three year olds

Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim Apple

Default three year olds

My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at three.
I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just use a hook
and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just get them some
lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has gone through
this, any advice on being successful without making the children hate
fishing please share.

Tim Apple

Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:13:29 -0600, "Tim Apple"
wrote:

If anyone has gone through
this, any advice on being successful without making the children hate
fishing please share.

Hi, Tim. Welcome back.

I've been through this with four grandsons and one granddaughter. Go
the Zepco route. The rod is easy for a youngster to handle and not as
imposing as a long fly rod with line hanging down.

Most importantly, make sure they catch fish right away.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at three.
I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just use a hook
and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just get them some
lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has gone through
this, any advice on being successful without making the children hate
fishing please share.

Tim Apple

FALSE ADVERTISER! FALSE ADVERTISER!

....I mean, seeing the subject, I was led to believe this was going to be
a thread about ROFFians or the Bush or Obama administrations, but nope,
it's about fishing...

That said, first and foremost, I disagree with Louie about making sure
they catch fish. I don't believe in building false expectations. IAC,
as to the type of gear, that depends on the person, be they 3 or 30. I
think if they show an interest, let them be the guide. OTOH, if it's
only you that show an interest in them fishing, I'd hold off on
anything. If they do show an interest and are able to use it, I see
nothing wrong with a fly rod and a whiff.

Frankly, I'm not sure 3 years of age, generally speaking, is old enough
to be actually casting anything with a hook, but 5 or 6 is, again
generally, about old enough. I was using fly, spinning, and baitcasting
rods, albeit with, um, backlash issues on the latter two, to fish by
about 5 (prior to that, I was only instructed and used nothing but a
whiff). By 6 or 7, I was able to use all three fairly well. I suppose
using a "cane pole" setup where an adult tosses the rig and the child
holds the pole is safe enough for 3 year olds, if you simply want to let
them fish.

TC,
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message

I've been through this with four grandsons and one granddaughter. Go
the Zebco route. The rod is easy for a youngster to handle and not as
imposing as a long fly rod with line hanging down.
Most importantly, make sure they catch fish right away.

The other school of thought is that reels (i.e. extra line) are unnecessary
for 4-year-olds. The best equipment may be a long rod (cane pole or
fly rod) with 8 to 12 feet of line. This lets the child get used to
placing
a fly or a worm, then watching for a take and bringing in the fish,
without worrying about a reel.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Jan 23, 9:13*am, "Tim Apple" wrote:
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at three.

Like rdean, I thought this was going to be about ROFF discourse; but
I'll offer my non-scientific opinions anyway.

Three is kinda young to even have a clue what this is all about IMO.
I think it's more important to have them enjoy being near the water,
let 'em throw stuff & make splashes, & sneak in a little knowledge
about what lives there. If you get around to fishing, it's bobber &
worm stuff. Make sure they learn to swim, and teach safety.

Don't put sharp objects in their hands or in their control at that age
(and that especially includes casting.) A shoreline, boat, or pier
where they can sit and drop something right in front of them is best.
For younger folks, it's more fun to be able to see the little fishies
nibbling on a piece of bread at the surface than watching for the
bobber to move some distance away.

There are, of course, several deep and ethical issues regarding the
death of other creatures at our hands. They're not going to
understand, and if they ask, that's probably not what they mean. Keep
it simple. IMO, teaching respect for the environment and those other
lives is important, but that'll be more by example than pedantry.

So, fly rod or Zebco? I'd say neither, until casting becomes a
necessity. Right now, a cane pole or a stick & a string will serve
your purpose.

Joe F.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Tim Apple" wrote in message
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at
three. I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just
use a hook and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just
get them some lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has
gone through this, any advice on being successful without making the
children hate fishing please share.

Tim Apple

I would go this route:
http://www.cabelas.com/ssubcat-1/cat602812.shtml

Let them pick the rod that suits there liking and help with choosing the
lures and bait. Make it fun and when you see that they are not enjoying
themselves quit and fish another day. A buddy of mine has been working on
his young son and I see the kid is starting to show signs he doesn't like it
much. It's because the kid is getting tired of sitting in the boat for
half/full day regardless of whether he is catching fish or not.

I cherish every chance streamside with my son, he will soon be off to
college and I probably won't have the same opportunities until he has
completed his schooling. I hope my 2 yr. old daughter takes a liking to it.
She enjoys the boats rides and hikes on the stream/river, but she's very
young yet...

