Braid knot

Old May 7th, 2004, 11:42 PM
CDOYLE0361

Default Braid knot

Anyone know a braid to nylon knot on a site as I just bought anew reel and
want to put some backing on
Is there a special knot required ??
CD
Old May 8th, 2004, 11:26 AM
SEAANGLING

Hi Colin, try the grinner knot, cheers, Norman.
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:27 PM
MikeB

"CDOYLE0361" wrote in message
Anyone know a braid to nylon knot on a site as I just bought anew reel

and
want to put some backing on
Is there a special knot required ??
CD

The only one that I have found never slips is the ten turn blood knot, I use
this for attaching a shockleader or to backing -

1. Instead of the usual half hitch in the shockleader do the half hitch and
then pass the line through the loop again. Having done that you then hold
the two sides of the loop and put a half twist in it to make a figure eight.
To rephrase, it is as simple as it sounds, pass the free end through the
loop twice and then twist the loop so that what was the top of the loop
passes over the double twist you made and hold it as it will try to jump
back.

2. Then pass the braid through the tag end side of the figure eight making
sure that it goes the same way as the tag end (in the opposite direction of
course), over the centre of the eight and follow the leader through the
other half of the eight so the free end of the braid is following the main
part of the leader.

3. Wet the figure eight and pull it as tight as possible, snip off the tag
end and heat and blob the end if you want to play safe. If you hold the
centre of the figure eight while alternately pulling the main part of the
leader and the tag end and you can get it to tighten down as a figure eight,
otherwise it will jump out and finish up a funny shape.

4. Next slide enough of the braid through the knot and hold it along the
leader for a couple of inches, make a loop and while holding the loop wind
ten turns around the braid and leader working back to the figure eight knot.

5. Keeping the winding as tight as you can, pass the free end back and
through the loop, hold the braid tag end and tighten by pulling the main
length of the braid so that it tightens and pulls up against the figure
eight.

6. Trim off the tag end of the braid. Since the braid is floppy and not
likely to catch on anything it does not have to be too close. Some people
like to add a blob of superglue to the braid knot.

MikeB

Old May 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , CDOYLE0361
wrote:
Anyone know a braid to nylon knot on a site as I just bought anew reel and
want to put some backing on
Is there a special knot required ??

If it's just backing then a simple loop to loop is hard to beat.

Cheerio,

Old May 9th, 2004, 12:43 AM
CDOYLE0361

THanks all wish me luck on the conger tommorw