TR 3: Big Hole

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Kevin Vang

Default TR 3: Big Hole

We were supposed to head home on May 26 to camp with some
friends over Memorial Day weekend, but they phoned us in
MT and told us that the camping trip was cancelled, as it
was pouring rain, which was expected to continue through
the weekend (are we noticing a common theme here?) We
decided that as long as we were in MT, we might as well
camp there, so we spent a few days on the Big Hole before
we left. The rain had the river a little high, although
not nearly as high as it should be in late May, and fairly
discolored. It rained occasionally while we were there,
so I only got out fishing one afternoon. I tried dries
and nymphs with no luck, and finally caught a couple of
small browns on a chartreuse clouser, of all things, that
Chas Wade gave me when we were fishing for salmon in W.

When we finally got home, we arrived in the midst of a
thunderstorm. The grass in the back yard was knee deep,
and it was a real bitch to mow. It's been raining almost
every day since then too, the lawn is too swampy to mow again,
farmers can't seed their fields, and we are hatching a bumper
crop of mosquitos. I'm about ready to go to Death Valley or
the Mojave or something to dry out.

Kevin
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Kevin Vang
wrote:

[...]

Wow! I thought the West was experiencing a drought. Great TR's Kevin

Allen
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Chas Wade

Kevin Vang wrote:
... and finally caught a couple of
small browns on a chartreuse clouser, of all things, that
Chas Wade gave me when we were fishing for salmon in W.

I've heard that cloudy water calls for that sort of thing, but it
hasn't worked for me yet, Good to know it can work.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old June 17th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Kevin Vang

In article , gaepps1
@deleteme.comcast.net says...

Wow! I thought the West was experiencing a drought. Great TR's Kevin

Montana has had 5 or 6 very dry years, and it will take more than a
few weeks of rain to catch them up. North Dakota has been dry too,
but nearly as bad as the mountain states, and I think its fair to
say that we are caught up and then some. Devils Lake has come up
a full two feet this spring, and will probably rise another foot in
the next month or two. I hope to go investigate this weekend.

Kevin