Best rod/line for ....

Old December 28th, 2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Best rod/line for ....

For several years I've been trying to improve my performance in one specific
fishing situation. I'm hoping to make this improvement via buying new
stuff as the only other apparent choice would be increased skill ... i.e.
not likely to happen

The Scene: You are sitting in a boat/ kickboat/ float tube and have just
laid out a long ( for me this is about 70 feet or maybe a bit more ... you
can visualize 90 to 110 to suit your skills ) to the "12 O'Clock position
.... floating line, #16 dry fly. A fish starts rising, quickly moving
through your area, at the 3 O'Clock or 9 O'Clock position, again a long cast
away. You need to get your line in the air, it's direction changed, and
a reasonably gentle presentation ( stillwater, very flat, spooky fish ) made
.... and ASAP.

The Question for those of you that keep up with equipment technology: At
this point in time, what specific combination of rod/ line is available that
YOU feel will do this one thing ... pick up a long line and represent it in
a new direction at a distance .... best ( money no object :-) ...or best
( money must be considered as you only do this particular fishing 3 or 4
days/ year )

Rod weight? I'm flexible, but fly size will be #14 to #18, conditions calm
to light breeze, stillwater and spooky fish ... long casts ( for me ) a must

Old December 28th, 2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Larry L wrote:
For several years I've been trying to improve my performance in one specific
fishing situation. I'm hoping to make this improvement via buying new
stuff as the only other apparent choice would be increased skill ... i.e.
not likely to happen

The Scene: You are sitting in a boat/ kickboat/ float tube and have just
laid out a long ( for me this is about 70 feet or maybe a bit more ... you
can visualize 90 to 110 to suit your skills ) to the "12 O'Clock position
... floating line, #16 dry fly. A fish starts rising, quickly moving
through your area, at the 3 O'Clock or 9 O'Clock position, again a long cast
away. You need to get your line in the air, it's direction changed, and
a reasonably gentle presentation ( stillwater, very flat, spooky fish ) made
... and ASAP.

That's a tough situation. I'd strip in as fast as possible until I have
maybe 30 or 40 feet of line out, pick up the line and make some false
casts to dry the fly and make double hauls to get the line out (false
casting AWAY from the fish), and then present it as delicately as I
could, aiming right at the last rise form.

The tackle is irrelevant.

Old December 28th, 2007, 02:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rw" wrote

--

Hebgen gulpers is the situation and it can be very tough, as tough as any
fishing I do. On some days, these big fish are "easy" but most days they

I do what you suggest but they travel through your area fast and you want to
get as many tries to match their rise rhythm / next rise spot as possible as
they slice across your circle of possibilities.

I know that casting skill is the real key, but I suk and am thinking that,
maybe, one of the superfast rods and long taper Weight forward lines might
make it easier ... or maybe, a fast rod and a DT line two sizes "too small"
.... or, maybe, some other magic bullet to make up for the sucking sounds my
casts always make.

Old December 28th, 2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Larry L wrote:

I do what you suggest but they travel through your area fast and you want to
get as many tries to match their rise rhythm / next rise spot as possible as
they slice across your circle of possibilities.

This is not the solution you asked for (the technological one),
but it's motivated by my own conviction that at this stage in my
life I would never consider buying more gear to meet a situation
I only encountered "3 to 4 days / year."

Me, I'd just, in my mind, decrease the radius of my "circle of
possibilities." Fish 40 feet away, all right (hell, I'm sitting
in a kickboat for God's sake....). Fish 70 feet away might as
well be in Idaho for all I care. If nothing is rising in, or
moving toward my small world, I sit and watch the larger one....

- JR
Old December 28th, 2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JR" wrote

Me, I'd just, in my mind, decrease the radius of my "circle of
possibilities." Fish 40 feet away, all right (hell, I'm sitting in a
kickboat for God's sake....). Fish 70 feet away might as well be in Idaho
for all I care. If nothing is rising in, or moving toward my small world,
I sit and watch the larger one....

That, sir, is wonderful advice .... I only wish that I had the qualities
required to follow it.

When I was a avid waterfowler, my patience was 'legendary' in my local
circles and I'd pass on possible shot after possible shot until I worked Mr
Duck or Goose into the perfect place. I have friends that still tell
stories about nearly going insane as I, as 'blind boss', kept demanding in
a whisper between grunts into a call, "Stay down, not yet, stay DOWN"

I mention this because it strikes me as an odd quirt of this human's mind.

You see, I was MUCH more into measuring success in numbers when hunting and
was MUCH more competitve about it than I am about fishing. But, I find it
very difficult to not try a 'wing and a prayer" long shot cast on Hebgen.
Logic ( if that applied in any way to human behavior ) would make it seem
I'd be less "needy" to try casts beyond my ability, since my desire to catch
isn't nearly as intense as my hunting desire of the past, but the opposite
seems to be true.