Good luck,
JT

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Calif Bill

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Dave LaCourse" wrote in message

I've been through this with four grandsons and one granddaughter. Go
the Zebco route. The rod is easy for a youngster to handle and not as
imposing as a long fly rod with line hanging down.
Most importantly, make sure they catch fish right away.

The other school of thought is that reels (i.e. extra line) are
unnecessary
for 4-year-olds. The best equipment may be a long rod (cane pole or
fly rod) with 8 to 12 feet of line. This lets the child get used to
placing
a fly or a worm, then watching for a take and bringing in the fish,
without worrying about a reel.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

A cheap fly rod with the line tied to the end eye and a small worm or fly
and bluegills is the way to go. Make it a cheap rod, so you will not get
upset when something happens to the rod. My wife's good friend's first
husband was all upset when the split heirloom split bamboo rod got busted by
the son when on the first fishing expedition. Max was an idiot. In more
ways than one, but taking a valuable rod fishing with a 5 year old is
idiocy.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Tim Apple wrote:
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at three.
I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just use a hook
and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just get them some
lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has gone through
this, any advice on being successful without making the children hate
fishing please share.

Tim Apple

I've taken my daughter fishing when she was 3. As others have said,
she wasn't coordinated enough to cast any type of rod. I would hook a
bluegill, and let her _try_ and reel the fish in. She usually could
not do that herself, but wanted to. I found the little Zebco setups to
be much easier for her to handle. Fly rods....even 7' rods, were just
too long for her to control. She's 6 now, and still enjoys going to
the pond to fish. She can somewhat cast a bobber setup on her Snoopy
pole, and has no problems landing fish. We mostly fish a small wooly
bugger under a bobber......sometimes we adorn the fly with cheese. She
can work the fly well enough to get the fish to eat it. I have had her
try and cast my fly rods, but she's much more effective with her
Snoopy setup....which directly relates to more fun for her. Our
fishing sessions are usually short. No more than a hour at a time, and
almost always in conjunction with doing other fun stuff.

brians, proud papa
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jan 23, 7:49*am, wrote:

That said, first and foremost, I disagree with Louie about making sure
they catch fish. *I don't believe in building false expectations.

Three years old ain't exactly the time to build the character trait of
patience ;-)

Catching fish is good.

Even at the "best" fish catching place, you'll eventually have a day
when the fish aren't to be found, and then you can start telling them
that that's how fishing goes. But at the start, I'd maximize the
likelihood that the kids are going to catch fish. They don't care what
they are, bullhead, suckers, chubs, sunfish, whatever. I spent many
hours at a golf course pond that only had goldfish and bullheads in
it. A 12" bullhead or gold carp was a trophy! But, we almost always
caught something.

Jon.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Tim Apple wrote:
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at
three. I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just
use a hook and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just
get them some lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has
gone through this, any advice on being successful without making the
children hate fishing please share.

Tim Apple

Always hard to say, as too much depends on the individuals concerned,
but three years old is too young for anything much. I would wait at
least three years before doing anything much at all, and then be
extremly careful about forcing it.

I refuse to give angling instruction of any sort to less than ten year
olds, and will only do it under very specific circumstances anyway.

This is old, but it may give you some insight;

The Legacy

Once upon a time, in a magical land long ago and far away, now almost
lost in the wavering shimmering mists of time, a small boy sat on a
summer afternoon at the side of a small stream below a weir, with his
father, watching entranced, as glinting silver fish were landed with a
magical wand, and sundry other esoteric and fascinating implements, and
were carefully transported to several large jam-jars for his closer
inspection, wonderment and delectation. The Sunday afternoon seemed like
an eternity, and more or less fulfilled the boys vision of paradise.

What could possibly be better than this? He had been to this spot
several times already with his father, and each trip had been a
revelation and a source of endless interest excitement and delight. His
father telling him which birds were which, and how one could tell by
their song and the way they flew, how to tell which trees where which by
looking at the leaves, and all sorts of interesting and fascinating things.

At last the afternoon drew slowly to a close, and the boy lifted one of
the heavy jars preparatory to removing these fascinating and colourful
creatures to his place of dwelling for further study and enjoyment.
"Well", said his father, "You can take them if you like, but they will
only die, there is not enough space in the jar for them, and they need
more oxygen than the water in the jar can supply them with."

The boy was very disappointed at this information, but knowing that his
father was always right in these matters he carefully took the jar to a
shallow place a little further down the bankside and released the fish
slowly from the jar watching entranced as they flashed away into the
faster current above. His father released the contents of the other jars
and the two slowly packed up their equipment placing it all carefully in
the ingenious special boxes and containers designed specifically for the
purpose, and stowed them in the large seat box.

