Holiday in Canada

Old April 28th, 2007, 07:25 AM posted to can.rec.fishing
macribo

Default Holiday in Canada

Hi all, I'm from Italy and I'm planning with my husband our next holiday in
Canada for the month of Agust from the 19th of Agust until the 9th of
September.
We bought a return ticket to Vancouver.
We like the wild country and my husband would like to go fishing salmon too.
I read on my guide two itinerary but I don't know which one to choose.
1 itinerary :
Vancouver
Victoria
Port Hardy
Prince Rupert (inside passage)
Jasper
Banff
Yoho National Park
Okanagan Valley
Vancouver

2 itinerary:
Vancouver
Victoria
Port Hardy
Prince Rupert (inside passage)
Watson Lake
Whitehorse
Kluane National Park
back to Vancouver

Which one do you suggest us ?
About fishing could you give him any advice ? Is it expensive fishing in
Canada ?

I thank you very much.

Bye bye
From Cristina

Old May 27th, 2007, 04:14 PM posted to can.rec.fishing
Don Phillipson

"macribo" wrote in message

Hi all, I'm from Italy and I'm planning with my husband our next holiday

in
Canada for the month of Agust from the 19th of Agust until the 9th of
September.
We bought a return ticket to Vancouver.
We like the wild country and my husband would like to go fishing salmon

too.
I read on my guide two itinerary but I don't know which one to choose.

1. There are two different sorts of salmon fishing,
sal****er (from a boat) and freshwater (wading in
rivers as the salmon swim upstream to spawn.)
The fish move from place to place, so you need
detailed local information. Prince Rupert is a likely
place, if you stay there long enough (min. half a
day, but you really need a whole day for salmon
fishing, in case the boat needs to travel far from
the harbour.) You should be aware salmon numbers
have declined badly in recent years.

2. There is inland fishing for trout nearly everywhere.
Books published by Saltaire (Victoria) may be
useful guides. Again, you need local information.

3. All fishing requires a licence, and you can probably
buy a permit good for one week for $25 to $50. Licences
are sold at special fishing tackle stores (only a few, in
the larger cities of British Columbia), usually at all
hardware (tool) stores, sometimes at park or government
offices. You can inquire on line, starting at
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/fisheries/l...ing%20Licences

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 28th, 2007, 10:57 PM posted to can.rec.fishing
Crash

I have fished in Prince rupert area a lot. I grew up there. It is true that
fishing has declined.
Given the time you are visiting I would suggest that Port Hardy might afford
you more luck.
Costs vary most guides charge about 600-800 Cdn per day for charters. (up to
4 people seems to be the standard). Oak Bay marine is a good launching point
for your online research. http://www.obmg.com/

Good luck