waterfloating

Old December 30th, 2007, 03:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

Default waterfloating

On Dec 30, 4:09 am, Dave LaCourse wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 01:22:33 GMT, Ken Fortenberry

wrote:
I just wish I had the T-shirt.

Ya want a "Dumbo" T-shirt? We celebrated the day wayno handed those
out at Penns. Great shirt. Laughed our asses off at you. I am sure
wayno has some left, and i could probably getcha one for a nominal
fee.

Davey

I am sure it was a matter of great hilarity, and I donīt even
begrudge it to those who indulged, but you and Fortenberry need
special editions, boldly emblazoned with the words

I AM A NASTY DUMB ****ER AND BEST AVOIDED

MC
Old December 30th, 2007, 03:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Mike" wrote

I am quite intrigued by the paddles, they donīt look as though they

would give you very much propulsion though. Could you wear them as
well as the normal fins? I am just trying to visualise how they work.

They don't give much propulsion at all

Look at te second photo ... The left boot has the paddle in the back
position, the one it assumes as you push your foot forward, the idea is to
create as little drag as possible .... the right boot has the paddle out as
it is when you pull your leg to the rear .. 'grabbing' a bit of water and
propelling you forward

They work so poorly I only used them a couple times ( years ago ) and never
with any attempt to also use fins

Old December 30th, 2007, 04:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 30, 4:54 am, "Larry L" wrote:
"Mike" wrote

I am quite intrigued by the paddles, they donīt look as though they

would give you very much propulsion though. Could you wear them as

well as the normal fins? I am just trying to visualise how they work.

They don't give much propulsion at all

Look at te second photo ... The left boot has the paddle in the back
position, the one it assumes as you push your foot forward, the idea is to
create as little drag as possible .... the right boot has the paddle out as
it is when you pull your leg to the rear .. 'grabbing' a bit of water and
propelling you forward

They work so poorly I only used them a couple times ( years ago ) and never
with any attempt to also use fins

OK, thanks. I think the principle at least is clear. It occurs to me
that a similar arrangement with two fins mounted on a central hinge,
and as long as from your heel to your calf, a bit like a bellows.
closing when you move your leg forward, and opening flat when you
moved it backwards in a rough "walking motion" would give you a lot
more propulsion. Probably a lot more tiring than even using fins
though.

I once saw something which looked like a pyramid shaped funnel used
for similar purposes, it was strapped to both legs though. Moving the
legs forward simply pushed the cone through the water, moving back
grabbed the water in the cone and gave quite a bit of propulsion, but
it was apparently difficult and quite exhausting to use.

Interesting idea though. Very similar to these, which I just found
while looking for a picture of the water walkers I was about to refer
to http://www.writerscollective.org/wat...terWalkers.htm

Anyway, I once tried to fish using another type of ( home made)
"water walkers", which were basically two expanded polystyrene floats
worn on the feet, but it was a disaster. Even with vanes fitted they
were extremely difficult and tiring to use. Couldnīt find a picture of
them, but there used to be some on the web. Ah, found a video, here
they are ;

http://www.guzer.com/videos/water_walking_boots.php

TL
MC
Old December 30th, 2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 29-Dec-2007, "Opus--Mark H. Bowen" wrote:

Ken Fortenberry

Actually you dumb asshole, I used one at the Danish clave, as anybody
who was there will confirm. I took it along mainly in case somebody
wanted to try it, but I was the only one who used it on that occasion.
Would you like a picture of my boat dumbass?

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/1237/pontje2.jpg

Ken

Nice picture of you and a nice boat

I always wanted one of those as it sure is good for a river and does keep
you higher up than a float tube.
I was going to borrow one from a neighbor and take it to Rock Creek but
last ealry and late spring I was advised not to do because of the rough
water from a late spring melt - and a late snow storm

Then as of July 1 the regs closed fishing from a boat
But I would use it just to move and move camp -
I would fish and wade anyway -tying up the raft.

Anybody have recommendations for these boats or negatives
I am no white water floater
I want a smooth float and I want to keep gear on it for camping and I would
like it all kept dry.
I want it easily manoeverable and probably a smaller version

Thanks
Fred

Old December 30th, 2007, 09:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 30, 4:54 am, "Larry L" wrote:

The other thing I thought I at least ought to mention is the one thing
I found which prevented some problems in the float tubes, ( but was
not much good on the pontoon boat) was to point the fins straight down
when casting. This will at least reduce the swivelling, and combined
with the other tactics should practically prevent it.

