Wealthy ROFFIAN- ME!

Old June 29th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Lat705

Default Wealthy ROFFIAN- ME!

Just got an email that I won $2 million in the "British Novo Lotto". Not only
that, but I may win the $20 Billion follow on lottery. I hope I get my money
so I can treat you guys to a drink at the Western Clave. I have to run now and
send them my phone number, SSN, bank acccount number, and some other personnel
info. I wonder what the handling fee will be? It said I was one of 16
winners. How many other ROFFians won??

Lou T
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:51 PM
rw

Lat705 wrote:

Just got an email that I won $2 million in the "British Novo Lotto". Not only
that, but I may win the $20 Billion follow on lottery.

$20 billion??? Don't the British use "billion" to mean a million
million, which in the American usage is a trillion? The GDP of the
entire world is estimated at $47 trillion. :-)

I hope I get my money
so I can treat you guys to a drink at the Western Clave.

Dom Perignon? Chateau Lafite Rothschild?

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen

rw wrote:

Lat705 wrote:

Just got an email that I won $2 million in the "British Novo Lotto". Not only
that, but I may win the $20 Billion follow on lottery.

$20 billion??? Don't the British use "billion" to mean a million
million, which in the American usage is a trillion? The GDP of the
entire world is estimated at $47 trillion. :-)

I hope I get my money
so I can treat you guys to a drink at the Western Clave.

Dom Perignon? Chateau Lafite Rothschild?

No. We europeans use:

10^6 : million
10^9 : milliard
10^12: billion
10^15: billiard
10^18: trillion
10^21: trilliard

it actually makes more sense language wise (-on, followed by -ard).

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email: svend AT sgi.com
SGI Pager: svend_p AT pager.sgi.com
1500 Crittenden Lane Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA
MS 30-2-526

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:51 PM
rw

Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:
rw wrote:

Lat705 wrote:

Just got an email that I won $2 million in the "British Novo Lotto". Not only
that, but I may win the $20 Billion follow on lottery.

$20 billion??? Don't the British use "billion" to mean a million
million, which in the American usage is a trillion? The GDP of the
entire world is estimated at $47 trillion. :-)

I hope I get my money
so I can treat you guys to a drink at the Western Clave.

Dom Perignon? Chateau Lafite Rothschild?

No. We europeans use:

10^6 : million
10^9 : milliard
10^12: billion
10^15: billiard
10^18: trillion
10^21: trilliard

That's what I wrote. Your billion is a million million: 10^6*10^6 = 10^12.

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Joe Ellis

In article , Svend Tang-Petersen
wrote:

rw wrote:

Lat705 wrote:

Just got an email that I won $2 million in the "British Novo Lotto".

Not only
that, but I may win the $20 Billion follow on lottery.

$20 billion??? Don't the British use "billion" to mean a million
million, which in the American usage is a trillion? The GDP of the
entire world is estimated at $47 trillion. :-)

I hope I get my money
so I can treat you guys to a drink at the Western Clave.

Dom Perignon? Chateau Lafite Rothschild?

No. We europeans use:

10^6 : million
10^9 : milliard
10^12: billion
10^15: billiard
10^18: trillion
10^21: trilliard

it actually makes more sense language wise (-on, followed by -ard).

Svend

Seems rather complex to me...

Billiard... isn't that a pool table with no pockets?

Here in the US it's:

10^6 : million
10^9 : billion
10^12: trillion
10^15: quadrillion
10^18: quintillion
10^21: sextillion
10^24: septillion
10^27: octillion
10^30: nontillion
10^33: dectillion

then nothing I know of up until

10^100: google (no, I'm not kidding... and it's where the search engine
got it's name.)

and finally

(10^100)^100: googleplex - the largest named number.

When you consider that the number of atoms in the known universe could be
expressed in terms of googleplex, the need for anything larger is rather
moot, and from the standpoint of our comprehension so close to being
infinite as being indistinguishable.

--

Joe Ellis
Old June 29th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Lou W

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Lat705 wrote:

Just got an email that I won $2 million in the "British Novo Lotto".

Not only
that, but I may win the $20 Billion follow on lottery.

$20 billion??? Don't the British use "billion" to mean a million
million, which in the American usage is a trillion? The GDP of the
entire world is estimated at $47 trillion. :-)

I hope I get my money
so I can treat you guys to a drink at the Western Clave.

Dom Perignon? Chateau Lafite Rothschild?

A nice Anejo please!

Lou W.
"anoying fish in S Cal"

Old June 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Lat705

When you consider that the number of atoms in the known universe could be
expressed in terms of googleplex,

Based on whose defenition of the totality of the universe??

Lou T
Old June 29th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Wolfgang

"Joe Ellis" wrote in message

....and finally

(10^100)^100: googleplex - the largest named number.

When you consider that the number of atoms in the known universe

could be
expressed in terms of googleplex, the need for anything larger is

rather
moot,

Hm.....well, the number of atoms (or subatomic particles, for that
matter) in the known universe.....um.....or any number of
universes.....could also be expressed in terms of dozens......or half
pints.....if you happen to know how many there are in a half pint.

and from the standpoint of our comprehension so close to being
infinite as being indistinguishable.

For many of us, dozens, half pints or bushels would still do as well.

Wolfgang

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Danl

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
For many of us, dozens, half pints or bushels would still do as well.

Wolfgang

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the universal unit of measure is
still, AFAIK, barleycorns per fortnight^2.

Danl

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Stan Gula

"Joe Ellis" wrote in message
then nothing I know of up until

10^100: google (no, I'm not kidding... and it's where the search engine
got it's name.)

Well, actually, to put a nerdy point on it, the number is spelled googol.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=googol

Google explains the name at the bottom of this page:
http://www.google.com/corporate/index.html

Oh, and congratulations Lou! When the money comes in, contact me because if
you let me borrow a mil. I can get $75 mil. from my source in Nigeria.
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps