Fly Fishing from the bank - is it done?

Old November 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Wayne Knight

Default Fly Fishing from the bank - is it done?

Frank Reid wrote:

Well, don't know about falling over

Didn't your momma teach you it's not nice to lie?

Old November 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Wolfgang

"Bob Stady" wrote in message
...When
talking about the waders they told some horror stories about people
fishing
in cold water in the wrong gear and getting hypothermia and the like. On
the way home I got to wondering why you wouldn't just fish from the shore
if the water was really cold. So my question is: is it possible to fly
fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.

As others have pointed out, there are good reasons to fish from
shore......when and where possible.....sometimes.

Generally speaking, hypothermia is not among them. Granted that hypothermia
is a real risk, at least under certain conditions, it tends to be minimal to
virtually nonexistent in many, if not most, fly fishing situations for most
people most of the time. Many of us, including me, dispense with waders
altogether most of the time. Good sense should be your guide.

Wolfgang

Old November 4th, 2005, 05:38 PM
briansfly

Frank Reid wrote:
"Frank Reid" wrote:

Well, don't know about falling over

SPLORK!

It was the goat, damn it!

I know what you're all thinking...........don't anyone sneak up behind
Frank while he's fishing, and yell at him. The poor fella has suffered
enough.

brians

Old November 4th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

Generally speaking, hypothermia is not among them. Granted that
hypothermia is a real risk, at least under certain conditions, it tends to
be minimal to virtually nonexistent in many, if not most, fly fishing
situations for most people most of the time. Many of us, including me,
dispense with waders altogether most of the time. Good sense should be
your guide.

Wolfgang

Another thought comes to mind about bank casting with a fly-rod, when I met
an elder gentleman up at the Trinity who lives in the Douglas City area.
Says he loves to fly-fish but told me he doesn't enjoy the cold, and also
feels he's not strong enough anymore to wade in moving waters. Says he'll
leave that up to the young ones. He fishes with a 12.5 ft.two handed Spey
Rod with 8wt line from the banks. No waders, just high cheap boots. I
watched him easily put out 60 ft.

The first time I cast a two handed Spey Rod, I made a pathetic 40 ft. cast.
Second cast was not much better. My third cast and once I got a feel of
rollcast. From then on I continued to make beautiful 90+ ft rollcast.
Just another method to look into.
-tom

Old November 4th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Lazarus Cooke

One thing I think it's worth adding to this discussion.

Don't try to cast too far.

There's a temptation to try to improve your casting technique, and
fling that fly as far as possible. But for fishing purposes, it doesn't
really matter.

In fact there may be fish around your feet.

On rivers, certainly, there's an area around ten yards away where you
can get a fly to, and control its movements. It'll be a different
distance in different occasions and for different people and gear, but
you need to concentrate on the area where you feel comfortable and in
control. It's hard enough even for us old-timers to stop the dreaded
DRAG on our fly even at our preferred distance. Do like we do, and try
not to add to the problems!

Lazrus

--
Remover the rock from the email address
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:57 PM
detoor

I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

Old November 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Mike Connor

"detoor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

Go here and watch this;
http://www.bartdezwaan.nl/rollcast/rollcasting.htm

TL
MC

Old November 4th, 2005, 11:21 PM
Wolfgang

"detoor" wrote in message
I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

There are a lot of factors that come into play in making a long roll cast.
Skill is important, of course, but so are tools......and how you measure.

If you've got an 8-1/2 foot rod and a 2-1/2 foot arm, that's ten feet right
there. Add ten feet of leader, and you only need to have 20 feet of line
out to make a 40 foot cast.

Obviously, if you're tall....and you lean forward.....and you've got long
arms.....and you've got a long rod.....and you practice.......

Wolfgang

Old November 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM
JR

Mike Connor wrote:
"detoor" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

I must be roll casting wrongly as 30ft would be my limit with the 5wt..
although I usually find that is enough distance anyway as the trout seem to
prefer to be in a channel near the bank rather than in midstream

Go here and watch this;
http://www.bartdezwaan.nl/rollcast/rollcasting.htm

Excellent video, Mike, thanks. The slow motion version is especially
helpful. Position of the hands over the head at the beginning of the
cast, and a brisk (and relatively long!) haul, seem to be important.

That said, I wonder if folks don't often confuse "a 40ft roll cast" with
"roll casting 40ft of line". I could be wrong, but looking at that
video repeatedly and trying to pinpoint the end of the line, it doesn't
seem to me that he has 16m (52ft, or more than 5 rod lengths) of line
out past the rod tip.....

Take into account a rod length of 9ft and leader/tippet length of 9-10
feet, and a real-life 40ft roll cast isn't out of reach of most folks, I
think......

Old November 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM
Mike Connor

"JR" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
SNIP
That said, I wonder if folks don't often confuse "a 40ft roll cast" with
"roll casting 40ft of line". I could be wrong, but looking at that video
repeatedly and trying to pinpoint the end of the line, it doesn't seem to
me that he has 16m (52ft, or more than 5 rod lengths) of line out past the
rod tip.....

Take into account a rod length of 9ft and leader/tippet length of 9-10
feet, and a real-life 40ft roll cast isn't out of reach of most folks, I
think......

It is relatively easy, using the technique shown, to roll cast over 90 feet.
You need the right rod, the right line, and some practice, but not as much
as one might imagine.

Distances in casting examinations, and in competition casting, are measured
from the caster´s toes, to the fly.

TL
MC