Shattered confidence

Old April 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

Default Shattered confidence

It just dawned on me. The movie "A River Runs Through It," which
I did like a lot, had footage for the two McLean brothers fishing
with Bunyan Bugs--in the 1920s, not far from their Model T Fords.

But the fly was invented by Norman Means in 1945:
http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...ans/index.html

and

http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesR/rl-bunyanbug.htm

Old April 24th, 2007, 02:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Ken Fortenberry

salmobytes wrote:
It just dawned on me. The movie "A River Runs Through It," which
I did like a lot, had footage for the two McLean brothers fishing
with Bunyan Bugs--in the 1920s, not far from their Model T Fords.

But the fly was invented by Norman Means in 1945:

It wouldn't be the first time that a fly was "invented" more
than once over the years.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old April 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

But the fly was invented by Norman Means in 1945:http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...ly-Tiers/Norma...

and

http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesR/rl-bunyanbug.htm

uh oh;
The above page says the fly in the photo was *tied* in 1945, but the
pattern
was indeed invented (by Norman Means) in the 1020s

......some (of my) observations aren't worth the bytes they're written
on.

Old April 24th, 2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"salmobytes" wrote in message
oups.com...
but the
pattern
was indeed invented (by Norman Means) in the 1020s

Good golly!!! Predates Dame Juliana by quite a few years!g.
Tom
......who needs to go fishing, and thus, is heading to Penn's
Creek, bug laboratory extraordinaire, in the wee hours of tomorrow morning!

Old April 28th, 2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

On Apr 25, 2:34 am, salmobytes wrote:
On Apr 24, 6:54 am, salmobytes wrote:

It just dawned on me. The movie "A River Runs Through It," which
I did like a lot, had footage for the two McLean brothers fishing
with Bunyan Bugs--in the 1920s, not far from their Model T Fords.

An Aus. author confused "tied" for "tried" in his reading research on
Australia's
first patterns. His conclusions were a little awry after that.

Ken's comment on re-invention is interesting. I've just been looking
over a 1932 tome
"Fly Dressing" by Bernard. It covers English and US patterns. Looking
at the tying instructions for a variety of "Smut" patterns in there,
I'd be happy to claim flys as effective as and very similar to the
Brassie, and things like the Frostbite patterns existed back in the
1920s.

Steve

Old April 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

On Apr 28, 8:56 pm, Stephen Welsh wrote:
[...]

man....imagine fishing in the '20s. Even without all the high tech
gear of today, the FISH back then, and the PLACES to find them....

I read online today that even as recently as the 1970s, you could
still pull a 30 pound salmon out of some Maine rivers. IIRC, the
article said the total caught last year was only something like 45,
and the eight most endangered rivers only had 80 wild salmon in them,
total.

--riverman