TUNA!

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:29 AM
Halfordian Golfer

Default TUNA!

"rb608" wrote in message

wrote in message news
Nice to have you back, as one of the few, if not the only one, other
than me on here who thinks that eating the occasional trout is a good
idea.

AAMOF, I was just thinking this week I'd like to go yank out a few

stockers
for dinner one day. (...oh wait, you probably meant real fish.g)

Me too.

FWIW - I was browsing the CDOW web page. Apparently a few of the major
hatcheries are now WD free and they will, once again, be stocking millions
of catchable fish this year. The ones that make it to next spring should be
delicious. This is great news for all anglers here and don't kid yourself if
you think otherwise. There is a video link on the tremendous benefits of the
hatchery program to Colorado fisheries, which simply wouldn't exist here in
most places without it and which funds the research which protects what we
have and makes the indiginous recovery possible and more. If it weren't for
hatcheries, there'd be no rainbow trout, the once state fish, in Colorado
(So. Platte, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork..i.e. "The Front Nine"). And, they are
excellent smoked.

Your pal,

--
TBone

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:50 AM
Willi

Halfordian Golfer wrote:

FWIW - I was browsing the CDOW web page. Apparently a few of the major
hatcheries are now WD free and they will, once again, be stocking millions
of catchable fish this year. The ones that make it to next spring should be
delicious. This is great news for all anglers here and don't kid yourself if
you think otherwise. There is a video link on the tremendous benefits of the
hatchery program to Colorado fisheries, which simply wouldn't exist here in
most places without it and which funds the research which protects what we
have and makes the indiginous recovery possible and more. If it weren't for
hatcheries, there'd be no rainbow trout, the once state fish, in Colorado
(So. Platte, Frying Pan, Roaring Fork..i.e. "The Front Nine"). And, they are
excellent smoked.

I don't understand how the hatcheries "fund the research which protects
what we have." Raising catchable trout is VERY expensive. It takes
revenue from our strapped DOW, it doesn't provide it.

I'm not anti hatcheries, they do play important roles but stocking
catchables in the vast majority of Colorado's streams and rivers is a
waste a money and is destructive to the fisheries.

I may be "kidding myself" but the fishing on the Poudre and the Big
Thompson and most of our local streams is much better since they stopped
stocking catchables. There's good research to back up the counter
productive effects of stocking catchable trout into streams and rivers
that can support a healthy stream bred population. If you think the
stream and river fishing was better when they stocked catchables, you
haven't been out much in the last few years.

Good to "hear" from ya.

Willi

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:56 AM
Particle Salad

wrote in message

Nice to have you back, as one of the few, if not the only one, other
than me on here who thinks that eating the occasional trout is a good
idea.

Not only is it a good idea, it's the only good idea.

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.

Old March 31st, 2004, 05:24 AM
rw

Willi wrote:

Halfordian Golfer wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like supporting hatcheries so you can
put some fish on the table is more than a little inefficient. You'd be
far better off buying them at the market, and so would everyone else.

It's actually worse than inefficient. It's harmful to wild fish populations.

I suppose it's inevitable, now that the "Halfordian Golfer" is back,
that we'll get into tedious discussions of C&R vs. C&K. What a
pointless, sterile exercise. I'll happily kill and eat fish when it's
practical and when the regs allow it, but I don't need some lame,
semi-mystical philosophy to justify my sport fishing.

I'll soon be in the Florida Keys, fishing for bonefish, permit, and
tarpon. None of those species are worth spit for eating. So what?
They're fun and challenging to catch, or at least to attempt to catch.

Old April 1st, 2004, 08:59 AM

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:56:24 -0500, Jeff Miller
wrote:

ya know, this discussion has me thinking...

does anyone know what causes toenails to thicken and to become tough to
cut? ...

jeff (standing in the stream of unconscious thought, with thick toenails)

Thyroid can do it. Though most people get the more objectionable (to
them) one of thin finger and toe nails with easy splitting, peeling,
and breaking.

You can't call them really thick and tough until you have to soak them
for 10 to 20 minutes before trying to use the clippers on them.

If it's just the big toes, your shoes may be too short. If it's just
a few of the toes, fungus might be present.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Old April 1st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Particle Salad

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

Actually, there are vanishingly few C&R purists and exactly zero C&K

purists
who have made their presence known in this news group. This is one of the
two major reasons that the entire argument is so tedious and unrelievedly
stupid. The other, of course, is that there is no issue.

I'm pretty close to being a "C&K purist" I suppose, and I'm still here...
even if I don't post all that much this time of year.