What to do with my retrieve?

Old March 28th, 2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

Default What to do with my retrieve?

On 03/27/2010 02:26 PM, David LaCourse wrote:
What can you possibly mean by fishing the "drift". There is no drift. I
do believe that you are either pulling our collective leg or know
absolutely nothing about fly fishing.

Hi Dave,

Hmm. Is this the first time you have heard the term
"fishing the drift"? I would think with your experience,
you'd be correcting me on particulars aspect of the drift.

It is a simple concept: trout are Kármán gaiting in a
feeding lie. You drift a fake invertebrate past them
in the current. You are fishing "the drift". Sounds
like you do it all the time.

-T
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 03/27/2010 02:26 PM, David LaCourse wrote:
But surely stones aren't the only iddybiddies that get "clumsy". Should
I tie ALL my nymphs up-side-down?

Stones are the only one I know drift up-side-down.
Mayflies a good swimmers, etc.. The idea is
to match what the trout sees, not what looks good
to us.

Ralph Cutter's "Bugs of the Underworld" has
great video footage. I watch my copy over and
over!

-T

p.s. if you superglue your bench to the ceiling,
then you don't have the blood flow problem when you
tie up-side-down. :-)
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 2010-03-27 17:44:54 -0400, "Mark Bowen" said:

Don't mind Davie, he's a bit slow on the up take and hasn't caught the
"drift" of the discussion yet.

You just have to stir the pot, dontcha, ****stain.

Go fishing. Have sex. Pick your nose. Do something with your life.

Wow. More than a bit over the top, don't you think?
What a bitter person you must be!
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-03-27 20:17:46 -0400, Todd said:

On 03/27/2010 02:26 PM, David LaCourse wrote:
But surely stones aren't the only iddybiddies that get "clumsy". Should
I tie ALL my nymphs up-side-down?

Stones are the only one I know drift up-side-down.
Mayflies a good swimmers, etc.. The idea is
to match what the trout sees, not what looks good
to us.

Stoneflies normally swim.

Ralph Cutter's "Bugs of the Underworld" has
great video footage. I watch my copy over and
over!

Oh, I imagine you do. d;o(

-T

p.s. if you superglue your bench to the ceiling,
then you don't have the blood flow problem when you
tie up-side-down. :-)

Nah. Too much trouble. I've been tying flies right side up all my
life and they work just fine.

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-03-27 19:50:31 -0400, Todd said:

On 03/27/2010 02:26 PM, David LaCourse wrote:
What can you possibly mean by fishing the "drift". There is no drift. I
do believe that you are either pulling our collective leg or know
absolutely nothing about fly fishing.

Hi Dave,

Hmm. Is this the first time you have heard the term
"fishing the drift"? I would think with your experience,
you'd be correcting me on particulars aspect of the drift.

You are the first and only person I've heard that "fishes the drift".
I nymph. My friends nymph. My grandsons nymph. My granddaughter
nymphs. My mom and dad nymphed (with wet flies). Peter, Tom, RW, Ken,
Frank, Handyman, et al, nymph. Perhaps Bowan "drifts", but that's only
because he is contrary.

It is a simple concept: trout are Kármán gaiting in a
feeding lie. You drift a fake invertebrate past them
in the current. You are fishing "the drift". Sounds
like you do it all the time.

Tell me, does your invertebrate drift with the surface current, or the
current underneath the surface current?

I drove a Karmann Ghia one time. Porsche wannabe. Piece of ****.

Old March 28th, 2010, 03:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
David LaCourse

On 2010-03-27 17:44:54 -0400, "Mark Bowen" said:

Don't mind Davie, he's a bit slow on the up take and hasn't caught the
"drift" of the discussion yet.

You just have to stir the pot, dontcha, ****stain.

Go fishing. Have sex. Pick your nose. Do something with your life.

YAWN

You've been yawning for almost 60 years, Mark. That's your problem.

Davie

Old March 28th, 2010, 04:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mark Bowen

On 2010-03-27 17:44:54 -0400, "Mark Bowen" said:

Don't mind Davie, he's a bit slow on the up take and hasn't caught the
"drift" of the discussion yet.

You just have to stir the pot, dontcha, ****stain.

Go fishing. Have sex. Pick your nose. Do something with your life.

YAWN

You've been yawning for almost 60 years, Mark. That's your problem.

Davie

It beats the **** out of war-mongering and a desire to torture anyone who
might possibly have heard of someone who knows how to spell the word
terrorist.

Happy nightmares Davie.

Op

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Todd[_2_]

On 03/27/2010 07:50 PM, David LaCourse wrote:

You are the first and only person I've heard that "fishes the drift". I
nymph. My friends nymph. My grandsons nymph. My granddaughter nymphs. My
mom and dad nymphed (with wet flies). Peter, Tom, RW, Ken, Frank,
Handyman, et al, nymph. Perhaps Bowan "drifts", but that's only because
he is contrary.

I call it "nymphing" too. When I say "fishing the drift" I
am being more precise as to what I am doing. Specifically,
I am targeting trout that are Kármán gaiting with temptations
that the trout typically see in their diet.

You can nymph in a lake.

Have you never heard the term "trout feeding off the drift"?
If the term offends you too much, just transpose nymph
with drift.

Tell me, does your invertebrate drift with the surface current, or the
current underneath the surface current?

I guess you missed the part about knowing you got it
right when your line goes slower than the surface
current and you can occasionally feel you split shot
thumping a rock.

You need to go fishing!

-T