Scud color and shape

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeffc[_2_]

Default Scud color and shape

I've seen many scuds on curved hooks. I've read straight hook scuds are
best because supposedly that's how they look when in free water. True?

I've seen many gray/olive scuds. I've seen many flies in pink. I've read
when they die they pick up this hue (makes sense.) True?

Old May 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
sandy

jeffc wrote:
I've seen many scuds on curved hooks. I've read straight hook scuds are
best because supposedly that's how they look when in free water. True?

I've seen many gray/olive scuds. I've seen many flies in pink. I've read
when they die they pick up this hue (makes sense.) True?

This isn't the scud you had in mind. But it is a scud:

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...rnes-Scud.html
Old May 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

On May 11, 12:46 pm, "jeffc" wrote:
I've seen many scuds on curved hooks. I've read straight hook scuds are
best because supposedly that's how they look when in free water. True?

I've seen many gray/olive scuds. I've seen many flies in pink. I've read
when they die they pick up this hue (makes sense.) True?

Can't say as I've come across many dead'uns but the rest is (straight
shank etc)
is pretty much spot on.

Steve

Old May 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Scott Seidman

"jeffc" wrote in
:

I've seen many scuds on curved hooks. I've read straight hook scuds
are best because supposedly that's how they look when in free water.
True?

I've seen many gray/olive scuds. I've seen many flies in pink. I've
read when they die they pick up this hue (makes sense.) True?

I think they might be pink upon a molt, meaning a pink scud is the soft
shelled crab of the scud world. Yum Yum.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
sandy

Scott Seidman wrote:

I think they might be pink upon a molt, meaning a pink scud is the soft
shelled crab of the scud world. Yum Yum.

Here's a pink one, tied by Al Troth:

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...Horn-Scud.html
Old May 31st, 2007, 06:40 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
O C Stomias

Scuds do 'straighten' out to some extent while actively swimming, but even
while swimming retain a slightly curved profile. Scuds at
rest/drifting/dead, exhibit a more tightly curved profile -- to an even
greater extent than your typical scud hook.

I tie all my scuds on scud hooks (e.g. TMC 2487), but I don't think it
matters all that much.

As to color, the color of the scud depends on what it's been feeding on.
Olive/Gray/Tan are typical (Tan being my favorite in bright conditions and
gray in overcast). When scuds die, their shells turn orange like other
crustaceans -- lobsters, crayfish, etc.

Why pink imitations work, is anyone's guess, but they do work. Scuds carry
pinkish eggs when pregnant., but perhaps it's just easier for the fish to
see.

Maybe it just works because pink "looks tasty".

O C

Old June 1st, 2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeffc[_2_]

"O C Stomias" wrote in message
Scuds do 'straighten' out to some extent while actively swimming, but even
while swimming retain a slightly curved profile. Scuds at
rest/drifting/dead, exhibit a more tightly curved profile -- to an even
greater extent than your typical scud hook.

So straight hooks for "natural" colors, curved hooks for dead/orange?

Why pink imitations work, is anyone's guess, but they do work. Scuds
carry pinkish eggs when pregnant., but perhaps it's just easier for the
fish to see.

Probably because it looks like an extreme orange to fish.