No excuse, but part of the problem is that 75 feet looks like 40 feet when
you're a mile from shore and that nose sipping spinners is clearly attached
to a 20++ inch fish G. It's real common for me to wind up, duck as the
tangled mess of line flutters by my head, and then wonder, "Why the **** did
I even try?"

Old December 28th, 2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JR" wrote

I only encountered "3 to 4 days / year."

oh, yeah

this has all come up as my bride and I discuss the summer to come. we were
married on August 14th and I've been coming home to be with her for a couple
weeks at that time .. this year she may come to visit me in YNP, instead
.... thus much more of gulper time available to me

I agree with both you and rw that tackle isn't my problem ... instead, it's
just that ugly old mirror, again

but then, I bet if I could cast 97 feet the damn fish would cruise by at 101

Old December 28th, 2007, 07:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Knight

"Larry L" wrote in message

The Question for those of you that keep up with equipment technology: At
this point in time, what specific combination of rod/ line is available
that YOU feel will do this one thing ... pick up a long line and represent
it in a new direction at a distance .... best ( money no object :-)
...or best ( money must be considered as you only do this particular
fishing 3 or 4 days/ year )

Winston 91/2' BIIx 5wt and the SA Sharkskin line.

Old December 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

Larry L wrote:
"rw" wrote

[...]

A long rod is advantageous in a kickboat, and especially in a float tube
when you're sitting low in the water. I think a fast rod helps, too,
because it allows you to get line out faster. Forget about the spey-rod,
snake-roll advice. :-)

I love casting for gulpers on stillwater. One of my most memorable
outings was when I was fishing with Willi on Quake Lake, in Warren's
"Gink Keeps it Up" drift boat (ex George's boat). It was a cloudy and
slightly rainy day and the Callibaetis came off. As I recall, I caught
three good-sized rainbows, which we kept and ate. Maybe it was two.
Willi will catch me on this. :-)

I missed a couple with too-soon strikes.

Quake Lake during a Callibaetis hatch is a good place to be. The dead
trees are surreal. I've never fished Hebgen. It seems too large and
intimidating.

Bruce and Willi and I (and someone else, can't recall who, but I think
Bevin?) went out the next day and did nada. It was a sunny, bluebird day
-- stinks for stillwater fishing.

Stillwater fishing with dries is something when the fish are rising.
They seem to be always just out of reach, or they rise right next to the
boat when you have 70' of line out. That turns into a comic circus.

When you see two rise forms in sequence it's tempting to cast to where
you extrapolate the fish will be next. This is, I believe, a mistake.
Fish feeding on the surface of stillwater move randomly. I cast directly
to the last rise form. If that doesn't get a take I start searching
around it.

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
W. D. Grey

In article ,
Larry L writes

I know that casting skill is the real key, but I suk and am thinking that,
maybe, one of the superfast rods and long taper Weight forward lines might
make it easier ... or maybe, a fast rod and a DT line two sizes "too small"
... or, maybe, some other magic bullet to make up for the sucking sounds my
casts always make.

Right - casting skills DO count. I wouldn't discount a DT line and
would advocate a roll cast to aerialize you line prior to some false
casting. As for presentation, the WF won't do that bit too well as it is
intended to aid the long caster get his line way out.

We tend to use heavier tackle in the UK and I would probably use
something like a 9ft 6ins rod wt 6/8 or even 7/9 for such situations.
--
Bill Grey

Old December 28th, 2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On Dec 28, 1:37 am, "Larry L" wrote:

The Question for those of you that keep up with equipment technology: At
this point in time, what specific combination of rod/ line is available that
YOU feel will do this one thing ... pick up a long line and represent it in
a new direction at a distance .... best ( money no object :-) ...or best
( money must be considered as you only do this particular fishing 3 or 4
days/ year )

Rod weight? I'm flexible, but fly size will be #14 to #18, conditions calm
to light breeze, stillwater and spooky fish ... long casts ( for me ) a must

A 9´ TCR #5 http://www.sageflyfish.com/default.asp?p=24

with a #6 XXD line http://www.sexyloops.com/tackle/xxd.shtml

Lift the line into the back cast with a powerful haul, point the rod
where you want the fly to go, and complete the forward cast and haul.
No false casting. Fishing small dry flies at distances greater than
50 feet is liable to be difficult anyway, even if you get the casting
right.

Although the equipment mentioned will do the job for you, you still
need the skill to use it. It is not cheap either. There may be cheaper
alternatives of course, but I don´t know of any which would be easily
available.

Of course you can use the rod and line for other things as well. Just
to use for a couple of days a year, it is not worth investing that
amount of money in it.

TL
MC