three year olds

Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default three year olds

Tim Apple wrote:

You may also find this of interest;

http://books.google.de/books?id=hwgu...result#PPA4,M1

TL
MC
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:21:29 +0100, "
wrote:

Tim Apple wrote:
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at
three. I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just
use a hook and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just
get them some lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has
gone through this, any advice on being successful without making the
children hate fishing please share.

Tim Apple

Always hard to say, as too much depends on the individuals concerned,
but three years old is too young for anything much. I would wait at
least three years before doing anything much at all, and then be
extremly careful about forcing it.

I refuse to give angling instruction of any sort to less than ten year
olds, and will only do it under very specific circumstances anyway.

Yeah, they're naked, male, and Catholic...

Hell, I thought you were the master baiter of the UK by age 3...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, you're calling Issac Hayes and joining the
Super Adventurer's Club...

Sheesh,
Dickey
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:34:13 +0100, "

Yeah, they're naked, male, and Catholic...

Hell, I thought you were the master baiter of the UK by age 3...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, you're calling Issac Hayes and joining the
Super Adventurer's Club...

Sheesh,
Dickey

What a total asshole you are.

And I have good cheese...and apparently, a slave of indeterminate personage, a
rocking chair, and a jug of whiskey...

HTH,
Dickey

Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

DUE TO THE LENGTH OF THE PREVIOUS POST, WE ARE TURNING OFF USENET - IT IS
BROKEN.

THAT IS ALL.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 16:23:51 -0600, wrote:

DUE TO THE LENGTH OF THE PREVIOUS POST, WE ARE TURNING OFF USENET - IT IS
BROKEN.

THAT IS ALL.

Ah, come on, Al.

Old January 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Jan 23, 6:19*pm, Dave LaCourse wrote:
Ah, come on, Al. *

Okay, that's funny. :-)

Joe F.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jan 23, 8:13*am, "Tim Apple" wrote:
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at three.
I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just use a hook
and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just get them some
lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has gone through
this, any advice on being successful without making the children hate
fishing please share.

Tim Apple

Tim,
I did not read all the posts above. I believe it is important for the
kid (and grandkids) to just have some fun with any type of rod to peak
their interest. I bought a 30" pink & green Barbie rod(s) for my
grandkids. Everytime they come over and see the rod, they plead to
take it out back and cast it into the swimming pool. They love it.
Soon, as they get a little older, i will introduce them to the fly
rod. The "pink & green" does look a little out of place in my rod
holder with all the fly rods though. I think Frank saw that "pink &
green" a few years back.

For what it's worth.

Guy
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

As you said I did not read all the post above either.....My .02 I
have 5 grandkids from 2-6......I have a place on a small lake and have
had my grands fishing for yaers older ones that is manly with a closed
face reel small barbless hook and bread......I have been chumming the
water with bread forever so the sunnies and abundant off my dock kids
can catch them until they get tired......The three oldest ones (6 5 5)
can cast a little the thing is is they want to cast it........They
have not been forced to fish they just seem to enjoy it.......Three
oldest have caught fish on a fly rod........Just let them fish if they
want don't make a big deal out of it if they don't.....6 year old
started showing an intrest in the fly rod last year 7 1/2 ft leader
and 10 feet of line not much different than a cane pole...........
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Tim Apple" wrote in message
My boys are asking about fishing, and though I want them to be elitist
bamboo flinging, dry fly snobs. I know this is not very realistic at
three. I have some old heddon glass rods I could rig up, and maybe just
use a hook and corn and go after bluegill, or would it be better to just
get them some lil' zebcos and give in to the spinning rod. If anyone has
gone through this, any advice on being successful without making the
children hate fishing please share.

Tim Apple

bamboo cane poles...ya twist the stick and wrap the line around it and stick
the hook in the butt.

Easy to maintain and use...a farm pond delight for a young learning..and
they' teach their selves to fly fish!

john