It is worthwhile trying the following, and to make sure I had it right
I just went out and tried it again. Sit in a good easily swivelling
swivel chair, with your feet off the ground, and raise one arm fairly
rapidly above your head. nothing happens. Now do the same but move
your arm out to the side. The chair swivels immediately in the
opposite direction. If you move both arms rapidly out to each side at
once, the chair does not move.

As it is quite a while since I last used the tube, and I wanted to get
the "feel" back, so that I could describe it exactly to you, and make
sure I was not giving you any wrong info, I just tried sitting in a
very easily swivelling chair in my back yard, ( feet off the ground)
and doing a 90° change of direction cast. As long as the rod is
directly above me, the chair does not swivel. Once the cast is
completed, it is easy to swivel the chair to the new direction. If one
tries to swivel the chair while casting, the cast fails.

If the rod is tilted away from the body, the chair swivels
immediately. The more it is tilted, the more and faster the chair
swivels. If one also uses full body motion, the chair will swivel very
much indeed, uncontrollably so, ruining the cast completely. Allowing
the chair to swivel like this I could not get more than about fifty
feet, the cast felt nasty, and the line fell in a series of large and
untidy looking coils.

It is still not easy to do a really powerful distance cast from this
position, but it does work. From the grating in the middle, the yard
is just over eighty feet long in both directions, and I hit the wall
at the other end with no trouble at all on the straight casts, but
not even close when the chair swivelled. Also, as the vertical haul
distance is limited, I experimented with tilting the rod to the side
away from my body, and the vertical, and hauling out to the left side,
instead of straight down. With a little practice. ( I only had twenty
casts or so) one can compensate for the rod lean with the haul action,
the chair does not move,and one still attains good distance.

One may still swivel the upper body from the hips when changing
direction on the cast, the chair also does not swivel.

If one allows the whole body to twist, and moves the backside on the
chair, the chair once again swivels.

So, one can prevent the swivelling by avoiding any torque outside the
centre of the boat. If there is no leverage, then the boat will not
swivel.

Lastly, on a couple of the powerful deliveries, the chair rolled back
and inch or two ( It is on rollers) on the final delivery.

This is not a perfect simulation of a float tube of course, but I
think itīs pretty close.

TL
MC
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Mike wrote:

Maybe you would like some pictures of me fishing from various other
boats and float tubes as well? ...

No thanks. A reasonable answer to the original question, as opposed
to bull**** drivel and Googled links, would suffice. And please put
it one post, not an endless succession of replies to your own posts.

what a crock...

anyway mike, i appreciate reading your fishing posts - including the
so-called replies. forget the taunts and please continue posting your
experiences, advice, and opinions. i'll take 30 of your replies (or, as
i see them, continued dialogue) over one of fortenberry's on any fishing
subject any day.

jeff
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

wrote:

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/1237/pontje2.jpg

Ken

Nice picture of you and a nice boat

That's not me, that's His Loony Mikeness. I've never owned or
used a pontoon boat although I was talked into using a float
tube one time on a high mountain lake. A lot of folks like
them but I prefer a canoe, anyplace to which you can transport
one of those contraptions I can carry a canoe.

And I'm much better looking than *that*. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"jeff" wrote in message
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Mike wrote:

Maybe you would like some pictures of me fishing from various other
boats and float tubes as well? ...

No thanks. A reasonable answer to the original question, as opposed
to bull**** drivel and Googled links, would suffice. And please put
it one post, not an endless succession of replies to your own posts.

what a crock...

anyway mike, i appreciate reading your fishing posts - including the
so-called replies. forget the taunts and please continue posting your
experiences, advice, and opinions. i'll take 30 of your replies (or, as i
see them, continued dialogue) over one of fortenberry's on any fishing
subject any day.

jeff

I'll second that thought.

Op

Old December 30th, 2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 30, 2:58 pm, jeff wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Mike wrote:

Maybe you would like some pictures of me fishing from various other
boats and float tubes as well? ...

No thanks. A reasonable answer to the original question, as opposed
to bull**** drivel and Googled links, would suffice. And please put
it one post, not an endless succession of replies to your own posts.

what a crock...

anyway mike, i appreciate reading your fishing posts - including the
so-called replies. forget the taunts and please continue posting your
experiences, advice, and opinions. i'll take 30 of your replies (or, as
i see them, continued dialogue) over one of fortenberry's on any fishing
subject any day.

jeff

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence, it is much
appreciated. In the past I made the very serious mistake of getting
upset at the taunts etc, but I have come to realise that they are
basically meaningless rubbish.

TL
MC