Some of the drawers in the large seat box had not yet been opened in the
boys presence, and he was all agog to know the secrets of their
contents. "Next time we will try for some perch "said his father, "are
they as big as those we caught today " asked the boy, "Oh they are often
much bigger" was the hardly credible reply. "But some of the fish today
were four inches or more" the boy exclaimed, not wishing to be
disrespectful to his father, but hardly able to believe that even larger
and more interesting denizens could be charmed from the tantalizingly
close but nevertheless unreachable depths of the stream, "I have caught
a couple of three inchers with my net, but those were the biggest". "You
will see" said his father.

"When will we go again then father ? how many will we catch? How much
bigger are they, what colour are they, are they silver as well?", the
boys imagination was so fired by the prospect of even greater pleasures
that his stream of questions became almost unintelligible with pent up
excitement and joy. "Next Sunday, we will try to catch a couple, and
then you will see for yourself" his father told him smiling, "in the
meantime I will give you a book to read which describes all the fish and
animals in the stream, how they live, what they look like and how to
catch them". "Next week on your birthday I have another surprise for you
as well".

The week crept slowly by seeming like a lifetime of torture to the small
boy, the book full of unimaginable incredible and hardly understood
secrets was devoured several times over, and not being new in the first
place became rather tattered by the end of the week, his father worked
away, and so he was unable to ask any of the thousand questions burning
in his mind. His mother simply replied "ask your father, when he comes
home", and this was no help at all.

Then at last on the Saturday his birthday finally arrived. He had gone
to bed unable to sleep for excitement and anticipation of the coming
day, determined not to fall asleep in case of missing something. The
chapter on Perch had been read and re-read a dozen times and then he had
somehow unaccountably fallen asleep.

He awoke to find his parents at the foot of the bed and across the bed
was a long thin package wrapped in red cloth. He was immediately wide
awake and looked for quite a while almost in awe at the package knowing
full well that it must contain the object of all his dreams, a wand as
magical as his fathers. He slowly unwrapped the package revealing the
most beautiful thing he had ever seen in his whole life, a lovely yellow
rod of cane with brown blotches and red and black whippings, silver
rings, and a special fitting to attach a reel.

He was speechless with happiness, and was hardly able to tear himself
away from the rod to even get dressed. The next couple of hours passed
in a sort of haze, as even more objects of wonder and delight unfolded
to him, a reel with cotton line from his mother, a set of floats from
his elder brother, several small packets with split shot, and float
rubbers and a host of other things, and then to crown it all a seat box
with drawers and boxes just like his fathers.

He could hardly believe it, his parents were quite poor, and he knew
such things must cost a veritable fortune, how was it possible that they
had obtained such treasures? He thanked them as best he could, and spent
the rest of the day sorting his treasure into the drawers and boxes of
the seatbox, rearranging and replacing every single item, carressing and
savouring each one before placing it so that it was just so in its
rightful place. He knew the contents of his box off by heart, the exact
position and description of every single piece of tackle, and even what
most of it was for.

For some unknown reason the boys father did not take him fishing on the
Sunday, and although disappointed the boy was not too upset as he had
his treasures now, and there would be other Sundays. He knew his father
sometimes had to do things which grown-ups do on Sundays, and was
content to wait, although a week seemed like forever to him then.

It would be nice if the story had a happy end, but for reasons which
have nothing at all to do with the story, and which at the time were
quite incomprehensible to the boy anyway, he never saw his father again,
until almost twenty years later as he lay on his deathbed and the boy,
now a grown man, was called to his side. He was instantly recognisable,
although old and worn and very ill.

It was difficult to say anything at all, and the boy stood in silence
for several minutes before the man in the bed asked him "Do you still
enjoy your fishing?" The ban was broken, and it seemed as if the
sunlight and joy and birdsong of that far off summer afternoon had
entered the dark and gloomy room. The old man´s eyes lit up, and the two
spent a long time talking of fishing and other things, until the nurse
came to shoo the visitor away.

The boy now a man visited his father every day for a week, and plans
were made for a fishing trip as soon as he was well enough. This trip
too unfortunately never materialised, the old man died on the following
Fríday night, passing away peacefully in his sleep. Some of the boys
relatives came to the funeral, and afterwards at the funeral lunch
bemoaned the fact that the old man had left the boy nothing. The boy
kept his silence, and many thought it odd that he just smiled.

"If they only knew" he thought, fingering the old and tattered book in
his suit pocket, seeing again the sunlight dappling the water, and the
bright minnows flashing in the current.

Tight Lines! ~ Mike Connor