Dropshot hook help

Old July 24th, 2011, 02:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Jack

Default Dropshot hook help

Please recommend the hook you use for dropshotting.
Due to the water temp in Tn., I am fishing deeper and I am having
difficulty selecting a suitable hook. I have tried the stand-off
hooks. but the shank is too short for me.
Thanks in advance.
Old July 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve W.[_2_]

Jack wrote:
Please recommend the hook you use for dropshotting.
Due to the water temp in Tn., I am fishing deeper and I am having
difficulty selecting a suitable hook. I have tried the stand-off
hooks. but the shank is too short for me.
Thanks in advance.

I have used just about everything from a standard octopus hook up to
extended shank aberdeen styles. All depends on the bait and size of fish
your after.

--
Steve W.
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

On 7/24/2011 3:59 AM, Steve W. wrote:
Jack wrote:
Please recommend the hook you use for dropshotting.
Due to the water temp in Tn., I am fishing deeper and I am having
difficulty selecting a suitable hook. I have tried the stand-off
hooks. but the shank is too short for me.
Thanks in advance.

I have used just about everything from a standard octopus hook up to
extended shank aberdeen styles. All depends on the bait and size of fish
your after.

Here is the only hook "DESIGNED" for drop shotting only, It is even
taught in the B.A.S.S. collage as the "BEST ever" drop shot hook, you
need to at least give them a try, and when you do, I make a nickle :-)

http://ttiblakemore.com/shop/index.p...1598bd80ae0f46

Two things with this hook,, one you can use any knot and it will always
stick straight out "ALWAYS", and 2. when you snap the line taught, it
kicks the bait, giving it much more action than any other hook

Not this much though, and this uses "any hook"

http://secretweaponlures.com/products/spectastic.htm

Once you use that rig you will never want to drop shot without it

--
Secret Weapon Recoil Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe[_4_]

"Jack" wrote in message
Please recommend the hook you use for dropshotting.
Due to the water temp in Tn., I am fishing deeper and I am having
difficulty selecting a suitable hook. I have tried the stand-off
hooks. but the shank is too short for me.
Thanks in advance.

I have had pretty good luck using a light wire worm hook for drop shotting.
I just straight Texas rig the worm on the hook. An unsalted plastic is
excellent for this, as most plastics are slightly buoyant. A Trilene
(improved clinch) knot grips the hook more firmly than a Palomar allowing
you to stand the hook out or even up from the line, and and the tag end
hangs down nicely. Its one of the few things I still use a Trilene knot
for. I do not usually fish dropshot exposed point as I tend to dropshot in
and around submerged cover. I've only found one rod I really like for this
presentation. A med/light extra fast tournament series (blue rods) from St
Croix. It is not cheap. I've got several rods from other MFGs (Lamiglas,
G-Loomis, Powell), and the action just isn't as fast. The Powell is
closest, but it costs almost as much as the St Croix.

I do drop shot exposed on a light power mod to slow rod for panfish
sometimes.