at the end of the day and recharging them in my
garage. I've heard not to let the batteries run down too far and that
recharging them after use is the best way to maintain a good charge -- yes??
Is this right?

Thanks in advance!!!

--
Marty S.
Baltimore, MD USA

Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Calif Bill

"Marty S." wrote in message
[...]

Group 24's from Costco or Wal-mart. They will be about 50 /ea. The 24 is
lighter than the grp 27 and my 21' boat can go a couple of days on the Group
27's and a MK 65 AP. I use a Wal-mart charger. They will cook your battery
if left on for days, so I just use a $5 timer from Home Depot and take the
"on" tab off the timer and set the timer for 10-12 hours of on time before
the "off" tab turns off the switch.
bill

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:32 AM

Marty,
If you haven't bought the trolling motor yet I'd rethink your choice from
the standpoint of naval engineering. Your boats natural hull speed (amount
of waterline in the water on displacement type hulls) will be a deciding
factor on boat performance. For this reason I'd save a bunch of money and
weight and go with the smallest full variable speed trolling motor you can
find.
What I'm trying to say is there is a point where more HP doesn't help if the
boat isn't on plane, in displacement hulls the square root of the effective
waterline is the maximum efficient speed. Any additional power after that is
a massive use the hp or in your case battery amperage with rapidly
diminishing returns. In canoe racing it's called "trying to climb the hull
speed hill." More muscle needed to optimize canoe speed with less to show
for it.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Joseph Stachyra

Dear Marty: You say weight is a problem, and you say your use is only
your local reservoir.
and your boat is very small, thus meaning, your not going into deep or far
away waters.

1. response Car Batteries are lighter than deep cycle and cheaper, why
not. Your not going to sea.
2. Or go to Sears and get two deep cycle batteries they have many sizes.
3. open that wallet, let the moths out of it, and buy a bigger boat and do
it right.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Todd Copeland

I'd strongly recommend against cranking (car) batteries. It's not a question
of how long the batteries will last while in use, it's a question of how the
battery holds a charge. Cranking batteries are designed to deliver quick and
momentary power. They are also designed to be kept fully charged. If this
battery was drained and recharged several times it will stop holding a
charge and probably only last a few month. A deep cycle battery is designed
for this type of charge and discharge and can last years.

Old May 3rd, 2004, 09:01 PM
Rod McInnis

"Marty S." wrote in message
Hi all...
I'm looking for a good
trade-off between the weight of the battery (I'm going to be needing 2
batteries), the reserve time & amps, and cost.

The first thing that you will need to establish is the desired run time on
the motor. If you use standard 27 series deep cycle batteries your run time
at maximum thrust will be under 2 hours, probably closer to 90 minutes. If
you run at less than maximum speed you would probably get two hours or more
from it.

If that is sufficient for your needs then your best bet would be two
standard lead-acid deep cycle batteries. You should be able to pick these
up for $65 to $75 each.

If you need more than that then your best bet would be to use golf cart
batteries. The case size of these are referred to as T-105 or 2200 series.
They are about the same length and width as a standard battery but they are
a bit taller. They are also 6 volts, so you will need four of them. These
batteries are the work horse of the golf cart industry and they are readily
available. Look in the phone book under "battery" and find an industrial
battery supply house. You should be able to find these batteries for under
$70 each.

These batteries will more than double your run time. They should also last
more than twice as many years as the 12 volt batteries will, so overall they
are a sound investment.

Rod McInnis

Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:52 PM
Bob

Why is nobody picking up on this setup?
Let's review your rig;
12' Jon boat with max. capacity of 500 lbs.
24v Minn Kota with 65lb of thrust.
What are you going to be doing with this rig? Towing water-skiers? I'm not
trying to be sarcastic, but this is a LOT of motor for such a small boat.
Usually seen on boats of much larger capacity and hull weight.

My rig;
14' Starcraft utility boat (old style w/ shallow sides) = approx. hull
weight 135 lbs.
2 fishermen = 400 lbs.
All of our gear (including electric trolling motor and battery) = approx.
125 lbs.
Trolling motor is a Minn Kota Endura 12v, 36lb transom mount = $100 at time
of purchase
One (1) marine deep cycle battery from my local farm supply house, house
branded (mfg. by Johnson Controls) = $45 on sale
I can fish the cranberry marshes (NO gas motors allowed, just having one ON
the boat will get you a fine) for two (2), 5-6 hour days without depleting
the charge in one (1) cheapo battery.

Suggestion;
Look into a less expensive setup for this boat.

Standard, portable style of battery charger will work just fine. Make sure
that it has a setting, or is compatible with, deep cycle batteries. I prefer
the Schumacher(sic) brand. With this you can also recharge right in the boat
as long as the charger is kept out of the rain.

Recharge as often as you can. While deep cycle batteries can withstand a
much deeper discharge than automotive type batteries, they will benefit (in
terms of length of life) from being recharged at lower levels of discharge.
Also, keep them charged up during periods of not being used (i.e. the
winter), either with a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger, or plug them into your
regular charger once a month and bring them back up to full charge. All
batteries will self-discharge while in storage, and this will affect the
life of the battery.

Bob

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:56 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

One of the reasons I didn't question the setup is the fact that I don't know
how he's going to be using the rig. If he were to actually use the trolling
motor for trolling, a typical 12 volt system isn't going to cut it for a
full day of fishing. I'd rather be overpowered than under any day of the
week.

Now, if he's strictly going to be positioning the boat, then I agree, 24
might be overkill and a 12 volt might be enough. As far as the motor
selection, maybe it's what he already has and he doesn't want to buy a
different trolling motor.

As to a charger selection, I picked up an automatic battery charger at
Wal-Mart for $39.95 and used it for quite a while, until I got a boat with
an on-board charger system. I always had full batteries overnight and had
good battery life.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Shawn

"Bob" wrote ...
Why is nobody picking up on this setup?
Let's review your rig;
12' Jon boat with max. capacity of 500 lbs.
24v Minn Kota with 65lb of thrust.
What are you going to be doing with this rig? Towing water-skiers?

Excellent observation. I ran a 36# MK on a single 12v deep cycle for a
couple of years with no problems, and I often fished for hours on end. It
was an old 14' jon retrofitted with 3/4" plywood decks fore and aft, 1/2"
plywood floor and side panels...all carpeted. I found I needed the weight of
the battery and a water filled Coleman cooler (aka live well) on the aft
deck to aid in positioning the damned thing. Without weight in the rear it
was like riding a skateboard on only the front axel...ridiculous.

65#'s of thrust on a 24v system will push that li'l 12'er around pretty
good - be careful in the "No Wake" zones.

--
Early to Bed, Early to Rise,
Fish all Day, Make up Lies.

Shawn

Old May 4th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Jim

Bob wrote:
Why is nobody picking up on this setup?

:^)

My extremely limited experience with a 12' Jon boat was that I had
never been in anything so unstable in my life. I've got one that
someone gave me and I'm going to set it up with a trolling motor as
I already have a deep cycle battery for it. However, based on that
limited experience noted above, in addition to the required life
jackets for the passenger or two, there WILL also be a life jacket
attached to the battery itself, just in case. :^)

-Jim

PS: The towing water-skiers comment was pretty funny and with this
light of a boat, probably not far from the truth. :^)