What must I do?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Lu Powell[_2_]

Default What must I do?

I live on a large retaining pond that has some monster bass. I often catch
small bream and put them out on a large hook to catch a big bass. Most of
the time, I will get a big bass to hit, and occasionally will get it to the
bank. Far too many times, I lose the bait and bass before I can get it in.
What's the best hook and hooking method that will improve my chances?

Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"Lu Powell" wrote in message
I live on a large retaining pond that has some monster bass. I often catch
small bream and put them out on a large hook to catch a big bass. Most of
the time, I will get a big bass to hit, and occasionally will get it to the
bank. Far too many times, I lose the bait and bass before I can get it in.
What's the best hook and hooking method that will improve my chances?

Probably need a bigger hook. If you are C&R with big bream for bait I
suggest a big circle hook (maybe 6/0 or 7/0) and let the bass take it for a
long time, then jsut reel them in without setting the hook. If you are
quick on the hook set, then probably a big J-hook or big bait holder hook.
Problem with the latter is if the fish swallows your bait you can do him a
lot of injury making survivability of C&R or CPR fish noticabley lower.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old July 24th, 2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

Bob La Londe wrote:
"Lu Powell" wrote in message
[...]

Yep that is the answer but remember don't "set" the hooks when using a
circle hook, just let the line tighten up and reel the bass in, that is
the way a circle hook is designed to set, the reason I am telling you
"again" is you will forget, on the first big one, and try to cross his
eyes, and not catch the fish

--
Secret Weapon Recoil Rig,
Fishing lure remote control