TUNA!

Old January 18th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Wolfgang

Default TUNA!

Two 6 oz. cans (packed in water) to be precise.

Farfalle with tuna;

Two cans tuna
Two 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes (fresh is better...obviously....if
you find can ripe ones.)
1 clove fresh garlic, minced or grated very fine
1 tablespoon fresh oregano.....or 2 tsp. dried.
12-15 ripe black olives, sliced into rings.....tough ****, Jeffie.
(these are a ubiquitous item in the U.S.....don't know whether
or not they are available in civilized countries, nor what they might
be called, if so)
Fresh coarsely ground black pepper to taste.

Bring tomatoes, garlic, oregano and black pepper to low boil. Add tuna and
bring just to boil. Serve over pasta of choice in pre-heated bowls.
Farfalle (bowties) works very nicely. Shells would probably be even better.

Serves 4.

Meanwhile......

Warm endive, radish, and Brussels sprout salad with lemon and basil
vinaigrette;

2 Belgian endive.
15-20 small (3/4'-1' diameter) white globe radishes.
15 smallish (1" diameter--after trimming) Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, julienned.
4 oz. fresh goat cheese.
Juice of 1 medium lemon
A dozen or so large leaves fresh basil, chiffonaded (use 1 leaf to roll up
all the other into and then slice very thin).
2 oz. white wine of choice.
2 tsp. finely grated or minced fresh ginger.
1 clove fresh garlic, minced or grated very fine.
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil.
Fresh coarsely ground black pepper to taste.
1 tsp. sea salt or Kosher salt

Put lemon juice, wine, garlic, ginger, black pepper, salt and basil in
mixing bowl and toss lightly with a fork. Allow to stand while the
vegetables are prepared.

Trim Brussels sprouts and steam for about 5-7 minutes, till just tender.
Trim and wash radishes--slice in half if they are really round. Cut endive
lengthwise into quarters and pull loose outer leaves away from cores. Cut
Brussels sprouts in half.

Heat oil in a large pan (a large, long handled, flat bottomed wok is my
weapon of choice) over medium-high heat. Add radishes and toss or stir
constantly for about two minutes until they begin to turn translucent. Add
yellow pepper and continue to toss for one minute. Add endive and Brussels
sprouts and gently fold in with a slotted spatula until well mixed.
Continue to cook for about another minute until all ingredients are
thoroughly warmed. Turn heat as high as possible and immediately add
vinaigrette. Continue folding till herb and spices are evenly distributed
and about half the liquid is evaporated.....about a minute and a half.
Serve immediately into individual salad bowls and garnish with a liberal
helping of goat cheese in small pieces.

Serves 4.

Serve both of the above dishes with a fresh crusty white bread and beverage
of choice.

Still working on a dessert selection......I'll get back to you in an hour or
two.

Wolfgang

Old January 18th, 2004, 03:49 AM
B J Conner

Here a couple for you. I have eaten these in Church basements many time and
both are good especially with canned biscuits. I don't think you had enough
lemon, garlic and ginger in with the brussel sprouts. It's hard to put
enough of anything on tme, they will still taste like brussel sprouts.

Tuna Hot Dish #1
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 T. butter, margarine or olive oil
1 can cheap mushrooms, drained (or 5 or 6 fresh mushrooms, sliced)
1 can cheap tuna, drained
1/4 cup sherry (plus a glass for the cook, if you're not a member of a dry
denomination)
1 can cream of whatever soup
8 oz. egg noodles
4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated

Cook the egg noodles according to the directions on the package; drain and
set aside. Brown onions and mushrooms in butter. Stir in tuna, soup, and
sherry; cook until just bubbly. In a casserole (hot dish) dish that looks
like it will hold everything, layer the noodles, tuna, and cheese (probably
two layers; try to come out even, with the cheese on top). Bake, covered, at
350 degrees for half an hour or so. Serves about four, but can be doubled or
quadrupled easily (however, might be unwise to quadruple the cook's sherry
intake).

Tuna Hot Dish #2

1 pkg. potato chips
1 can mushroom soup
1/3 can pimiento
1 can tuna
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 cup white sauce

Crumble potato chips, put half in the bottom of casserole. Add 1 egg,
grated, ½ of chopped pimiento, 1/2 of tuna and ½ can soup. Then, another
layer of chips, etc. Add white sauce. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes.
***********************

Old January 18th, 2004, 04:51 AM
Wolfgang

"B J Conner" wrote in message
Here a couple for you. I have eaten these in Church basements many time

and
both are good especially with canned biscuits. I don't think you had

enough
lemon, garlic and ginger in with the brussel sprouts. It's hard to put
enough of anything on tme, they will still taste like brussel sprouts.

They're supposed to......that's why you use Brussels sprouts.

[...]

You make your own potato chips, or do you use store bought?

Wolfgang

Old January 18th, 2004, 06:03 AM
B J Conner

"Wolfgang" wrote in message
.

****** Snipped discussion of intrest to goumands only.******
You make your own potato chips, or do you use store bought?

Wolfgang

Chips for this cuisine are usually bought at the day old type stores. I get
mine at the Canned Food Outlet.

Old January 18th, 2004, 04:13 PM
slenon

I really prefer the taste of tuna canned in olive oil.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old January 19th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Wolfgang

"John Lindsey" wrote in message
Thank you!
John

You're welcome.

Wolfgang

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:36 AM
Mike Connor

Default TUNA-wonderful!

"Bill Kiene" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
om...
Hi Wolf,

Sounds wonderful..........you do have redeeming qualities after all.

My mom made something like that when we were kids that was not that
sophisticated but I loved it. It was "creamed tuna on toast" but she has
forgot how she made it now.

One 4 oz can of tuna, one small sharp onion, four tablespoons of
mayonnaise, one teaspoon of herbs "provence". Salt and pepper to taste.

Chop the onion fine, mix into the tuna, add the mayonnaise, and mix well.
Add the herbs, mix well, and let stand for a while.

Spread on toast etc. Eat cold, or place under grill with grated cheese on
top.

TL
MC

Old January 21st, 2004, 08:37 AM
Bill Kiene

Hi Wolf,

Sounds wonderful..........you do have redeeming qualities after all.

My mom made something like that when we were kids that was not that
sophisticated but I loved it. It was "creamed tuna on toast" but she has
forgot how she made it now. Like many families we had more kids than money.
My mom made lots of casseroles too. Tamale Pie was another good one. When we
had a pot roast, my mom made lots of brown gravy and if we were still hungry
we had bread with gravy for "filler". My folks had 5 kids so I did not have
a real steak till I was married.

I will save these recipes, thanks.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

Old January 21st, 2004, 02:59 PM
Wolfgang

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
om...
Hi Wolf,

Sounds wonderful..........you do have redeeming qualities after all.

It's a trick.....I do it with mirrors.

My mom made something like that when we were kids that was not that
sophisticated but I loved it. It was "creamed tuna on toast" but she

has
forgot how she made it now. Like many families we had more kids than

money.
My mom made lots of casseroles too. Tamale Pie was another good one.

When we
had a pot roast, my mom made lots of brown gravy and if we were

still hungry
we had bread with gravy for "filler". My folks had 5 kids so I did

not have
a real steak till I was married.

My mother too has forgotten how she used to make most of our old
family favorites. Fortunately, between us my sister and I have been
able to figure most of them out. There's nothing quite like favorite
comfort foods from childhood, just like Mom used to make......however
horrific your doctor thinks them to be.