Bass Boat vs Walleye Boat

Old December 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
jshock

Default Bass Boat vs Walleye Boat

What is the difference between a bass boat and a walleye boat?
Old December 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Rodney Long

jshock wrote:
What is the difference between a bass boat and a walleye boat?

about 20,000 dollars

--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan[_3_]

jshock wrote:
What is the difference between a bass boat and a walleye boat?

A walleye boat tends to have more freeboard and a bit more deadrise.

Dan
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Dan[_3_]

Rodney Long wrote:
jshock wrote:
What is the difference between a bass boat and a walleye boat?

about 20,000 dollars

Hardly. Compare the Ranger 620VS and the 520VX. They are about the
same and both huge bucks.

Dan
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
gwilber

On Dec 18, 1:53 pm, jshock wrote:
What is the difference between a bass boat and a walleye boat?

I have owned both a Ranger walleye boat and now a bass boat. A
walleye boat has a deeper V, sits higher in the water and handles
rough water better than a bass boat. Walleye boats tend to have more
open space inside and less compartment area. Also bass boats have a
large back platform to stand on. Some walleye boats have a removable
back platform but it is usually small in comparison to a bass boat.
Walleye boats tend to be set up for trolling and for the fisherman to
be able to move around to handle the trolling rods. Bass boats sit
shallower and allow the fisherman to be able to see down into the
water better. Bass boats are also much faster as there is less hull so
they weigh less.Bass boats will also go shallower so if you fish
shallow weed flats or pad fields a bass boat would be better. So it
depends on what you are fishing. If you are on big lakes like Erie a
walleye boat would probably be better. I went to the bass masters
classic in Chicago years ago and most of the bass boats couldn't go
out on Lake Michigan because it was too rough. Walleye guys wouldn't
have thought twice about going out there because that is just normal
water for them. If you fish in-land lakes that don't get that rough a
bass boat might be better.
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
jshock

gwilber: Thanks for the straight dope. I live in Wisconsin near Lake
Winnebago -- a large, shallow inland lake that gets pretty choppy. I
definitely need a deep hull than a bass boat.

I guess they're called Walleye boats because walleye tend to hang out
in deeper water, which suggests bigger lakes susceptible to heavier
chop.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
gwilber

On Dec 19, 10:52 am, jshock wrote:
gwilber: Thanks for the straight dope. I live in Wisconsin near Lake
Winnebago -- a large, shallow inland lake that gets pretty choppy. I
definitely need a deep hull than a bass boat.

I guess they're called Walleye boats because walleye tend to hang out
in deeper water, which suggests bigger lakes susceptible to heavier
chop.

I live by Bonduel and work in Appleton. Chris Rennert who is on here
quite a bit fishes Winnebago for smallmouths. Good luck on your boat
search.
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Bob La Londe

"gwilber" wrote in message
On Dec 19, 10:52 am, jshock wrote:
gwilber: Thanks for the straight dope. I live in Wisconsin near Lake
Winnebago -- a large, shallow inland lake that gets pretty choppy. I
definitely need a deep hull than a bass boat.

I guess they're called Walleye boats because walleye tend to hang out
in deeper water, which suggests bigger lakes susceptible to heavier
chop.

I live by Bonduel and work in Appleton. Chris Rennert who is on here
quite a bit fishes Winnebago for smallmouths. Good luck on your boat
search.

Some bass boats will handle chop fairly well. I can run 3-4 footers at
60MPH with my Bass Cat. Its a hard ride, but safe and controllable. The
older Champions were a really good ride in Chop. I hear the newer hulls not
so much.

I suppose if one searched around there may be others. For big money you can
run a FastCat I suppose, and My Baker Custom (tunnel) handled chop about as
good as anything, and it set really low to the water when fishing.

Amyway, in general a deep V sportfishing boat or a "walleye boat" will
handle the rough stuff better and will handle bigger rough stuff. But it
will be nowhere near as fast as a pad bottom bass boat of similar length and
weight with a comporable outboard.

Might also consider a "bay boat." Its a really nice compromise between deep
V and top speed. They tend to be sold a little bigger than bass boats on
average so top speeds will be a little less than you might think, but not
pad, and they are designed for casual ocean running and out running a storm
to get to harbor safely. They typically are pretty well priced too from
what I have seen for a good size boat.

Old December 23rd, 2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Graden L Johnson Jr

Jshock, I have been fishing Lake Erie all my life and I am 56 years old. I
remember when walleyes were practically non-existent in Lake Erie. But
anyway, a walleye boat has more freeboard than most boats, has a wider beam
and is a 'deep V' or a 'modified deep V' hull.
Livewells are probly less than on Bass boats, but Bass boats ride on top of
the water, like a john-boat. Walleye boats are rough-water boats cuz that's
when walleyes usually tend to bite, is when the weather gets nasty. Large
coolers are the norm on walleye boats cuz the fish are bigger and the catch
is larger. Wallaye boats usually have plenty of power, too. A lot of them
are I/O's, but I prefer outboards cuz they kick up the power faster, but
each to his own. walleye boats usually have more fishing room and some
are open bow boats...but the difference is mainly the hull design and the
freeboard...I would say that just about any rough-water boat could be a
walleye boat as long as it has good power.
HTH.......Major Magnetic