Ottawa fly fishing

Old May 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM posted to can.rec.fishing
[email protected]

Default Ottawa fly fishing

I have just moved back to the Ottawa area after a 15 year absence. Can
anyone recommend some local spots for bass/crappie fly fishing? I know
the Jock River used to be good but it looks pretty built up now.
Recommended flies would also be appreciated.

Old May 29th, 2007, 08:42 AM posted to can.rec.fishing
[email protected]

On May 25, 5:28 pm, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote:
I have just moved back to theOttawaarea after a 15 year absence. Can
anyone recommend some local spots for bass/crappieflyfishing? I know
the Jock River used to be good but it looks pretty built up now.
Recommended flies would also be appreciated.

Weed growth may have changed your favourite
crappie spots e.g. at Merrickville, and accessible
bass spots e.g. near Billings Bridge. But you
will find quite good FF for bass in theOttawa
River, anywhere you can wade and cast into or
over safe bass holes 3 ft. deep and deeper.

I fishOttawaR. bass with only three flies,
a cork bug (as small as possible), a big
(size 4) Muddler Minnow and a flashy streamer
e.g. Mickey Finn. Some FF swear by leech flies.

Don P
Carlsbad Springs

Don,

Thanks for the info. I've been out on the Rideau at several locations
and had some good success with the panfish. More importantly I'm
getting my casting out to 40 ft in preparation for bass season. I've
arranged to meet up with the OFS on the Ottawa to get some guidance in
that direction.
I've also heard some rumors about possible trout locations near
Calabogie. Problem is there's a million lakes up there. You heard of
anywhere?