Tying for large shows

Old September 1st, 2007, 04:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

Default Tying for large shows

First of all, my thanks to Tom Littleton.
Last weekend, the Cornhusker Fly Fishers had a table in the Nebraska
Game and Parks Aquarium building at the Nebraska State Fair. On
Saturday, I tied from 9-4 straight, showing folks the art of tying
flies.
We worked it out this way. One person would tie more intricate flies
and take breaks by doing casting demos. I, on the other hand, was the
pitch man, tying simple flies.
For a two person table at a show like this, it worked out great. I
tied Tom Littleton's Coyote Ugly, put them in little condiment cups
with lids. On the lid, we stapled on of our club's business cards.
We'd tie and then hand the fly to the parent of the kid that was
watching. We're already inudated with call backs.
The Coyote Ugly is a perfect fly for these shows. You have just a few
minutes to talk to the folks as they move through. One guy said that
tying flies took too long. I asked him to time me and tied one in 3
minutes, 10 seconds (with dropping my scissors twice and messing up
the snowshoe). The whole time, I kept the patter up. I gained his
interest. He's now one of the call backs.
If your club ends up at a venue with a bunch of folks (we had over
20,000 stream by us in those two days), consider this type of set
up.
Frank Reid

Old September 1st, 2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike

Sure Frank tell everyone in the mid-west about the secret
fly.........Next thing ya know you will be on a seminar in the U.K.
and someone will say you tie flies and there y go tieing the secret
fly and then the whole world will know.......Does Tom get royalties
for this.........Hows the house comming along.......ready for a house
warming yet............

Old September 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

"Mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
........Does Tom get royalties
for this?

my agency will be in touch with Mr. Reid shortly....
Tom

Old September 1st, 2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Stephen Welsh

On Sep 1, 1:16 pm, Frank Reid wrote:
First of all, my thanks to Tom Littleton.
Last weekend, the Cornhusker Fly Fishers had a table i...
One person would tie more intricate flies
and take breaks by doing casting demos. I, on the other hand, was the
pitch man, tying simple flies.
... put them in little condiment cups
with lids. On the lid, we stapled on of our club's business cards.

Great idea Frank.

Now to find someone who can cast,

Steve (also a pitch man)