Had To Come Back To Georgia And Find My Luck

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Had To Come Back To Georgia And Find My Luck

Sunday September 7 - Day 234 - Seven days missed

9/7/08 - West Point Lake

Sunny and very hot, very little breeze. Water temps 81 - 83

Flint River Bass Club tournament - 6:30 AM - 2:30 PM

I left Rhinelander, WI at 9:30 Saturday morning with misty rain and 53
degrees. After 19 hours and 1145 miles I pulled into the Glass Bridge
Ramp, crawled in the back of the Suburban and slept for an hour. A
club member woke me up at about 5:50 and I got out, took the cover off
the boat and tried to get ready to fish. Glad I had stopped at a gas
station and filled my thermos!

Jordan and I ran down to some riprap I like and started throwing
spinner baits - it was still a little dark for top water for me. After
a pass I picked up my popper and after a few casts something blew up
on it - I missed the fish but it left a six pound hole in the water. A
few casts later I missed another one - guess I was just too groggy to
fish.

After about three hours working points I hit a hump and got a bite on
a jig head worm. Landed a solid keeper spot - at least I would not
zero. Jordan had caught one on a Texas rig so we both would weigh in.

Started hitting more humps and points with no bites. Very hot. Ran
back in a creek where a roadbed crosses and has some brush - nothing.
Just before leaving I worked my jig head up the ledge where they blew
out the bridge and paused it on the lip and a 13 inch spot grabbed it.
Two in the boat.

We hit several more spots, including a bridge. Felt good in the shade.
While fishing under there I thought about at nearby point with some
rocks and brush and decided to hit it with about 1.5 hours left to
fish. As we worked around it I threw the jig head out in about 14 feet
of water on some rocks and got a good spot - weighed 2.83 pounds.

A few minutes later I got a hit in the brush pile and landed another
keeper spot. We worked that area until time to go in but did not get
bit again.

At weigh-in I was shocked to win with four at 6.42 pounds and my 2.83
pound spot was big fish. Tough day! Second was a limit weighing 6.04,
third was 3 At 3.93 and fourth was two at 2.16. We did not have a
single largemouth weighed in - a bad sign!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
BassMr

Way to go Ronnie !
You are the Georgia Iron Man of bass fishing.

Old September 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Thanks, but I suspect it i the level of competition in my clubs.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Thanks, but I suspect it i the level of competition in my clubs.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

=========

Ronnie, when you finish 1st....never apoogize!

Way to go!

John B

Old September 11th, 2008, 08:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com

"Ronnie" wrote in message
Thanks, but I suspect it i the level of competition in my clubs.

It's a good thing I wasn't there, and we were fishing for rock bass, or the
outcome might have been different! :-)
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old September 12th, 2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Very true - I sure am glad you taught me how to catch those critters -
and the samallmouth and largemouth, too!

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old September 12th, 2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

*

=========

Ronnie, when you finish 1st....never apoogize!

Way to go!

John B

No apology - I was proud to win. But I am realistic.....

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old September 12th, 2008, 12:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
gwilber

Good job Ronnie. Especially after driving all day and night. I'm
glad you made it home safe and are back at catching them again!

Gary