What It Takes to be a Successful River Angler

Old June 15th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Default What It Takes to be a Successful River Angler

Ed Harp contributed an article to the USA Bassin' June 2004 newsletter on
what makes an Ohio River angler successful. It has a number of tips for
those of us who fish other rivers as well: http://usabassin.com/

I compile that newsletter each month and so was able to illustrate it with a
photo of the smallmouth I caught fishing with Ronnie Garrison on the TN
River a few weeks back.

Ed Harp is the author of _A Reference Manual For The Ohio River_ , a CD that
contains US Army Corps of Engineer Charts, pool notes and tips from local
experts, articles, and photographs.

--
Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Joe Haubenreich

Pitiful... I guess this is what I'll have to get used to as I drift into my
twilight years.... sitting in my corner mumbling to myself.... Oh well,
since no one else will respond...

Hey, Joe, that was a good article! Since you liked that tips and techniques
article, I bet you'll really like this one -- one of the best introductions
and guides to fluke fishing I've ever read. Written by a buddy of ours, bass
guide Rick McFerrin, this article comes just in time for the early summer
fluke-fest. Spinnerbaits can still fill a limit on Priest, but flukes are
rockin' right now, producing 40-bass days on Old Hickory. Read Rick's
article, " Fishing A Fluke: Tips For The Beginner." at
http://tennesseebassguides.com. When you open the Web page, scroll down
about 2/3 of the way.

Well, nice talking to you, Joe. Don't work too hard.

Joe
____________________
"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in
message ...

Old June 17th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Andrew Kidd

"Joe Haubenreich" rofbmail (at) secretweaponlures (dot) com wrote in
message ...
Pitiful... I guess this is what I'll have to get used to as I drift into

my
twilight years.... sitting in my corner mumbling to myself.... Oh well,
since no one else will respond...

:-) I thought I was the only one that made posts tha got no reply.... As
long as you don't drool while you're mumbling, you won't be too much
different from the rest of us shuffling and mumbling our way into the
twilight years...

As for the article, I snuck a few minutes to read it. It's actually a
pretty good article, simple enough to get quickly to the point. I have
found many of the same things to be true in some of the rivers and creeks I
fish, although none are nearly as large as the Ohio. I have previously read
a book called Fishing the Ohio River, by Mark Hicks, who is a regular
contributor to Bassmaster. Very similar information. The only point I
would disagree with is the value of a crankbait on a river. Not that he
particularly discourages them, but he places a lot of emphasis on the soft
plastics (which work well). I know through experience you can catch bass on
a crankbait in very shallow water in rivers and creeks. I actually prefer
them for pitching to wood when the opportunity presents itself...

I haven't had time to review the article Joe Too submitted, but if I
have time, I might bounce through it!

:-)

Have a good one Joe...........and why not consider a day off to go fishing?
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!

Old June 17th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Bob Rickard

Andrew said:"...........and why not consider a day off to go fishing?"

Roger that! He's redlining; working way too damn hard right now.
--
Bob Rickard
(AKA Dr. Spinnerbait)

Old June 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
alwaysfishking

Good article on the Flukes, never really thought of wacky rigging them, at
least not in this part of the woods. Too many snags, but I will try it out
in open water
m...

Old June 19th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Jerry Barton \(NervisRek\)

Well I read Rick's article, and I'm putting his techniques to trial
tomorrow. I've got a club tourney on a lake that's just screams Fluke.