TUNA!

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Default TUNA!

Darwin Vander Stelt wrote:

One would expect a conversation like this at a woman's quilting bee. ...

Please cull the meniscus and refurbish the culled dictionary with
delicious halibut. The dictionary culling will perhaps prove detrimental
to the meniscus but seasonal trout will be eaten culling or no culling.

[Those of you who are stupid, ignorant clods in need of and in thrall
to dictionary definitions may not understand, but Wolfie and Weinberger
know what I mean.]

--
Ken Fortenberry

Old April 5th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Tim J.

"Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote...
One would expect a conversation like this at a woman's quilting bee. Perhaps
fly tieing attracts people, who, in their admirable fascination with
minutiae, exhibit other characteristics usually associated with a bunch of
damn women. It is becoming clear that this habit of continual nit-picking
with the accompanying ad hominem attack is not some learned behavior which
can be easily changed. It is a constitutional defect relating to sexual
orientation. If you look like you have pms, act like you have pms, get ****y
and mean like you have pms, damn, you could be a woman! But you probably tie
really nice flies, and if you wished, could crochet and knit lovely doillies
(sp) too!

In a search for doiley making information to put me more in touch with my femine
side, I came across this quote, which I thought appropriate for this group: "I
have absolutely no place to put doilies, and yet I keep making more of them."

Yes, Virginia, there are doiley whores.
--
TL,
Tim

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Wayne Harrison

"Darwin Vander Stelt" wrote in message
One would expect a conversation like this at a woman's quilting bee.

Perhaps
fly tieing attracts people, who, in their admirable fascination with
minutiae, exhibit other characteristics usually associated with a bunch of
damn women. It is becoming clear that this habit of continual nit-picking
with the accompanying ad hominem attack is not some learned behavior which
can be easily changed. It is a constitutional defect relating to sexual
orientation. If you look like you have pms, act like you have pms, get

****y
and mean like you have pms, damn, you could be a woman! But you probably

tie
really nice flies, and if you wished, could crochet and knit lovely

doillies
(sp) too!

my, my, darwin; pretty work! whence comest thou?

and the nomme de plume is just perfect for this place...

wayno

Old April 5th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Jonathan Cook

Willi wrote in message ...

However, I don't see that as a widely held position by
people on this newsgroup.

I agree (and we worked real hard to get there :-).

I too was surprised by cyli's statement. Yet there it
was, and I'm inclined to believe she said it for some
valid reason. Women tend to be more perceptive to the
subtlies that flow underneath actualities. I guess we'll
have to try harder :-)

BTW, nice "yesterday" TR. Down here it rained _again_
last night. Alot. We're way over where we should be. It's
absolutely wonderful, a miracle. Springtime is usually dry,
dusty, and very windy. We've had very few windstorms and I'd
say we're approaching 2" of rain over the last few days, with
more in the forecast. On the maps it looks like this storm
is generating more snow up in the Rio Grande basin in S. CO.
I hope so. This land needs it.

Jon.
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Willi

Jonathan Cook wrote:

BTW, nice "yesterday" TR. Down here it rained _again_
last night. Alot. We're way over where we should be. It's
absolutely wonderful, a miracle. Springtime is usually dry,
dusty, and very windy. We've had very few windstorms and I'd
say we're approaching 2" of rain over the last few days, with
more in the forecast. On the maps it looks like this storm
is generating more snow up in the Rio Grande basin in S. CO.
I hope so. This land needs it.

Glad to hear you guys are getting some moisture. The snowpack across the
Rockies is pretty uneven. Much of the area is down. In CO, a couple
areas are about average but most of the State is down. It's bad here up
north. We have rain forecasted several days this week. Need it bad.

Willi

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Bob Weinberger

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message

Do a Google search on the phrase "culled from" and see what percentage
of the usage in the results requires the 'culls' to be undesirable.
--
Charlie...

So, based on that, you wouldn't take offense if I called you a cull. :)

Seriously though, it was enlightening , the usage seemed to run about 50/50.

Interesting to note that, in all the instances listed, where the things
culled were not considered undesireable (for a given purpose), they were
inanimate objects such as books, receipes, articles, etc. ( though in some
cases inanimate objects were culled because of unsuitability for a given
purpose). However, in all cases listed in the search results where the
objects being culled were (or had recently been) animate, the items culled
were considered undesireable, or at least suspect. Since this whole
discussion started with a statement about culling fish, and almost all my
experience with the term has been in its usage with animate objects, I
focused on the meaning of the word in that context, and thus may have had
blinders on its broader application.

I had planned on going fishing today and tomorrow, but just found out that
the irrigation district that controls the dam above the water I intended to
fish is increasing the flows for the season from 11CFS to 160CFS starting
today. Oh well, the fishing should be good next week once the fish have
settled in to their new feeding stations. Its more enjoyable to fish in
water that is actually moving anyway.

--
Bob Weinberger
La, Grande, OR

place a dot between bobs and stuff and remove invalid to send email

Old April 5th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Charlie Choc

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:34:43 GMT, "Bob Weinberger"
wrote:

"Charlie Choc" wrote in message
.. .

Do a Google search on the phrase "culled from" and see what percentage
of the usage in the results requires the 'culls' to be undesirable.
--
Charlie...

So, based on that, you wouldn't take offense if I called you a cull. :)

Not at all, but I expect you would be if I called you one. g That's
the way loaded words work. Cull: the squaw of the new millennium.
--
Charlie...
Old April 6th, 2004, 07:32 AM
JR

Greg Pavlov wrote:

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:16:24 +0200, JR wrote:

... The fly fishing industry strongly, actively
pushes C&R. It consistently implies, or states more or less
explicitly, that releasing a fish, in itself, is inherently somehow
superior (economically, ecologically, morally) to killing a fish.

C&R promotes more fisherman-hours on our waters, which
should ultimately translate to more money spent on
equipment. So it's a good business decision :-)

Bingo. The industry tries to get its clients all warm and fuzzy about
the "morality" and eco-friendliness of C&R but knows exactly which side
its fish are buttered on.

JR