On the subject of backpacking...

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default On the subject of backpacking...

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

"William Claspy" wrote in message

One word, brother:

Coffee.

Bill

Ice-coffee, Bill.
-tom

Looking back up the thread, one is tempted to suppose that iced drinks
aren't exactly the best choice for those occasions when you want to get a
fire built in a hurry. Even on the most benign winter day in the woods up
here in Curdistan it's going to be a tough sell.

Wolfgang

Old February 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 2/10/06 10:22 AM, in article , "Tom
Nakashima" wrote:

"William Claspy" wrote in message
On 2/10/06 9:41 AM, in article , "Tom
Nakashima" wrote:

My current stove, the MSR dragonfly, is a lot more expensive but it
packs
up into a pretty small package. Even with a small fuel bottle it isn't
very large or heavy.......certainly doable for a day trip on a stream.
What makes it even more appealing for me is the very precise control
over
the flame......it's the first stove I've owned that will do both jet
blast and a low simmer. If you aren't familiar with this one, it's
worth
checking out.

Do you really need a stove?
On short trips I don't even bother to pack a stove now with the packaged
tuna and the many beef jerky brands. Three days or less out in the
wilderness I won't pack a stove.
-tom

One word, brother:

Coffee.

Bill

Ice-coffee, Bill.
-tom

Hoooo-eeeee. Tom, your style of hiking impresses the hell out of me, and
your ultra-light packing posts of last year really inspired me, and sure
enough I had my pack weight down to right around 20 pounds. But you can bet
your bottom dollar that the stove and doubled zip lock of Sumatran was in
there.

I mean, some things make the experience...well, what the experience is. For
each of us. For me, one of those things is the steaming mug first thing in
the morning. Even if I'm just doing an overnighter. Dan doesn't do
campfires. I like to have at least one on a trip. Something primal about
being out there, crouching before a little blaze.

Anyhow, carry on. Each in his own way. :-)

Bill

Old February 10th, 2006, 04:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:

Looking back up the thread, one is tempted to suppose that iced drinks
aren't exactly the best choice for those occasions when you want to get a
fire built in a hurry. Even on the most benign winter day in the woods up
here in Curdistan it's going to be a tough sell.

At least you shouldn't have any problem finding ice for your coffee.

Chuck Vance (look on the bright side)
Old February 10th, 2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Nakashima" wrote:

Hoooo-eeeee. Tom, your style of hiking impresses the hell out of me, and
your ultra-light packing posts of last year really inspired me, and sure
enough I had my pack weight down to right around 20 pounds. But you can
bet
your bottom dollar that the stove and doubled zip lock of Sumatran was in
there.

I mean, some things make the experience...well, what the experience is.
For
each of us. For me, one of those things is the steaming mug first thing
in
the morning. Even if I'm just doing an overnighter. Dan doesn't do
campfires. I like to have at least one on a trip. Something primal about
being out there, crouching before a little blaze.

Anyhow, carry on. Each in his own way. :-)

Bill

Bill,
once on a backpack trip with a few friends, I awoke to a loud buzzing noise
out in the middle of nowhere. I got out of my Bivy adjusted my eyes only to
find this guy shaving with a battery powered electric shaver.
Now when I backpack I love to get as far away from society as possible.
-tom

Old February 10th, 2006, 04:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Conan The Librarian" wrote in message
Wolfgang wrote:

Looking back up the thread, one is tempted to suppose that iced drinks
aren't exactly the best choice for those occasions when you want to get a
fire built in a hurry. Even on the most benign winter day in the woods
up here in Curdistan it's going to be a tough sell.

At least you shouldn't have any problem finding ice for your coffee.

Chuck Vance (look on the bright side)

Thought ice-coffee originated on Wilshire Boulevard in Los Angeles, CA
-tom

Old February 10th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wolfgang" wrote in message

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

"William Claspy" wrote in message

One word, brother:

Coffee.

Bill

Ice-coffee, Bill.
-tom

Looking back up the thread, one is tempted to suppose that iced drinks
aren't exactly the best choice for those occasions when you want to get a
fire built in a hurry. Even on the most benign winter day in the woods up
here in Curdistan it's going to be a tough sell.

Wolfgang

Wolf, I see you as one of those double ice-cappuccino latte's with a twist
of lemon guy.
-tom

Old February 10th, 2006, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Tom Nakashima" wrote in message

Wolf, I see you as one of those double ice-cappuccino latte's with a twist
of lemon guy.

The things I learn about me in this place are a never ending source of
facination.

Wolfgang
who is not at all sure that he knows what "double ice-cappuccino latte's
with a twist of lemon" means.

Old February 10th, 2006, 05:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:

who is not at all sure that he knows what "double ice-cappuccino latte's
with a twist of lemon" means.

It's just a fancy way of saying, "five dollars, please".

Chuck Vance (Mr. Helpful)

Old February 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:

who is not at all sure that he knows what "double ice-cappuccino latte's
with a twist of lemon" means.

It's just a fancy way of saying, "five dollars, please".

Chuck Vance (Mr. Helpful)

The makings of a "double ice-cappuccino latte" minus the twist of
lemon...$1.00 extra:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D% 26sa%3DG

I never had one either, but it looks tempting.
-tom

Old February 10th, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default On the subject of backpacking...waterproof matches

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:11:33 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

Something for Frank: exploding birthday candles
-tom

Frank doesn't need any explosions. With all those candle to light, it
is already a conflagration.

When are you going to Alaska, Tom?